strange question.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
crissy7399
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

strange question.

I have a 46bowfront in our dining room that is planted with about 3 different plants and several fish.

I have the hood lights on for about 11 hours a day.

My question is this. Does the rest of the room need to be totally dark during the "off-light" times? Our computer is in the same room about 8-10feet away and as you can see, I'm on it all night and I have the light on in the room as well. (Hurts your eyes just to look at a monitor with no other lights on ). It's a 5 light chandlier but I unscrew all but one which is a 60 watt bulb.

I just don't want to have an algae outbreak from having too much light, or if it's bad for the plants or fish.

THANKS!
crissy7399 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
jastormont
Algae Grower

I do not think it will be too bad at all if the light is not intense. I turn my lights off at about 9 pm each night, but we have other light in the house on for about another 2 hours after this what are in the same room as the tank. The fish seem to settle down quite quick after I turn the tank lights off and plants start to photosynthsyse really quick so I would say no, it is ok to do what you are doing.
jastormont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

Use a timer to turn of during the day (or later in the morning) so that you can enjoy your tank with lights on at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissy7399
I have a 46bowfront in our dining room that is planted with about 3 different plants and several fish.

I have the hood lights on for about 11 hours a day.

My question is this. Does the rest of the room need to be totally dark during the "off-light" times? Our computer is in the same room about 8-10feet away and as you can see, I'm on it all night and I have the light on in the room as well. (Hurts your eyes just to look at a monitor with no other lights on ). It's a 5 light chandlier but I unscrew all but one which is a 60 watt bulb.

I just don't want to have an algae outbreak from having too much light, or if it's bad for the plants or fish.

THANKS!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
triple red
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

unless you light the room with metal halides .....then no your room doesnt have to be totally dark......
Old 04-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Keck
Planted Tank Obsessed

It is actually beneficial to any fish if your room lights are turned off after your tank lights (less stressful).
Old 04-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
crissy7399
Algae Grower

thank you. Keck, I had read about that as well, just didn't know if keeping it on for 4 more hours would be overkill~ !

BlueRam.. I just bought one! very helpful!!! I thought about that as well, but we actually have sunlight coming in during the morning and it hits the tank, it's about 10-12 feet from the windows, but the windows are huge and it's direct sunlight for at least an hour. So I figured I need to add that time to the lights as well.

Thanks everyone.. I feel much better about staying up to the wee hours of the night!
crissy7399 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
filipnoy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

I figure the moon is out at night, so a little light shouldn't hurt... so long as it's pretty dark in the aquarium.

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
filipnoy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.