10 Gallon CRS Minimalist - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

View Poll Results: What variation of neocardina should I house with CRS?
Orange Pumpkin 3 20.00%
Yellow Fire 2 13.33%
Chocolate 0 0%
Blue Velvet 2 13.33%
Blue Diamond 6 40.00%
Rili of some kind 2 13.33%
Supreme Red (already have some elsewhere) 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #31
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'd consider you a neighbor. There's actually not that many people on this forum from Colorado as a whole...

The substrate issue finally got sorted out, and it's going to arrive next Tuesday. OMG I CAN'T [censored] WAIT!!! And I will add a poll soon because I plan to keep some Neos in here too. The question is, what color.
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #32
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

d. i stuck my mesh wall into the substrate but i didn't put any fissidens on the lower inch of the mesh. I do want to remove mine like acitydweller said lol but I figure I should give it a chance to grow out first. right now it looks ugly and unnatural as heck

get whatever color you like just fyi, i started with yellow neos and I thought they are a lot more impressive in pictures than in person. (not talking about professional photoshopped pics, even my own crappy iphone pics) I'm assuming this applies to the blue neos as well but I haven't owned them so no idea. I'll wait until I get a chance to see them in person. I do like my reds though (it looks more like a painted on style instead of an opaque style) but I'm always tempted to cull the males until I think about what happens if I culled all the less red ones and are only left with females lol

what substrate did you end up going with? that could make an impact on what color neo to get
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #33
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I decided to go with ADA New Amazonia, mainly because it would lower ph and kh.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #34
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Angry 10 Gallon CRS Minimalist - finally filled!

Time for a big update... it's been a while since I've posted on this thread.

Well firstly I didn't get the thing filled until a couple days ago for a few reasons. My AS took forever to get here, and then thanks to the Parents Against Planted Tanks Act (PAPTA) I couldn't find time to fill it. When I did fill it finally, I forget to spray the soil first so it got ****ed, then I was trying to pour the water in carefully but the plastic petri dish wouldn't sink and I dumped too much water in accidentally, causing a lot of cloudiness. (It eventually settled but now the wood has a layer of fine dust on it.) Again thanks to the PAPTA I had to fill it in 3 sections due to enraged parents, which by the second time my moss wall was already pretty much dried up even though I sprayed it down a lot. I'm thinking about taking the wall out cuz I hardly had any taiwan moss to start with, what I had dried up, and the stupid suction cups are not staying put!!! I spent at least an hour tying moss to SS mesh, let me tell you first hand it was not fun.

So if you didn't read through that whole rant, basically I had a terrible start. However, on the bright side it's showed nitrates within 24 hours, probs cuz I seeded the aquaclear. At least I won Ebi's RAOK of moss, something to look forward to. Dilemmas:

1) How do I attach fissidens to driftwood if I don't want to take it out? I tried gluing it with superglue but the moss turned white then dried up. Not exactly what I was hoping for.
2) Should I do water changes?
3) How long will it be before I can stock shrimp? Like, when will it stop leaching ammonia.
4) The water is still kinda murky, but it's a whitish milkiness, not brown. What's the problem, or how can I fix it?
5) How much moss are you supposed to tie onto a piece of mesh for optimal results? I think I tied a bit too less.

I will post pix when my homework is done and when I decide to not be lazy any more.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #35
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This journal must be really boring because I've yet to get more replies... oh well whatevs. Time for pixorz! From front to back: fissidens, "mini xmas", flame, and taiwan. FTS:

Which one of these below is actually "Mini Xmas Moss"? Both were sent to me as "Mini Xmas Moss" but they are obviously quite different.

A little moss farm I have for all the extra bits and pieces that I haven't used yet. Thanks to Ebi for an amazing moss RAOK, and now I have 9 types! Yay! The petri dishes hold samples I received.

Yes it's cycling! When should the soil stop leaching ammonia?

Also, I have some white fuzz/moldy stuff on the wood, and I know it'll go away by itself eventually but why is there a little on my Amazonia? Did I tie too much moss or not enough on my SS pieces? Lastly I will be buying some small crypts so if you have any for sale please PM.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #36
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default 10 Gallon CRS Minimalist

Small crypts are great with moss!

I love your tank and scape. The foresight says it will look amazing after some moss tweaks. (It never grows the way we intend)

1-- The white stuff is normal. Put snails in the tank.

2-- More moss is better, almost always. Just in different ways, sometimes. Mosses like fissidens don't work well when piled together, just make sure you put them at strategic intervals. If you have extra, make smaller intervals.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #37
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ugh I don't have any snails... what kinds would you suggest?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #38
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
Ugh I don't have any snails... what kinds would you suggest?
Really? No 'pest' snails?! I'm shocked!

I love my snails. Maybe see if you could get some golden pond snail culls from Jake. (Lol sorry Jake, I like them too much to not recommend them)

I find that snails -
A help in cycling
B hold a cycle so shrimp can just go right in
C keep down on overall green algae, clean wood fuzzies.

I keep pond, ramshorn and MTS in all my tanks lol.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #39
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Just remember once you get snails you will always have snails and people will usually pay a little bit more for moss that has no snails. The leeching on aquasoil for me has taken anywhere from 3-8 weeks
Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #40
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No seriously I have a 55 gallon, a 5 gallon, and this 10, never had any pest snails. Some pond snails came on my riccia and moss but I soaked it in tap for about a week, let them fall out, and crushed 'em all. I got a ramshorn once from H4n, but it died in my moss farm. :P
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #41
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew View Post
Just remember once you get snails you will always have snails and people will usually pay a little bit more for moss that has no snails. The leeching on aquasoil for me has taken anywhere from 3-8 weeks
Dang I don't know if I can wait that long... is it possible that I could maybe develope an amazing biological filter and then add shrimp earlier? 3 weeks is a long time. I might get some snails that are of value... not just normal 'pest' snails.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #42
lamiskool
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

One thing your going to have to develope with keeping an aquarium I found out is patience! If you try and rush things it can hurt the livestock or cut their lifespan. Also when Ive rushed things when setting up new aquariums, something always ends up going wrong so ive learned over time to just be more patient.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #43
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Patience? What's that? JK, I know it's something I don't have. Guess I should probably just chill and wait for the moss to grow. Maybe I should add a fish or too just for fun.

Still no positive IDs for the mosses? Thank you everyone for the interest.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #44
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Without a cycle, adding fish would be signing a warrant to at least Torture them.

My standard snail statement:
I find they're a great indicator of tank health. They reproduce if you have a habit of overfeeding. So when they reproduce too much, you know not to feed that much going forward!

They also help feed your shrimp and keep your tank clean. That's all just my own opinion.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Any more pics of the moss? Some of my portions look much smaller and more dead than yours.
PS
Still a fantabulous RAOK. I'm so happy for weeping moss!
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3

Last edited by CPDzeke; 05-15-2013 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: .....
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crs, crystal shrimp, derimmed, minimalist, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.