DIY Co2 back flow into PFR tank HELP!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
raesunrae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

DIY Co2 back flow into PFR tank HELP!!

Can anyone help me? I'm pretty sure my DIY co2 mix back flowed into my fully planted 10G shrimp tank.

The reason I say pretty sure is because there were several factors that occurred within over a week before, to right before that I noticed my very clear (7 months established) shrimp tank suddenly became cloudy overnight earlier this week.

These are the most recent things I did BEFORE the cloudy slime;

1. Bought a piece of driftwood from Petco that was in a livestock tank. I did boil this piece for at least 2 hours and let it dry for a couple days before introducing.(2 weeks ago)

2. Did a 50% water change and vacuumed gravel pretty heavily for the first time in awhile. (last weekend)

3. Changed out filter media on both filters but kept in the bio media. (last weekend)

4. Added Indian Almond leaves to ALL my tanks on Wednesday for the first time. (No other tanks are cloudy.)

On Thursday morning, the lights came on and my 10g PFR tank was cloudy and white. I was very surprised because this tank has never been cloudy. The filters were barely trickling as well. (AC 20 and Fluval Internal Filter with spray bar.)

I took the filters out and noticed the media was covered in thick clear slime and had a foul odor. I have noticed an increase in pond snails so I thought maybe pond snail eggs.

I checked my water parameters and found

0 ammonia
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
ph 6.4-6.6

I could not get an accurate read on GH because color change was not really changing. It kind of started light green after first drop and just got darker green after each drop.

I cleaned the media with distilled water and replaced the sponges with new and did another 50% water change. While I was replacing the filters I noticed that my co2 bottle was on it's side and only about 1/3 full. I had one of those wood diffuser blocks to disperse co2 in the tank. No check valve. :/ Co2 line and diffuser was removed and not replaced.

Tonight I came home from work and the filters were barely running again. I do keep pantyhose nylon over Fluval filter intake and Fluval pre filter sponge over AC intake to keep the babies out of the filter. I changed about 60% water again tonight and took the Fluval sponge off intake of AC as it was clogging the flow.

Shrimps are still swimming around and I have found some newborns swimming around as well, so I have been fishing them out of the siphoned water and putting them back in the tank.

What else should I do? Drain the entire tank and clean all the substrate (Eco-complete) and start again?? Has this destroyed all my good bacteria? Will I ever get the co2 mixture all out?

I do have a spare 20G long and a new filter in my garage that's never been used but that would be over kill as I only have about 25-30 PFR's in this tank. As well, I already have another 20g long rasboras tank, 8g Ebi RCS, 3g soon to be shrimp tank, and 1.5g Betta tank going in my apartment and it looks like a fish store when you walk in!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

Last edited by raesunrae; 03-30-2013 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: additional info
raesunrae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

First thing I'd suggest is ditch the DIY CO2. Second, if you can, setup the 20L. Great tank for shrimp and 25-30 shrimp is a great number to start a nice colony. If you can get some media from the other tanks, do that so you don't have to worry about a cycle.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi, I am not sure about the co2 issue; however, you said, "I cleaned the media with distilled water and replaced the sponges with new and did another 50% water change." If I am not mistaken, this is another issue as well that causes mini cycles.....it is a good practice to clean all media with used tank water that you remove from tank...also before replacing any media it is a good practice to piggy back the media first for 1-2 weeks before removing the media (seed new media with old media)......your tests showed all 0's across the board which very well maybe a mini cycle...
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Thank you. Yes..I did ditch the co2 immediately when I realized what had probably occurred. I think you're right. I need to just set up the other spare 20G tank I have. Do you think I can still use my same substrate from the co2 mix disaster in my 10g? I have black Eco in both my PFR 10G and my current fish 20G fish tank. Maybe a good rinse and adding a few cups from my other tank will seed it?

I'm so damn upset right now..I had this thing! I was doing so good. I did 2 saltwater tanks in the past and succeeded exceptionally well with no previous experience. UGH!!!! This stinks!

On top of that, I ordered some rasboras for my 20g that arrived yesterday and 3/4 were DOA! They had them double bagged in regular plastic and the water was yellow and smelled SOOO bad when I opened it! Filled with poop!!! WTH???

Thanks for taking time out to give me your advice. I REALLY appreciate it.

Rae

Last edited by raesunrae; 03-30-2013 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 03-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Thank you..Yes, I always clean my media with tank water from the tank I am cleaning. However, I didn't feel that cleaning the media with sugar/yeast water from the tank if I was trying to rid the sugar and yeast. I just figured that distilled water as better than the current slime I was dealing with and better than tap.

That's why I chose distilled. Probably another mistake.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Rae

Last edited by raesunrae; 03-30-2013 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 03-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Btw...I tested the water before I did any water change when I noticed it was cloudy.

I tested the tank water first. Then I tested what I was putting back in after the water change to make sure it was close in range.

Thank you!

Rae
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

It'll be fine, people put yeast in their water all the time, it's one of the main ingredients in borneowild bebi.

Just do a water change, you might get a bacterial bloom, but as long as you keep the water well aerated, it should be harmless.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Thank you so much!!

I have been so stressed about this! I've done the 2 major water changes this week and I'm afraid that the mini cycles may kill my shrimp.

I took a small amount of media from another tank filter and added it to this filter after my latest water change tonight.

I hope and pray they make it through this mess I accidentally created!

Thanks again!

Rae

Tags
co2, diy, mucus, shrimp, slime

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.