aquarium lawn plants emersed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 10-29-2003, 04:51 PM   #1
DanConnor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Its always hard to find nice groundcovers for vivaria. Moss is hard to maintain; selaginella is probably the best; also there are various ficus vines but they can be quite invasive.

There are so many for aquariums, and I bet some would grow in a moist humid environ. Glossistigma, pearl grass, babys tears, mini swords etc.

Anybody tried it?
DanConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2003, 02:14 AM   #2
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

Glosso, baby tears, and micro swords do fine emersed. Not sure about how they would fair as marsh plants, but I'd assume that if they grow emersed, they'll grow fine in moist soil.

As for ficus repens, I periodically chop mine down to its nubs...always grows back (and fast). And my soil is VERY moist...

Also, I've had great luck with some sort of common clover...it grows low and thick given decent lighting. Doesn't mind the soggy soil...spreads very fast.

For more options, check out www.blackjungle.com -- they have a bunch of suggestions.

From what I have read and experienced, *most* aquarium plants will do fine emersed or in a moist environment. After all, most aquarium plants are grown emersed...I think its cheaper and easier (?). You can always pick up a few aquarium plants and try it out...be prepared for some "uh oh, I think its dead" moments. Never say die...let them do their thing and hopefully they will adjust to the new environment.

As for the moss--how are you growing it? Did you take clumps and stick them in or did the moss grow (naturally) on the substrate? I find its much easier to maintain if you let it grow in on its own.

^iMp^
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
DanConnor
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips. I currently have a couple Anubias that are doing fine.

I'm lucky enough to live close to BlackJungle, and have gotten many plants from them. Well worth a visit- they have an awesome greenhouse!

They have an oakleaved ficus that is very nice- better behaved than the standard; grows slower and denser with smaller leaves. I love it.

I just get the moss out of the woods- its lasts long in areas that are very moist (right under the mister) and very bright. I think my viv was a bit dry for moss before I repaired the mister, we will see now...
DanConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:11 AM   #4
Wheat
Algae Grower

Java moss grows great in wet areas out of water.
Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote