Johnson18's Emersed Tanks - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 AM   #121
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

Same thing happened to me Johnson, and probably got it from the same person. Thats why i was asking you for pics, but it was hard to tell if yours was different. It is a cool spathe though.
denske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 04:28 AM   #122
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
These plants are so cool. I wish i knew more about the different varieties of crypts to fully appreciate some of these rarer ones, but either way they look great!

So kind of a random question as i'm curious (apologies if this was asked or answered already), but what made you get into keeping emersed setups? Just personal choice, larger variety of plants, easier maintenance, looking for something new? All of the above? lol

I'm always curious what drives people into new avenues of a hobby, especially the ones i havent explored myself!
I've always enjoyed tropical flowering plants, hell really just plants in general. I found the Crypt Club thread and the read entire thing one night!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=158684

From there a google search lead me to Jan's Crypt Pages.
http://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html

From there it was all downhill...the addiction had begun. Haha... It probably didn't help that I had recently decided to major in a plant related biology field. Which has now been narrowed down to Plant Sciences at U of A. The easy maintenance certainly is a huge appeal. I'm really enjoying the variety as well. I have always really liked Aroids without really knowing what they were. Through my research on Crypts I learned a ton about other aroids and have started adding some of the terrestrial & epiphytic species to my collection of plants.

I've listed a bunch of other useful Cryptocoryne related sites in post 43 if you're wanting more information. As far as info on emersed set up, they're pretty simple. If you have any questions let me know.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #123
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had started an emersed Crypt collection 6 years ago, but it was mainly for grow out purposes. This has inspired me to start it again!

8" Cube - Planted w/CO2 (inj), Eco-Complete, & Sat+
8" Cube - Planted w/CO2 (liq), MGOPS & Sat+
8" Cube - **Pending**
12"x12"18" - Vivarium Grow Out (immersed)
36"x18"18" - Carnivorous Vivarium
20"x10"x6" - Grow out (submersed)
Archerofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #124
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
I've always enjoyed tropical flowering plants, hell really just plants in general. I found the Crypt Club thread and the read entire thing one night!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=158684

From there a google search lead me to Jan's Crypt Pages.
http://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html

From there it was all downhill...the addiction had begun. Haha... It probably didn't help that I had recently decided to major in a plant related biology field. Which has now been narrowed down to Plant Sciences at U of A. The easy maintenance certainly is a huge appeal. I'm really enjoying the variety as well. I have always really liked Aroids without really knowing what they were. Through my research on Crypts I learned a ton about other aroids and have started adding some of the terrestrial & epiphytic species to my collection of plants.

I've listed a bunch of other useful Cryptocoryne related sites in post 43 if you're wanting more information. As far as info on emersed set up, they're pretty simple. If you have any questions let me know.
Thanks for the great info i've always been very interested in trying to combine emersed and submersed. Not quite riparium style, but more of a paludarium type tank. Although without having any first hand experience with the emersed side of things, ive restrained from designating a tank to this. I have some spare plants and a ten that has the slightest leak on one of the edges, but would definitely work for an emersed setup. All the motivation i need to give it a try!

Thats a very interesting/cool major!! Have you decided what your going to focus on/specialize in? I majored in wetland ecology, but specialized in mitigated vs natural wetland habitats in regards to waterfowl and aquatic inverts rather than the plant side of things.

Anywho, thanks again! Now i have some reading to do
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #125
allabouttheplants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i am thinking of starting an emersed tank of my own. i do have some questions i hope someone can answer. can blub plants like apongenton species, nymphaea zenkeri, and crinum thaianum be grow or at least started this way?
allabouttheplants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #126
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Default Johnson18's Emersed Tanks

It's awesome to hear this has helped inspire people to start/restart emersed tanks!

My tanks were moved into the bed of my truck yesterday evening! We are now almost to Shreveport, LA, where we'll stop for the night and visit with a couple friends! Everything seems to be staying within a reasonable temperature with one side window of the camper shell opened about 2-3". I'm gonna crawl in and mist the tanks well when we get to the hotel. Thought I'm not sure how much they'll need it with all the bouncing & sloshing of water in the tanks.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #127
exv152
Wannabe Guru

Crypts are some of my favorite plants. I hope you're moving, otherwise traveling with your crypts in your truck is taking the addiction to a whole new level...
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #128
austin.b
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Crypts are some of my favorite plants. I hope you're moving, otherwise traveling with your crypts in your truck is taking the addiction to a whole new level...
lmao! haha Nice one!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #129
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Drive careful and avoid accident causing morons on the road! There are a LOT of them.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #130
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post

Hey man, we've all got our own addictions.... Hahahahaha!!! Lmfao!

We made it safely! Plants all look good. Some of the plants that went into net pots will need to be repotted as they got sloshed around pretty good. While I was unloading them out of my truck yesterday I glanced in a noticed that the C. affinis "metallic red" 'pahang barat' has put out a spathe during the trip! Pretty cool!
Old 05-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #131
kisanjong
Algae Grower

That's great news and a nice bonus with the spathe :clap:
kisanjong is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #132
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisanjong View Post
That's great news and a nice bonus with the spathe :clap:

Thanks! Unfortunately I went to take a picture of the affinis spathe today & it had already melted.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #133
kisanjong
Algae Grower

Such a shame and the other plants are still ok?
Old 05-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #134
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisanjong View Post
the other plants are still ok?
I think so. Still haven't gotten them moved into my room and running heaters/lights. That will happen early in the day today, though my main focus is getting my 55 restarted with its new MG substrate and looking decent prior to a bunch of people coming over here for a graduation party for a friend of the family's that just got his masters. Once I have time to really check things out in these tanks I will do a proper update.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #135
kisanjong
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the updates

Tags
bucephalandra, cryptocoryne, crypts, emersed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.