Johnson18's Emersed Tanks - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #76
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

C. pontederiifolia

The C. griffithii in the center of this image is an awesome plant so far! In person, the lighter patches within the green are almost a metallic silver! When you shift the plant or your head ...haha... The silver patches change color. It's super cool!

20L

As you can see the Anubias barteri nana is about to bloom again! The

If anyone has question on what a specific plant may be or anything feel free to ask!

Last edited by johnson18; 12-25-2013 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Words
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #77
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Here are a few updated shots of the C. pontederiifolia.

The plant growth has been pretty impressive lately. Check out the size of the smallest plantlet in the photos a few days ago versus today. I will try to get shots of this developing spathe every few days over the course of its life span. I will be checking it daily so I don't miss out on anything.

Last edited by johnson18; 12-27-2013 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: .
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #78
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

C. pontederiifolia

This plant came to me with a group of C. nurii, it didn't look quite the same but quite similar. I asked the seller who said it was part of the same group of nurii. As some of the other nurii have really started growing well in their emersed state they look very similar to this plant. I guess we'll know for sure soon as I spotted the start of a spathe, maybe two. Still hard to get a good picture of the small spathe in the middle of this clump...

You can see the small spathe in the last photo just above the tiny leaf in the middle of the picture. Compared to the whole clump it is tiny, maybe a couple inches max.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #79
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So, I'm adding a new 55 next to my emersed set ups. I've gotta find a cheap shelving unit I can stack my 55s onto. It's not like their super heavy & full of water. So anyway, if you haven't seen my post over in the Rip/viv/terrarium forum, I have almost 30 different Tillandsia species/varieties being delivered tomorrow or Saturday! If you're interested in following along... check it out!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=514745
Old 01-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #80
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Well my original thoughts about this plant have been shown to be correct, it's a wendtii. This is actually the first C. wendtii spathe I've had.

While wet...

Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #81
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

C. pontederiifolia is at it again!

I've been dealing with no running water at home for a few days now, which is hopefully fixed now(waiting for glue to dry before testing again.) I'm hoping I'll have time to go through the tank soon to see if anything else might have a spathe or be blooming.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #82
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Well, I finally got around to checking out what's up in this tank tonight. The pontederiifolia & the green wendtii are both at it again. I didn't take the time to take pictures of those two plants as the spathes are not fully developed yet.

I've got a different species with a spathe too! Looking at when this came in, this plant came in with about 6-8 species all together unlabeled. This particular plant is either C. usteriana x walkeri or a version of C. undulata that was described to have slender waxy green leaves w/ a red underside.

As you can see the spathe isn't open yet. The leaves of this plant are the largest of all the crypts I've got at this point.

I've got a pretty good idea which of the two plants it is but I'm going to wait until I can confirm the identity though the open spathe.

Anyone with more experience than myself wanna take a guess at which of the two plants this is?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #83
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Well the spathe is open! I'll take it out later today to get some better pictures! But here's a teaser!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #84
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Cool collection!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #85
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Cool collection!
Thanks! I've really enjoyed watching everything growing!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #86
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

The C. usteriana x walkeri has a spathe that just started opening yesterday evening. I still haven't been able to get a detailed picture of this spathe while open. The yellow just over power the fine details. I've got a older digital camera I might bust out to see if I can get a clearer picture than the iphone will get. I can at least adjust light levels and such on the older camera.

The C. pontederiifolia has had probably 3 maybe 4 more spathes since the last one I photographed. The most recent one was mostly melted yesterday. I expect this plant to slow down for a while as I just pulled one of the larger plantlets out to plant in my flooded 55.

The pot of C. wendtii started producing spathes and hasn't quit. Since the first spathe, there hasn't been a time it didn't have at least one open, often there are at least 2 at a time. I know it's a basic crypt but it's still pretty cool to see! The these plants are in is getting super full. I guess it'll soon be time to do some repotting. I'll probably keep a small group and maybe raok a few to people interested in starting an emersed crypt tank or something....

The (six?) pots of C. nurii are also starting to explode with growth. lots of baby plants starting to pop up everywhere. No recent spathes.

I take some new photos this evening and get them posted.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #87
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Here is an iPhone pic of the C. usteriana x walkeri spathe. As you can see it's not fully open.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #88
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I'm really starting to think about expanding my emersed systems. One of the local thrift stores has a huge stack of 20 longs for like $5 ea. I was thinking about maybe slapping a layer of silicon on the empty(and leaky) 55 I've got. Although I can set up a couple 20 longs for the price of the silicon. haha... I'd need a couple more cheap clamp on domes either route... already have some extra bulbs. I think I've got a heater or two that would do the trick for a 20L too. I was looking at a couple different 120s and 125s on craigslist, but I don't wanna have to deal with that size tank yet. I think I will have more control of the environment in the smaller tanks too.

I'd like more room to have labeled pots of stems and to be able to play around with plant propagation. Don't be fooled by the previous sentence too much, I want more crypts too. I'd like to have space to really expand the collection of Cryptocorynes to include some of the less common species. At the same time I don't want to get rid of the common species just yet.

I think it would also be nice to set up a tank that is specifically for the hard water Crypts. My current systems are both geared more toward the black water species.

Last edited by johnson18; 02-04-2014 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Add
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #89
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Well, that didn't take long. Just picked up two 20L and a 10g for $10! Hahaha Wooo.... There were two or three more 20L and a 10 still there.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #90
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Well I just added a small submersed grown Crypt. sp. 'Flamingo' from AaronT into this tank! Hopefully it'll adjust well! I'll be keeping a close eye on the plant for the next week or so!

The actual little plant!

Tags
bucephalandra, cryptocoryne, crypts, emersed