Johnson18's Emersed Tanks - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #61
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I've also got this blooming! Not aquatic, although it loves water enough it should be...haha... But most definitely an Aroid!

johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #62
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

You're a flowering machine. Looks awesome man
Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #63
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Here is a better shot of the outdoor Aroids!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I found my oldest dog laying in the light next to my 55 gallon crypt tank this morning! The blinds on the windows above this tank have been adjusted so it receives a small bit of filtered sunlight daily. The light moves from one side of the tank to the other as the afternoon goes on, south facing window. The plants actually seem to be responding well to it. Several are filling in, growing taller, it is nice to see! I hope to add several more crypt species during the month if October! I've been doing a lot of reading and research on different crypts and their growing habits. I've already got a list going of the plants I want & who had had them for sale recently or in some cases who is growing them. Over the next few weeks I will try to discuss and share my research on the plants I'm interested in. I would love to get input from some of the more experienced crypt keepers on their experiences with certain species. This might help other newbies from making some of the same mistakes that others have already learned from.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #65
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I found another Crypt. nurii spathe last night! It is still really small, so I will keep an eye on it. The plant it is on has been growing well lately, so maybe this one will actually open!! I will try to get some pictures soon, of the set up in general as there has been a lot of growth lately! I've just been crazy busy with school, which is not a surprise as all of my classes are pretty intense this semester!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #66
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Here are several pictures of my 55!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #67
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Man everything looks great! So healthy and green. Lots and lots of growth.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #68
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Man everything looks great! So healthy and green. Lots and lots of growth.
Thanks man! Some things have done much better then other species. I think I have only lost one species so far, C. hudoroi. This was my mistake by even ordering this plant as my tank is not suited for its hard water demands.

I've tossed a few different moss types into the pots. I'm still adding more if I find I've got extra, same thing with small bits of foreground plants.

I really enjoy seeing what different plants of the same species are doing in different parts of the tank. C. nurii is one of these that I'm particularly fascinated by! I have six different pots of C. nurii that were originally from two different sources each split into three pots. The number of plants from each source was different but I've given some away, so I think its even now. The plants were all pretty small to start. Some have stayed small but produced a decent qty of small leaves. A couple are much larger plants about the size of medium/large wendtii with leaves from med. greenish brown to a much darker brownish color. The split between large and small is not evenly divided between the two sources. I find it cool to watch and note these differences.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #69
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Thanks man! Some things have done much better then other species. I think I have only lost one species so far, C. hudoroi. This was my mistake by even ordering this plant as my tank is not suited for its hard water demands.

I've tossed a few different moss types into the pots. I'm still adding more if I find I've got extra, same thing with small bits of foreground plants.

I really enjoy seeing what different plants of the same species are doing in different parts of the tank. C. nurii is one of these that I'm particularly fascinated by! I have six different pots of C. nurii that were originally from two different sources each split into three pots. The number of plants from each source was different but I've given some away, so I think its even now. The plants were all pretty small to start. Some have stayed small but produced a decent qty of small leaves. A couple are much larger plants about the size of medium/large wendtii with leaves from med. greenish brown to a much darker brownish color. The split between large and small is not evenly divided between the two sources. I find it cool to watch and note these differences.
The one I got from u flourished then I moved it about 4" to a different spot in the same tank and it melted and never came back
Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #70
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Default Johnson18's Emersed 55 & 20L! Two C. nurii Spathe 7/24!!!!

Yeah weird little plants. I will get a picture of the differences soon. I just had to pull all of my tropical plants in from outside as the weather is getting colder.

Plus there are a few other smaller ones around, a couple hanging baskets.

One of the plants that I've been playing with all summer is a small Schefflera arboricola. It was something that came from a local nursery that they got in as a bonsai "starter" tree. This looked like it hadn't been touched in a couple years and while it seemed to have a nice few main branches there were all sorts of random stragglers. While it had been growing nicely, it look like sh*t as far as passing as a tree. Another season of growth it could've been a crummy shrub. Hahahaha.
When I got it this spring I sat on my front porch for a couple hours, trimming it down to a semi decent shape. I really spent close to a month before I finally was happy with how it was pruned & poised for future growth! I then let the tree grow all summer long!

I've got absolutely zero bonsai experience, so I'm really just playing with this. I've done some reading online as well as watching videos. I'm kinda learning as I go. I feel like this tree has a lot of potential looking down the road a few years at least. I'm hoping for the nice Banyan tree look. Being as such I think this is going to go into the 55 emersed for the winter. I'll probably toss a brick or scrape block of 2x4 into the tank to keep the pot out of the water. This should encourage the tree to produce the air roots! I'm pretty excited about this!
Anyone have any experience when it comes to these things?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #71
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Default Johnson18's Emersed 55 & 20L! Two C. nurii Spathe 7/24!!!!

Here are some shots of the different Crypt. nurii in my 55!

With the exception of the Anubias bar. nana petites that have recently been tossed in with some of the smaller plants pretty much all of these are C. nurii!

I also repotted the Schefflera and placed it in one corner of the tank.

I've decided to try and start my own little plant bank. Haha... I'm basically gonna try to make sure that any species I've got in any of my tanks that I've also got some growing emersed!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #72
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Looks amazing man
Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #73
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I found a C. nurii seed pod! It's already a little old.

I also did a huge trim in the 20L and added several different stem plants.

I'll have pics today.

Last edited by johnson18; 11-30-2013 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: BAM
Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #74
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Note to self(& everyone else!!): Check your plants often!! If you don't you could miss awesome things.... Like I almost did here.

Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia

Last edited by johnson18; 12-24-2013 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Plant name...whoops
Old 12-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #75
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I took a bunch of pictures last night(early this morning?) of these two tanks. I found that the Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia that I found the dying spathe(see last post^^^) on not long ago has another developing. Many of the other crypts have been growing like crazy, some have spectacular colors and patterns on their leaves. The over all look of the tank is quite different then the last set of full tank shots I took in November. I will sort through the photos and post the better ones today.

I've not really added any new crypts, although I did add two more small pots of C. parva. I have added several new species of stem plants. Most of the went into the 20L but a few pots went into the 55.

I am planning on setting up a new grow tank that is more of a terrarium, but not in the sense that it will be a layout that is scaped in a natural way. I want to set up a tank to grow some of the different bromeliads, maybe some orchids. I may end up with two systems, on for lower humidity levels and on for higher.

I will also be expanding my collection of Aroids/Arums.

I will probably document these systems and plants in this thread out of pure convenience.

Tags
bucephalandra, cryptocoryne, crypts, emersed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.