Johnson18's Emersed Tanks - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #31
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I did. And after looking at this thread again it appears I copied u. Hahaha. Considering using 3" mesh pots with coco tek liners and soil would cost me around $20 for 20 pots and I could fit more in my 10 gallon. I'm gonna get a piece of glass cut for the top of the tank to so I can set a 10" dome light set on it and not worry about warping. This is the plan though so ill but what I need this week and set it up when I get back from my trip. I'm pretty psyched

Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Well I've got my first spathe!! It is on one of my Cryptocoryne nurii plants! There is a small discussion with lots of pictures here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=391041

I will post more pictures as it continues to develop!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #33
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I was wrong!! .........I've got not one but two Crypt. nurii spathes! Two separate plants have a spathe! The one I found last night seems to be farther along then the one I found today, but I'm not 100% on that.

Here are both plants! The bottom plant is the one I found the spathe on first.

Here is more of the first plant!

Plant #2!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #34
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

The rest of my emersed plants have been doing very well too!! The last batch of crypts I received have been doing well! I did lose one plant. They weren't labeled and some looked very similar so I'm not 100% sure which plant I lost! :/ oh well... Hahaha...

C. griffithii has been doing very well! I don't know if this plant just has a quick growth rate, if it just rebounded from shipping really well, or if it didn't have to transition from submersed to emersed like some of my other crypts. Could be all three...

Here are a few of the other crypts & buce in the 55!

The four Buce varieties I've got almost all lost their leaves while transitioning from submersed to emersed growth. They were also replanted once I got the hydroton. I'm guessing most Bucephalandra do better submerged, thoughts?

The 20L is growing like crazy!!

The Bacopa caroliniana is obviously doing insanely well! It has been blooming like crazy! I did a large trim and totally replanted my no-tech vase! More on that later though!

B. colorata has seen a steady increase in growth rate! Finally had some to share with another member, also replanted some in this tank! You can also see the Rotala rotundifolia has been growing a little better too. The A. reineckii doesn't seem to like the lower light level as much as the high light it was originally under.

This thing is growing leaves from several areas of the rhizome.

Here is my vase that I just replanted today. It's a little cloudy. I accidentally dosed way too much Flourish yesterday morning, which lead to what I guess is the start of an algae bloom. This vase is a no-tech tank! It only gets natural sunlight, diffused by a closed set of white blinds. So I replanted the whole vase, adding a ton more Bacopa caroliniana, some rotala rotundifolia, some glosso. The vase already had some small java fern plants: a large crinkled leaf version, a crypt willisii x lucens & a bit of dwarf hairgrass too!

Here are a couple pictures! These don't look to awesome, I think this vase needs a week or so to grow. This will allow all the Bacopa stems to straighten up some. What do you think? I will eventually dig up the journal for this vase, from when I first started it!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #35
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I also added containers of Subwassertang and Christmas Moss! The sub is in a small Tupperware container. Xmas moss is in a wine glass/goblet, both are behind my 55!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #36
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im totally envious of your tanks. They look phenomenal
tattooedfool83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #37
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I'm going to try to start this coversation here, but if I don't get much of a response I will ask this same question in either the Crypt Club thread or Plants forum.

What steps can I take to encourage these C. nurii plants to make seeds? I've really not thought much about this process prior to today, so I've not done much research yet. I also don't mind being directed to a specific page or a link, if you know where this process has been detailed. I have already found a couple posts about the subject on Ghazanfar Ghori's blog, just haven't had much of a chance to read them thoroughly. I've got a massive Biology test today that I've been trying to focus on!

I feel like part of owning and keeping these plants is to learn as much about them as possible. It just seems like this information and process should be an important aspect of that!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #38
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

I just looked up that guy, I had never heard of him but man did that open up a world of questions and reading I must do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #39
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
I just looked up that guy, I had never heard of him but man did that open up a world of questions and reading I must do.

There are several pretty good Cryptocoryne blogs out there! Lots of info to read!

Have you checked out the crypt section over at apc?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #40
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

I have checked it out. That's actually a site I visit frequently as well

Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #41
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have checked it out. That's actually a site I visit frequently as well

I don't use apc nearly as often as I do PT. I will share some of my favorite crypt blogs on here today!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #42
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Ok awesome. I use tapatalk so it's easy to browse both forums. Only thing is it seems not a lot of people use apc regularly

Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #43
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ok awesome. I use tapatalk so it's easy to browse both forums. Only thing is it seems not a lot of people use apc regularly

I use Tapatalk for all my pics & almost all of the time on my phone. I usually prefer the web version if I'm on my iPad unless I'm posting pics. Haha... I use apc for reading, but rarely post just because it isn't as active.

Here are some of the crypt pages I've enjoyed reading or browsing through pictures.
Side note: None of these are my websites. I've tried to list the author, if it is site kept by a single person & easily found.

The Cryptocoryne section of Aquaria.net
http://crypts.aquaria.net/

The Crypt Pages by Jan D. Bastmeijer
http://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html

Cryptocoryne Blog - Ghazanfar Ghori
http://kryptokoryne.aquaticscape.com/

It's All About Aquaspaing! - has some info about collecting crypts
http://www.fhurzan.blogspot.com/

On Crypts
http://oncrypts.wordpress.com/

Crypts Addiction (I wasn't able to open this site this morning, but maybe it's just me!)
http://crypts.keydoc.net/

North American Cryptocoryne Society
http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/v...873e8855b801ca

illumabomb's Cryptocoryne Blog
http://illumbomb.blogspot.com/

Natureye
http://natureye.com/

Claus Kettner's Website
http://www.aquaristikszene.ch/Zuecht...r/kettner.html

Not crypt specific but might be sites of interest!

International Aroid Society
http://www.aroid.org/

If I think, or find, more as I continue reading more about Crypts. I will add them to this list! Maybe having easy access to a list like this will help inspire more people to keep Crypts! I know several of these pages, along with many threads here on PT were instrumental in fueling my passion for crypts.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #44
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Awesome. Thanks for those

Old 07-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #45
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I've been checking to see if either spathe has opened but it's not happened yet. I definitely want to catch it if it happens! I threw my back out last Monday so I've been pretty limited in my mobility & heavily medicated since then but super busy with school. It was nice to get a little break, which means I have spent a ton of time reading about crypts over the weekend! I would like to start watching out for some of the "rare" crypts, maybe less common would be a better term. I'm thinking about some of the C. cordata variations such as 'rosanervig', KR01, 'flamingo' as well as some of the affinis var. & perhaps some C. "Kota tinggi." Although, I really would add almost any crypt to the collection! I see no reason to limit my options! lol.

I think that I'm going to chop up some Xmas moss and spread it out on the substrate surrounding most of my crypts. I noticed how nice it looks to have moss in the pot in some other folks pictures. Haha...

Tags
bucephalandra, cryptocoryne, crypts, emersed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.