Johnson18's Emersed Tanks - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Here are a few better pics from today. I added two more pots of C. nurii.

Tapatalk doesn't wanna load pics so I will edit later & finish!

johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I'm receiving my 50L bag of hydroton today! This means that the Anubias and Bucephalandra will be getting a thin layer of hydroton on the top of their pots. I will be leaving the soil mixture under the top layer so that the plants roots will reach down into the nutrient rich mixture! I'm also going to be moving a few more Anubias species into this system from two different submerged tanks.

The last two crypts I've got on the way are shipping out tomorrow! I will have them Monday! Hopefully by then the next batch of plants will have been ordered!

While there is a little bit of melting occurring with the recently planted crypts, it doesn't seem like it is going to be as bad as I was expecting. Hopefully, I've not jinxed myself by saying that. A couple of plants even look like they're perking up!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #18
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

The Crypt. hudoroi & griffithii arrived today. They both look pretty good!

Overall the plants are looking decent. There is some melting here and there but not too bad. I added a 50w heater today, hopefully that'll help increase the humidity. Here are a couple shots from today, sadly I forgot to take them prior to resealing the top. whoops!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #19
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

See any difference between the hydroton and soil?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I just added the hydroton. It's just a single layer on top of the substrate mixture to allow the roots to reach the nutrients. I've only added it to the Bucephalandra & one pot with Anubias barteri nana petite.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Nice. You have a nice set up and an ever growing collection.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You have some beautiful plants growing in there.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Nice. You have a nice set up and an ever growing collection.

Thanks!! I think the collection has slowed in growth for now. Although I will be keeping an eye out for other plants to add as time goes on.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
You have some beautiful plants growing in there.
Thank you! I hope I can provide them with the correct environment so they will flower!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Well, the plants I was looking at last week will be on the way Saturday. The seller hooked me up with a really good deal. I'm pretty excited to add these plants to the mix.

Here is the list of what I'm getting.

C. pontenderiifolia
C. moehlmanii
C. albida
C. ciliata
C. undulata version 2, its from a big crypt guy in the US and its not very common. slender waxy green leaves with red underside. <---seller's description.
C. usteriana x walkeri

This will round out the collection for now. I'm sure as time goes on I will be adding more species, but it certainly won't be as frequent as it has been for the last few weeks.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #26
Barkington
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)

Great collection. Started a much more modest setup myself not too long ago. Look forward to watching your progress. Especially on those buces and anubias in the hydroton. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should give some a try or not.

What do you think the benefits of hydroton are over say...just a rock? I'd assume the roots would be easier to free from the hydroton than a rock but thats the only real difference as far as my unexperienced self goes.
Barkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkington View Post
Great collection. Started a much more modest setup myself not too long ago. Look forward to watching your progress. Especially on those buces and anubias in the hydroton. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should give some a try or not.

What do you think the benefits of hydroton are over say...just a rock? I'd assume the roots would be easier to free from the hydroton than a rock but thats the only real difference as far as my unexperienced self goes.
You've got a nice little collection started too. I thought about using the plastic totes like that but didn't have any that were quite the right shape for the area. I went for these two tanks mostly because that's what I had sitting around. Heck, the 55 I got for free just by posting an ad on CL asking about larger tanks(55-150 gallon) for free or cheap. I had to sort through many emails from people who thought they were offering their empty tanks for "cheap".... lol... I don't know how many offers I got for a 55 gallon tank by itself for $100-$250.

As far as hydroton goes, this is really my first time using it. It is very light and porous, it actually floats when first placed in water. I could see where this could be nice, as it might retain a little moisture. I've got no experience removing attached roots from it, I don't expect this to be a problem though. The main reason I am using it in this set up is because I was purchasing some for my aquaponics set up, keeping me from having to buy two substrates. I think you could easily achieve the same growth with plain old lava rock. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any locally that had not been dyed/colored that I didn't have to have the bed of my truck filled by front loader to purchase. Actually the Anubias in my 20L is in a substrate mixture rather then rock. It's currently putting out new leaves from three place at a rate of maybe one every few weeks.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #28
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Most of the plants seem to have adjusted to their new environment. Many are already putting out a new leaf or maybe two. The last order of crypts will be here tomorrow!

I swapped out the heater between the 20 & 55, putting the adjustable heater in the 55. It's already more humid in the 55. I will monitor the humidity level in the 20L over the next day or so to see where it ends up with the new heater.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Is the heater due to the amount of space between the light and plants?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #30
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Is the heater due to the amount of space between the light and plants?
I put the adjustable heater into the 55 so I could crank it up which will create more humidity. The non-adjustable heater wasn't keeping the temp up high enough to create the humidity I want in this tank.
I think the non adjustable heater will be fine in the 20 as there might only be 3-4 gallons of water max. From what I've read about the non adjustable Tetra heater is that in under five gallons it keeps the water too warm, mid to high 80's, for a normal tank. That should be just fine to keep the humidity up in the smaller tank.

How is your set up coming along? I see you used those same cheap green pots from lowes.

Tags
bucephalandra, cryptocoryne, crypts, emersed