Converting 90 gallon plastic to live
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Converting 90 gallon plastic to live

Hello my peeps!
I am getting ready to convert my 90 gallon freshwater community tank to a 90 gallon freshwater PLANTED community tank.
My first plant purchase arrived yesterday.
12 jungle val (vallisneria Americana) to be planted in the back right corner and behind the large piece of driftwood.
12 corkscrew val to be planted infront of the jungle val on the right side
1 crinum calimistratum my prized focal plant
1 anubias barteri nana narrow leaf
1 anubias barteri, coffee
3 Cryptocoryne, wendtii red
1 cryptocoryne, wendtii green
1 sword, red flame
1 sword, rose
1 sword, amazon compacta
1 sword, red melon
3 bunches of anacharis to be planted in the back left corner
Other plants that I would like to add are:
-Java fern to plant on a medium piece of Malaysian driftwood (I've heard java fern is pretty popular and am hoping to find a freebie)
-some kind of moss to plant on my HGE piece of Malaysian driftwood (this -piece of wood is my focal point in my tank and I am beginning to think it may be too large ) I was going to go with java moss, but I would really like something a little brighter in color (suggestions please).
-apongeton ulvaceus (I'm thinking 3 of them) I'd plant this in front of the anacharis.
-hygrophilia corymbosa? I heard that this plant is a big nitrate buster
-frogbit

I have these floating/staged in my 29 gallon QT tank while I collect my other supplies.

Because my tank is already cycled and occupied, I want to make sure that I have everything I need to empty, re-hardscape and plant all in a day.

I want to make sure I get it right the first time and I don't have to go out running for supplies while my fish are being housed in a large rubbemaid tub.
Before I can plant, I need to work the bugs out of my craigslist Fluval 45 filter. It ran great until I added filter media and a new hose to it. Now it is sucking air from somewhere and has blow by. Taking it apart and reassembling it is on my agenda for today. I think I am going to go out and buy some silicone to put around the hose fixtures. I am also going to look at some vinyl 5/8" hose to possibly replace the black corrugated hose (even though I just replaced it).

I need another 50# bag of fine red flint gravel. The tank currently has 100# in it and I think it is a little thin in the front where I plan on planting my crypts.

I need something to tie my anubia, java fern and moss to my rocks and wood, I'm thinking black zip ties?
Also, would it be too much of a hastle to remove the gravel and put something that is going to add nutrients to the tanks under the gravel?

I'd like to add a sandy patch on the left side/front of the tank. I know it will eventually mix in with the gravel, however I would love to provide a spot for my cories and zebra loaches to dig in. I see them rooting through the gravel and I just want to see them doing something that is natural for them

I have some root tabs that I plan to use with the swords.

I think I am going to try a DIY co2 system with a 2 liter bottle, some hosing and an airstone, but I need to do some more research with that.
The first pic is my tank as it is.

The second tank is my inspiration!

Alright, I'm off to the store!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90 gallon.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	405778  

Attached Images

crazy4fids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
exv152
Wannabe Guru

I have a crinum in a 125g and it is one of my favorite focal points, all of those plants will work well. Not that you need to, but if you treat yourself to anything else, treat yourself to a pressurized co2 system. The crinum will reward you with babies.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
ROYWS3
Algae Grower

Well the wood you have is certainly of the right shape as the one in the "inspiration"photo
ROYWS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

Thanks exv152, I'm gonna ask for one of those for my birthday in March. Any recommendations on a pressurized co2 system for my sized tank?
air stone
Aquatic Life 48" Edge LED
Old 12-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

Here is the other piece of wood I have my eye on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419106605680.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	405842  

air stone
Old 12-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

It's not quite as massive from back to front. The one I currently have. I have my current one all the way touching the glass in the back and I only have a couple inches in the front.

How should I place my two filter outlet returns for the best water circulation? Since the fluval has one outlet, I thought I'd put it in the back right corner and angle it towards the front center. Then put eheim spray bar vertically in the back left corner and point it along the back wall, pushing the water towards the inlet?
air stone
Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

You can use gel superglue to attach Anubias to that giant piece of wood but zip ties might work as well. I'd want to surround each Anubias with some moss too but that will look quite interesting with lots of white glue dots holding it down until the moss thickens up. I cannot imagine trying to do the usual thread wrapping with wood that thick.

I'd want to go with the narrower piece of wood too. Maybe you need to get a bigger tank for yours??? A nice 6x2.5x2' tank would display it nicely.......

Unless you wash your gravel out with chlorinated water regularly it is a great substrate for plants. The mulm in an established tank contains all sorts of microfauna that act the same way humus does for terrestrial plants. Use the root tabs and it will be just fine.

Compacta is a nice small sword plant but Rose will break your heart. It is just glorious and might look at home in a tank 3' tall and wide. Three filled my 5x2x2' tank. Enjoy Rose as a baby but expect it won't stay permanently. I don't know the other swords, hope some of them are a better size for your tank.

I see java fern, val. nana, some sort of small sword plant and Hygrophila corymbosa in your inspiration tank so you are well on your way to having your tank look like it.

I'd try your flow pattern to see what happens. Soaked fish food flake works pretty well to see what is going on. Also try out having both returns on the same side pointing straight forward and both intakes under them going for a circular flow, high fast flow across the top of the tank, hits the front and returns through the plants to the intakes.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
exv152
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4fids View Post
Thanks exv152, I'm gonna ask for one of those for my birthday in March. Any recommendations on a pressurized co2 system for my sized tank?
The dual stage mini co2 art looks interesting for a reasonable price. Or the GLA atomic regulator at also seems reasonable and fits nicely in a compact cabinet space.

For the rest, I would just get a 10 lbs co2 tank, should last you 8-10 months, and do a reactor or inline diffuser.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 03:31 AM   #9
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

So last night I finished washing another 50 pounds of fine red flint gravel that I will be adding to the already 100 pounds I have in the tank. I took out all the plastic plants and rocks. I have a couple smaller piece of wood that I am not sure I am going to use. I have affixed two anubias narrow leaf to the smaller piece of wood. I also affixed an anubias barteri to a rock. I have one more, I think it's a nana variety that I think I am going to put onto another rock.

I have resolved the problem with the Fluval 405. My husband says "I don't trust it and it's a flimsy piece of junk" so he ordered me a second Eheim! It is the Pro 3 2075. It should work well with the current eheim I have in it. I think I will be ready to do my tank planting on Saturday. I won a RAOK that should be here tomorrow.
I ended up using rubber bands to attach the anubias to my wood instead of the black zip ties. I have also been playing around with where I want to place this monster piece of wood. Really wish it were just a tad smaller. Still trying to decide whether I want to keep it or exchange it for the other one at my nslfs. Any other thoughts on this?

My daughter came home from college and my husband thought it would be a good idea to put all the fish in the large tank. It has worked out ok until now. I think we will be setting up her 29 gallon in the spare bedroom. My tank is just so busy now and I don't like it. I am probably borderline overcrowded.

Off to was a bucket of pool filter sand that I am using. Have a great evening everyone!
air stone
Old 12-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

When I add in the rest of my gravel (to go from a 1 inch bed in yhe front to a 3" bed in the front), would it be beneficial to mix in some eco complete? Especially in the areas where there will be high plant concentration? Or am I just wasting my money?
air stone
Old 12-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

Merry Christmas everyone!!
I am impatiently waiting for my RAOK package to arrive. Tracking says it is in town and "out for delivery". Hope gets here safe and sound. After that I'm off to the inlaws for some prime rib, baked potato and pie.
I am planning my major overhaul for Saturday. I will get up and empty some tank water into a large Rubbermaid tote, transfer the HOB filter and heater over to it then move my fids.
While I am remodeling their house, will I need to do anything special with my two canister filters? Will they be ok to let sit as they are for 4-6 hours or should I take the media trays out and stack them in buckets of tank water?
air stone

Last edited by crazy4fids; 12-24-2014 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #12
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

Well, today is D day! I've been sick with an URI for the past few days. I felt well enough to do some prep work for my big project today. I've decided to give my large piece of wood a go. I can always swap it out later if it truly doesn't work out in the scape I am aiming for.
Last night I washed the cobbles I will be using, tied the anubias to some of the cobbles, tied the Java fern Windelov to a small piece of wood (thanks Musician71604 for the RAOK), and finally cleaned a pruned up the plants I received last week. The jungle val doesn't look so hot. It appears to be melting I had one of my potted anubias fall apart when I started taking it out of the rock wool. It must have crown rot or something because it was brown and slimey and the leaves just fell off. All but one. That one had come off before I was done trimming it up. I strapped it to a rock (it has a bunch of nice new roots) and I am hoping it will come back. The rhizome looks to be just fine.
Gonna finish my coffee, read a few more threads and then get busy! We have @4 inches of fresh snow on the ground here (after having a warm brown Christmas). It's a good day to stay inside!! I'll post some pics later.
air stone
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #13
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

Hmm...which way should I use this?

Or this waym
air stone
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM   #14
crazy4fids
Algae Grower

air stone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.