Rhaethe's 40b -- [To be Cleverly Named Later]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
Rhaethe
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Rhaethe's 40b -- [To be Cleverly Named Later]

A craigslist find ... It is the very first tank I have had that is this size. It was a former saltwater tank, and I am still in the process of cleaning it up. Not that it was very dirty, but I am taking my time as I don't want to mess anything up. The whole shebang arrived this Sunday. Did an initial pass with cleanup, and took stock of what needs done. I neglected to take pics of the tank when it first came in, but here are some bits.

The back of the tank itself was covered in dark blue krylon, and there were some calcium deposits inside the tank. Time for Mister Razorblade. Holds water great, but I think I need to reseal it to make sure. Calcium managed to get under the silicone.

The Canopy -- Still needs a dusting / cleaning. Lots of calcium deposits on the reflectors.

The Stand -- All cleaned up and in position.

The initial plan is for this to be a medium light, low tech tank. The canopy as is, however, looks to have far more light than I want. The four bulbs are hooked up to two separate hubs, so we'll see how I can mod it.

Plants I know for certain to be going in there will be some bolbitis and giant anubias I managed to snag from chad320's tank breakdown. I also have some Christmas moss.

I definitely need some manzanita.
Rhaethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Rhaethe
Planted Member

Argh.

I want to crawl in a corner and cry.

I finally got the krylon all scraped off. We live in an apartment, so I turned my small storage area into a blue krylon powder hell.

I am NOT a do-it-yourselfer. I like to think I am ... but I'm not. I'm looking at the vertical seams, and I think "they really need to be re-donr. Just for safety and to look better. And I have read everything I can find on it ... and I still shrink at doing it. I nearly sliced my hands up several times scraping all that damn paint off.

And now that all the powder is off, I can see that the back has some "ghost images" or shadows of what I would call barnacle shapes on the inside. Not some. Lots. I tried scrubbing at them with vinegar ... and they are still there.

MEH!!!!

I am sure that the tank really has little work needing done. But argh!

Am so tempted just to buy a damn new one.

My boyfriend would be furious though ... already commandeered all his man-space in the storage area ....
Old 12-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Rhaethe
Planted Member

Allrighty. Spoke with the boyfriend as well as some fellow local fish club members. The general thought was that I should go ahead and purchase a new one for peace of mind. I am willing to part with money for peace of mind. The used tank in the garage/storage is perfectly usable. But its not a centerpiece display tank ... which is what I want.

I happened to walk into a nearby Petsmart, and they had a brand new 40 breeder + glass top on discount. Last one. I picked it up.

I'll be selling the used one I have in the storage area to a fellow club member.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
Rhaethe
Planted Member

Here is the current configuration with the canopy. The bulbs are Marine-Glo T5HO. There are four of them. I assume I'll have to change those out.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Rhaethe
Planted Member

Have decided to not use the hood. I might use it later at some point once I get it refitted for T8 bulbs. Situated where it is, it's going to get asstons of light on its own.

Got the substrate. Will be using Caribsea Super Naturals Voodoo River. Won't need much of it I don't think, as I won't really be "planting" much. The sheer majority of greenery in the tank will be ferns/bolbitis/mosses.

Really desperately need some manzy. Argh.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Any updates?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

What he said.. updates!

Sorry about the aquarium mess. My wife's friend was over about six months ago for a party and said she had a 37 gallon tank she was going to throw away and asked if I wanted it. I got wide eyed and said sure. We get to her house and the thing is sitting under an orange tree outside partially covered in crap. We dug it out, I threw out the garbage and worked on it for days before I gave up it was so bad. The seams were shot, there were salt deposits that would not come off etc etc. I finally gave up and tossed it.. two days later I was buying the 20L that I recently completed.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Rhaethe
Planted Member

Yeah ... sometimes its just best to get new instead of rehab.

Lessee ... updates are:

*sings* I have plaaaantbrain manzy on orrrrder ... gettin manzy for Chriiiiistmaaaaassssss*

Crap song and the order will arrive after Xmas, but whatever, heh. Spur of the moment. Anyway. I've put off doing the substrate rinse dance. I hate that part most of all when setting up a new tank.

chad's plants came in nice and super green ... they're chilling in the 10g I have at the moment.

The manzy I have on order should be a tallish stump and then a log. I am going to mound up the substrate in the left back corner and then place the tall stump there. Then plop the log diagonally from front left corner to right back. Then am going to plop baby stumpy manzy bits and small river pebbles all around the hill and hill base.

I made a really crappy rough draft diagram in paint.

FEAR MY PAINT SKILLZ!

And the obligatory current FTS .... even though its empty and staring at me ... balefully empty.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
Rhaethe
Planted Member

Wood came in. And the rocks. Aaaaand as always, once you start putzing with all the hardscaping, the initial vision or concept of what I had in mind starts changing.

Here's after an hour or so of fidgeting.

Of course, after filling it, it all changed up a bit due to having to move the rocks around and add some more to weigh down the wood.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
or69
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thats a really nice piece of driftwood.
or69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #11
Dave6265
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice scape, looking forward to what you do with it.
Dave6265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
Rhaethe
Planted Member

Thanks

No update today really ... Wood continues its soaking process. I did snag a black background and attached. And installed a heater.

Crypt retrospiralis is on order from Gordon .... I believe I'll be placing those all in the back 2/3rds, left back corner, and on the left up to the left front corner. Anubias giant will go somewhere on the right side middle.

I have a soccer ball sized mass of Christmas moss in the 10g tank I need to do something with. I am not sure if I will try to sell it, raok it, or incorporate it into the 40g somehow. I admit I am not an aquascaping artist, so "artfully attaching" it to pieces might be beyond me.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I like the scape a lot and the stand looks sharp and warm. Keep on going
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
keilatan
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'm loving it! I wish you would have kept the canopy... At the very least painted it and the cabinet a flat black with roll on latex paint. I think it would have increased the appeal ten fold. But it's looking great! I love the scape.

keilatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Nice so far!!! I like the rocks :X haha
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote