The Dark Tank - featuring Death and Puffy
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Betta132
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The Dark Tank - featuring Death and Puffy

Hello all!
Much to my surprise, I got a 10g for Christmas this year, to add to my 3 tanks and 1 vivarium that I already have. At first I was thinking of getting a dusky panther goby (actually a waspfish) and making it brackish water, but I decided that I'll just get a rooster waspfish at some point. Rooster wasps are full saltwater and can be kept with most fish.
My next thought was bettas and dwarf pufferfish. Now, keeping a betta with a dwarf puffy is a very bad plan, so it's going to have to be a divided tank.
Plans:
Black substrate
Black background
Black rock
Darkest driftwood I can find
Plants with fairly dark leaves
Cover divider in moss and Java fern
Dim light just bright enough to offset reflection
This should look awesome.

I've ordered some black slate online, and I'm going to pick up some wood tomorrow. I already have the critters, I was at the LFS for supplies. Don't worry, the critters aren't in an un-cycled tank, they're in breeder boxes in a cycled tank.
Working on cycling this tank right now. I'm adding stuff from other tanks to help speed that up. For example, I keep random filter cartridges stuffed in the back areas in my other tanks for just this purpose. Cycle should take less than a week, I'd say.

I found a dwarf puffer who's eating frozen bloodworms. He'd just finished eating frozen bloodworms when I got there, so he didn't eat any of the mysis he was offered, but he looked interested.
I got some ramshorns to breed for him, and I'm testing if he'll eat baby MTS. I do have a bit of a problem, though. My pond snails -the ideal puffer snails- have all spontaneously vanished. I'm gonna have to find someone who can give me a bunch of pond snails to breed on the betta side of the tank.
I also found a lovely big plakat betta, a nice black one. He's feisty. He's also quite unhappy with the fact that he's in a breeder box and there's a girl betta out there. I'm not sure if he's trying to show off or if he wants to get out there and kill her... either way, I'm not gonna bother him. He's already had some stressing out. His bag tipped over when I was acclimating him, and he got out into the tank. This led to me going OMG COME HERE YOU BUGGER and chasing him around for a few seconds to make sure he didn't notice the girly-betta and kill her. He was not pleased by me scooping him up in my hand and dumping him into the hatchery.

Pictures incoming when everyone calms down and lets me get them.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.