Dart Frogs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-02-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

I would like to start a 10gallon dart frog tank. I don't to much but was looking at blackjungle and saw the kits. I would like to buy the 10gallon dart frog kit but what else would I need if I bought that? I could get the tank cheap, and the hood and stuff. I was thinkin it would be a nice Christmas present, from mom and dad, lol can you shead some light on how to keep the frogs and plants and how to keep it warm and moist. Thanx, I am just playing with the idea
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

I was lookin on the site and saw that they have a deluxe 10gallon, kit, that would be the one i would want, what more would i need? I would buy a 10gallon kit at walmart for fish that is like 30$. I could use the tank, lights, get better bulbs, and stuff. And use the fish stuff on my other tanks. So thanx for the help.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

I would really like to have some dendrobates leucomelas, can you tell me about them? are they hard to keep? Where would I get some of these great things? How many can I keep in a 10gallon?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:21 AM   #4
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

If I can't keep dendrobates leucomelas then what about dendrobates tinctorius? It is a easy one right?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:19 AM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Dude !!! You're conversing all by yourself. :lol: Please be patient.

I know nothing about terrariums, but I'm sure someone around here does.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:18 AM   #6
Wheat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lol I know I had two of them and they like to escape even the tightest tank.Ive had lot of different frogs and I will not own anymore of these.It was a waist of $90 and not to mention the fruit flys you have to feed them.I would get a red eyed tree frog ive had mine for three years now.
Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:10 PM   #7
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

yea sorry, but that is tank is coll and was something I wanted my tank to look like. I Mom and dad won't let me get anymore tanks and when I asked my dad he said, what are you getting rid of? I can't get rid of my fish! Will have to get some when I go to collage or move out, I just love my fish too much.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:37 AM   #8
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Wheat .... What an awesome looking tank. That frog is one of the coolest things I ever saw 8)

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:21 PM   #9
Dee
Algae Grower

Wheat, is that a false bottem set up? Are you using a mist system or just spraying it down a few times a day? What are you using to keep the tank warm/cool? And what is the pretty grassy looking stuff growing on the ground?

I have gotten the skeleton together for my viva. But I'm "still" researching on the rest to make sure I get what I want the first time around hehee. Sorry for all the questions.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:05 PM   #10
Ray1214
Algae Grower

My mantellas live in a 10 gal tank with a false bottom. I have a small fountain pump and tubing to provide a steady stream of water. I have enough room to dump minute amounts of carbon into the false bottom to help purify and keep odors down. (Though this has never been an issue.). I am growing Pothis vine, a bromiliad, some other vine and a tillensdale plant. Every plant has a hole in the screen over my false bottom to the water. The only substrate is gravel for the side I keep the water bowl. (The water fall drains into the water bowl which spills over on the gravel/carbon combo into the false bottom to be pumped back through again). I keep spagnum moss on the Terristeral side with some coconut fiber bedding. (I am actually cutting back on the bedding, too messy and the plants really don't need it neither do the frogs since I use the dried, reconstituted spanum moss). Once every other month, I take everything out, clean the tank, rinse out the live mosses ( yes the dried spanum will become alive with time) with RO water. Ihave a holding tank for the frogs and live moss as well as the live plants. Rebuild the structure takes about 30 minutes. My frogs are fat and happy.

Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:25 PM   #11
Wheat
Algae Grower

No im not using a false bottom on that tank. I used to use false bottom on all tanks bu I quit to much of a pain to hide because you dont want to see it. I just built a little enclosure for a pump so the pump doesnt get blocked by the gravel. I build a little box out of lighting eggcrate. I think thats what its called. Then cover it with screen build gravel around that put in the pump cover it and put a little rock and soil on top of that and then put moss on that so I can get to the pump if it needs replaced and I dont have to tear down the tank just one little piece. the grassy stuff is moss I usually get it in the woods or somewhere outside with good lights the stuff grows well. The moss around the water is emerald moss from www.vivariumconcepts.com
Old 11-11-2003, 03:11 PM   #12
Anonymous
Planted Member

dart frog tanks are EASY to build!!!!! there is a step by step guide at www.eggfeeders.com. I am currently building a tank right now. if anyone needs help please email me at redshulu10@hotmail.com
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:32 PM   #13
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

I don't see anything on that page other than an add for NT domain hosting. I think the site is hosed.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #14
Slaigar
Planted Member

Below Water(http://www.belowwater.com) is supposed to carry dart frogs, but they currently do not have them in stock. When I saw their page, I was so hyped to get them. The colors of the frogs are just magnificent. I also asked them what the price usually is for the dart frogs and I have been told they run about $40(probably wholesale).

I would definately would like to start a tank as well if I could find a breeder around my area.

Wheat,
That is a wonderful frog, what do you feed it?
Old 11-11-2003, 11:58 PM   #15
Wheat
Algae Grower

I feed it crickets and an occasional moth from outside. He will dive across his tank for them.