green water? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a flower vase that I keep on my windowsill for misc plants & other trimmings. The water is totally green now. Is it safe to add some of that to my fish fry tank with a band of half dozen shrimp?

I'm assuming the green color is some sort of microbes that fish/shrimp/snails will feed on??

OP I have no idea what to suggest. My vase is about half/gallon & gets only sunlight. The other vases by the same window sill are NOT green.

WGoat.... How many gallons is your GREEN tank?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 AM   #17
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

The tank is a 29g. It's not as noticeable just looking at the tank anymore, but the imbalance is apparent when you siphon into a white bucket.

With twice weekly water changes, regular pruning and full-dosing Flourish Excel (I was just 1/2 dosing it), it seems I've found the formula to successfully keep it at bay until I can get my co2 running and this tank firing on all cylinders. Here's a screenshot from just tonight.

WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #18
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Would notice slight hint of green in my water during changes as well but after playing around with my photoperiod, found that 4 hrs on, 8 off, 4 on works for me. Adding floaters and stems helped as well. Have been able to even lower lights more now with no issues. Will continue to gradually lower further slowly and see what I can get away with.
Zlookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #19
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlookup View Post
Would notice slight hint of green in my water during changes as well but after playing around with my photoperiod, found that 4 hrs on, 8 off, 4 on works for me. Adding floaters and stems helped as well. Have been able to even lower lights more now with no issues. Will continue to gradually lower further slowly and see what I can get away with.
Heh. My greenwater problem started when I added a siesta in the middle of my photo period. Took that out and the water is crystal clear. I can see the individual fish poops now!
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlookup View Post
Adding floaters and stems helped as well.

forgive me, but adding "stems" as in long-stemmed plants? I understand that floating plants would help because they take nutrients from the water column; stems do the same?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: green water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
forgive me, but adding "stems" as in long-stemmed plants? I understand that floating plants would help because they take nutrients from the water column; stems do the same?
Yes, everybody got to eat.
You need more plants

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
You need more plants

that's the best news I've heard all day! that's all the excuse I need; i'll have to stop by the lfs on the way home and pick some up!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (228/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
Wow, that's crazy... cause I've never added nutrients to the water column, and this tank has been established for many years (I'm only now getting into the plant thing). My substrate is plain old gravel. And the green water started after I added the light, but before I started with the substrate tabs.

(flourish excel isn't nutrient, is it?)

thanks for the info, though - gives me something to work with!
IME, too much light period also cause green water.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

+1 on more plants. UV also will solve all green water issues.
puopg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #25
Zlookup
Algae Grower

Yes, more plants makes a big difference for sure ... especially on the enjoyment factor . Anything that is considered a fast grower should do well for you. A few swords wouldn't hurt either though I hear they start to be more of a problem in sucking up too much nutrients as they get larger.
Zlookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

If your having GW issues get a UV. There's just so much upside to it. I have never had any issues with plants and I ran one 24/7 on two different tanks for years. If your dosing micros w/iron on a regular basis there won't be an issue.

Your water will be so clear you'll have to look twice to see if THERE is water, your fish will acclimate better and have less disease when their stressed and open to infection and you'll have more wiggle room with parameters and if you accidentally stir up the bottom. Many professional installers and aquascapers use them to avoid potential problems.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

i've never looked into a UV light; always subscribed to a natural balance way of thinking - I always kinda assumed the UV would kill good bacteria along with the bad and throw it all outta whack (even though I know the vast majority of cultures are in the filter media... i guess i never though too much about it).

this weekend i'm gonna cut up my cannister's output line to include this co2 reactor - I could easily toss a UV in there while I was at it.

so there's no downside to a UV?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default One Negative about UV is price....

It's about $50-$100 for the MOST basic model. Elaborate ones will run into the $100's. Not sure about the "UV Sterilizers" they offer at the LFS & if they are effective or a waste of money.

I think I've seen the LITTLE green machine if that's what it's called @ PS.

I too like to keep it NATURAL & simple whenever possible.

Definitely think you need more plants. The ones you are currently growing in your tank are SLOW growing varieties.
  • Look for some red ludwigia so it adds a bit of color into your setup.
  • When you buy the plants make sure you inspect, QT them for at LEAST a week & if necessary TREAT them so you don't introduce any UNWANTED hitchhikers.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

it's nice to hear opinions that are similar in regards to my penchant for the natural and simple!

but i ordered a uv light anyway...
$35 got me this one on amazon $35 got me this one on amazon
, free Prime shipping! A few reviews called into question the ability to obtain replacement bulbs for that unit, but I figure even if I can't this is a good way to stick a toe into UV light and see if I wanna drop >$100 on it.

Thanks for the suggestion for red ludwigia - I'll def have to pick some up (tho I don't remember seeing that in any of the LFS I frequent, nor do I see any for sale in the swap shop here. I'll keep an eye out.) I've also zeroed in on glossostigma, but I change my tank around every month or two, so I gotta make sure I stick to plants that don't mind being moved... (i.e. I don't see my crypt lasting... lol)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #30
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

I wouldn't worry about the whole natural balanced thing. I don't really see the UV as any different than injecting c02 and in some aspects simply using a filter. These are closed systems and they need assistance in many ways. To create balance sometimes means to compromise, by putting additional stems/plants in you don't want and using less light which might limit certain plants, etc. The benefits for the fish alone is worth it.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote