green water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

green water?

I'll be the first to admit my tank is out-of-whack right now. The 3-legged stool that is ferts-co2-light is falling over.

I'm in the process of putting all the pieces together for what will be regarded as a "hi-tech" planted aquarium.

I've had my Marineland Aquatic Plant LED on there for a few weeks (my review here).

Started doing substrate tabs this past week (Aquafertz total & trace). Thinking about adding the occasional water column fertz, but gonna take it slow.

And the remaining parts needed for pressurized co2 are in shipping transit.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my water is getting green. I've stepped up water changes and started hitting the tank with some Fourish Excel, as well as keeping closer tabs on water parameters.

I'm guessing that it's an algae bloom of some sort, floating in the water making it green? It's not terribly noticable or over the top (until I drain into a white bucket), and there's nothing visible on the glass or aquarium contents (well, a little on the driftwood). Perhaps the pleco and snail are helping with the surfaces.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should be doing? My current plan is to ride it out with water changes until I get my co2 up and running - but I'm still curious as to whether I'm right about why my water is green, and if anybody else has some ideas...
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

green water is excess nutrients in the water column that has caused an algae bloom, It's farily common to see and just takes some water changes and something that will take the nutrients out of the water column, plants that float do a good job at that.

"Freedom is never free."
-Unknown
Live Free or Die
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, that's crazy... cause I've never added nutrients to the water column, and this tank has been established for many years (I'm only now getting into the plant thing). My substrate is plain old gravel. And the green water started after I added the light, but before I started with the substrate tabs.

(flourish excel isn't nutrient, is it?)

thanks for the info, though - gives me something to work with!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

If it were me, I would cut the photo period in half at least and reduce fertilization until you have the materials for the third 'leg' of the plant stool.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

Why didn't I think of that? Bumms me out a little, though - I used to run a 20w fluorescent 24/7 (lots consider that bad, I know. I've stopped). With this aquatic LED it's only on 8hr/day... and now i'm going to 4? boohooo

c'mon ups man! daddy needs his needle valve and solenoid!!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

fish waste can also contribute to the nutrients in the water colums, I think the root tabs may also leach nutrients but im not sure on that, nothing to worry about though, cutting the photo period in half really only needs to be temporary, you can slowly raise the time it's on when your problem goes away, and if it comes back then consider keeping it reduced. Correct me if i'm wrong there

"Freedom is never free."
-Unknown
Live Free or Die
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

after thinking on it, i'm not going to change my light period as things stand now. it's good advice, and I'll do it if my problem worsens - but as it is, twice weekly 25% water changes keep the tank looking good. the water's not *crystal* clear, but i'm not ashamed to have people over or anything.

it'll actually be interesting to keep all parameters the same and then hook up the co2 and see if that, by itself, stabilizes everything! in theory i should be good at that point. might be late next week, though - all my parts are shipped except fabco in florida. doesn't even look like they've processed or shipped my order, 3 days after placing it. hmmmm. they sure processed my credit card quick enough.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

My plants hit the wall at 6.5 hours of light a day, depending on what plants you have you may be better off shading the tank and leaving the lighting period at more like 8 hours a day. Bit of window screen or raise the light will reduce the intensity of your new light.

My GW was related to no nitrate with lots of CO2 and light the first epic bout and the rest of my episodes were after disturbing the tank which likely released some ammonia and my filter wasn't up to the task. I could get rid of the GW by allowing the floaters and stems to build up on the surface to dim the light but until I got much better bio filtration it always returned.

You might prune any dying leaves, vacuum the substrate to get debris off the surface and rinse out the filter media too. A long established tank has more organic matter than it really needs, take some out.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (10/100%)

send me some of that green water! lol i've got plenty of filter feeders that would love to have some

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

If you have a way to test phosphates check that. A uv is amazing in keeping that from happening in the future.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
thenameless
Algae Grower

in my case it was too much light from sunshine...just added some curtains and few water changes and everything was back to normal
Member:Eheim Pimp Club Member #497 Classic 2213
My Kribensis fry thread
Apistogramma agassizi breeding
LOST DISCIPLE a lil song for everybody who enjoys nature
thenameless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

i just got my phos test kit yesterday! took a reading this morning - it's around 2ppm. I'm gonna have to read up on exactly what that means and where I wanna be and what to do about it.

UV light in freshwater? wow... this planted tank rabbit hole gets pretty deep, eh??

thanks for the comments!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
AlyeskaGirl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
i just got my phos test kit yesterday! took a reading this morning - it's around 2ppm. I'm gonna have to read up on exactly what that means and where I wanna be and what to do about it.

UV light in freshwater? wow... this planted tank rabbit hole gets pretty deep, eh??

thanks for the comments!
Phosphates do not cause algae. That is not the problem. That is a good reading actually. PO4 is a necessary macro nutrient for plants.

You've got an imbalance like you said between light, co2 and fertz. Too much light could be the culprit. But I am not familiar with the LED fixture you have.

I had a persistent algae bloom in my tank and I couldn't figure out the cause and then I did. It was from excess nutrients; iron in my case. UV Sterilizer took care of it and never to return again after decreasing my Micro dosage.
AlyeskaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

... Jealous ... I want green water . Do you have the tank place on direct sunlight?
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #15
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

nope, no sunlight whatsoever, just the Marineland Aquatic Plant 24" @ 8hr / day... and every single one of my plants have new growth all over (moneywort, hairgrass, crypt, amazon swords, java moss, and another that I forgot/don't know the name - has long stems, medium width long leaves and has a spikey-ball looking thing in the middle of the flowers).

thanks for the info on phosphates. I also added a nitrate test kit to my arsenal yesterday (in addition to the standard ph, kh, ammonia, nitrite, and gh freshwater array). it's not necessary to be able to test copper and other traces, is it??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.