coralife
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-02-2003, 08:54 AM   #1
JF
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anyone have an opinion of this lighting system. It includes fans and can be had for under $200 @ 260 watts.

Coralife Aqualight Compact Power Strip
Read User Reviews

Product Description:
The Aqualight is the complete line of compact fluorescent lighting units for your saltwater, reef or freshwater aquariums. The Aqualight is a sleek and streamlined fixture, designed to enhance and complement your aquarium. The compact and low profile style is equipped with a modern aluminum housing and a highly-polished reflector for optimal lighting. It also includes a protective acrylic lens cover and Coralife compact fluorescent lamps.

Product Specifications:
Sleek aluminum housing with:
-Built-in ballast
-Highly polished reflector
-Acrylic lense cover
-On/off switch
Single Linear Strip Light units have Coralife 50/50 lamps (one half of the tube is 10,000K and the other half is Actinic). Dual strip light units come with half the lamps Coralife 10,000K and half the lamps Coralife Actinic lamps.

Dual Linear Strip Lights comes with two fans (except the 2X36W 24", which comes without any fans). Single Linear Strip Lights do not have fans.
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
rdn2
Algae Grower

I don't know the coralife setups very well, but I think they sell one with 6700k bulbs in it. That is the one you want for a planted tank...

Ron
rdn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

If I were you I would get one with plant bulbs in it otherwise you are going to be out another Franklin to get bulbs. Robert over at AquaBotanic sells a great JBJ Formosa that comes with plant bulbs and is a much better unit IMHO than the Coralife.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #4
JF
Algae Grower

thank you both. the Formosa cost about $100.00 more. I guess it's the German engineering.

Both units are 260 watts, if you don not plan to use CO2 immedeatly, is this not a bit much light? I am puting it over a 75 gal tank.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
rdn2
Algae Grower

If you plan on having both pairs of lights on it is definetly too much for no co2. You could use one pair of the lights (1.7 wpg) until you add co2... Just a thought.

Ron
rdn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2003, 10:22 PM   #6
crshadow
Plant Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)

JF, I bought the Coralife 260watt freshwater light kit plus mounting legs from Hellolights for my 80 gallon bowfront. I'd have to say that I'm pretty happy with it. It's a great easy way to get good lighting, without having to setup a diy/retro kit. I did however end up swapping half of the bulbs for GE9325's because I didn't like the way the 6700's it came with rendered colors in my aquarium. That was an added expense, but I'll eventually be able to use the ones I took out when the others get old. The fixture itself is pretty sleek and compact, which is nice, but it doesn't allow much room for the reflectors inside to do their job IMO. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with a diy/retrofit kit from AHSupply.

On another note, as rdn2 stated, the fixture comes with 2 switches to independently control each bank of lights, so you can easily switch off one until you get your CO2 setup. Also as rdn2 stated, be sure to buy the freshwater fixture instead of the saltwater one so that you get some usable bulbs.

In a nutshell:

Am I Happy with it?: Yes
Would I buy again?: Maybe

-Jeremiah
crshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2003, 09:36 AM   #7
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

There is one other difference to consider. JBJ wiring and ballast and everything is UL listed, Coralife is not UL listed. Having worked in the computer industry, I know UL listing is a certification for safety and reliability. Its done by a inpartial third party. Its thourough and not cheap. JBJ is not German. JBJ america builds their lights in the USA. They are headquarted in California. JBJ fixtures now have three fans instead of two.

That price is pretty low, I would double check it.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2003, 04:40 AM   #8
JF
Algae Grower

thank yo for the thoughtful replys. It comes down, as always, to money.

Do I go with four standard T8s (current set up) cost is two new bulbs.

Buy a couple of ballasts and overdrive 'em.

the above options will need a new canopy/light holder as my nine year old has some rot issues and my wife is into good looks. So no more DYI from me.

yes $200 plus S&H is the price on ebay:

Freshwater Aqualight Fixture W/Fan 48" / 260W Item number: 2347159071

Go to larger picture Price: US $199.00

Quantity: 4 available
History: Purchases
United States

Shipping and payment details

Seller information
foryourfish( 6410)
Feedback rating: 6410
Positive feedback: 99.1%
Registered Jun-25-00 in United States

Read feedback reviews
Ask seller a question
View seller's other items
Visit this seller's eBay Store!
Aquarium and Pond Store

Purchase Protection

Description

48" Freshwater Aqualight Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 4-65 watt 6700K Compact Fluorescent Lamps Straight Pin Base with Cooling Fans.
* 4- 65 watt 6700K Compact Fluorescent Lamp Included

* 2 On/Off switches and 2 power cords for separate timers

* Built-in Electronic Ballast and Cooling fans Sleek Aluminum Housing

* Highly-Polished Reflector

* Acrylic Lens Cover

Shipping & Handling: Buyer pays $24.95 for 4-6 working days shipping.

If I can find an affordable cover I may just stay with what i have. Then again I'm looking at some cool photos.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:45 AM   #9
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Oh. on EBAY! Good luck!
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2003, 02:12 PM   #10
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

$225, shipped, is an "ok" deal. The seller has over six thousand positive sales experiences, so you're pretty safe. I've bought/sold tons of stuff on Ebay and as long as you're not dealing with someone with questionable feedback, I've yet to have a bad experience.

I'd rather go with something more reliable, though. The JBJ Formosa Deluxe is just what you're looking for and is only $90 more.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:09 PM   #11
JF
Algae Grower

At $90 more that begs the question of A&H supply. the only thing they do not include is fans and I wrote them to inquire why.

I was going to go with 4 regular T8s as I'm set up for these sans reflectors. Only one company in England makes individual reflectors for T8/12 and that's a long ship to Oregon. And as of last eve I became sold on the T5PC systems. Supposedly even ODNO does not reach down beyond 12 inches. I want than nice low foreground so at least 130 watts of PC would help wiht that.

If it were not for $ I would not be belaboring this issue. So far I have a new tank, stand, and filter. To the tune of $420.00. then there is $1000 a month day care bills. two years from now it probally would not be such an issue. And DYI is out. so I appreciate all the feedback and will, as someone else on this site put it, speak wiht the finance minister.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:30 PM   #12
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I don't know where you heard ODNO does not reach down beyond 12 inches. I'm using a pair of 55w PC's and a pair of F40T12's OD 2X on my 55g (21" tall) and I'm growing glosso. And the ODNO bulbs are over the front part of the tank. The only major improvement on water penetration you'll see is with point source lighting such as metal halides. Fluorescents will mostly behave the same in that respect.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:01 PM   #13
JF
Algae Grower

So I read what I wrote somewhere on this site (i believe it may have been from a phil in Chicago). I tried to find it and consumed alot of time. Nonetheless, Due to the fact money is scarce and i have a four bulb setup alredy I might as well try it.

My intentions are to use PVC raingutters as suggested by Wasserpest and line them with acrylic mirror. research on the web indicates that it is as good as it gets. Save for the german aluminum which was not (availabe) reviewed. Regular polished aluminum is far less reflective. Additionally only one place in England makes reflectors for single bulbs. At aprox $21.00 a pop + 8,000 miles of shipping!

Has anone here used acrylic mirror?
Old 11-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #14
JF
Algae Grower

I found the post:

Phil Edwards
Algae Grower

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:34 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't 5x 32W T8's give you the same amount of light as 3x 55W PC, assuming similar quality reflectors?

Assuming similar quality reflectors a Power Compact bulb is going to be able to push light deeper into the water column than a Normal Output Fluorescent. Overdriving NOs will provide more light per bulb, but the nature of NO bulbs itself restricts the intensity and the overall "driving power" of the light it puts out.

That's not to say OD NO fluorescents aren't a viable option in a tank up to 12" deep for high light plants or up to 18" deep for moderate light plants. For all practical purposes NO Fluorescent light doesn't reach farther than 18" and the use of PC, VHO, or Halide lighting is necessary for any but the most low light plants.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.