Can someone help me figure this out?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
CrunchyLeaf

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can someone help me figure this out?

I have a 90 gallon tank that I am setting up. I will be doing it with low to medium light plants. I have chosen the Odyssea T5 HO 216w quad deluxe light fixture. I understand that is excessive for my needs, but I would like to have the option to transition into a high tech co2 setup down the road without having to upgrade the lights. I also am drawn in by the led moonlights and built in timer.
I plan to just run 2 bulbs at a time so it isn't too much wattage for my plants. Will this potentially burn up the unit?

Also, my tank has a full canopy that needs to stay on the tank to keep children and cats out. That means that the Odyssea light will not fit if I put it on the mounting legs that it comes with. Do I have to use those mounting legs? or can the light sit directly on the aquarium edges? My canopy is 5 inches off the top of the tank and 49 inches wide when measured on the inside so I think it should fit horizontally.

I have pieces of glass that I can place across the top of the tank if that is necessary to keep the light separated from the water since it won't be on the mounting legs. Would the glass compromise the efficiency of the light?

Thanks for reading over this. I really don't want to buy this if it isn't going to work for my setup. I need to keep the lighting budget in the $100 - $150 range. If anyone has any other suggestions for a unit better suited to my setup I am open to that as well.
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I don't know if you can run only two bulbs at a time. The advertising says "separate cords for each function", and usually, for 4 bulb lights, that means you can run 2 bulbs or 4 bulbs, but I don't know if that is true for this one. Ask the vendor. It should give you about the right amount of light for what you are wanting to do, if you can operate it with just 2 bulbs. Does your canopy allow you to hang the light inside the canopy?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Albino Sick Led
Algae Grower

Default Me Personally, CATALINA AQUARIUM HOODS

IMO, i think for the money and quality you get, go with CATALINA AQUARIUM

-48 inch light fixture

-3 x 54 watt bulbs ( you can customize and choose at your order time for no extra cost)

Two switch outlets with two power cords so that you can control two bulbs and a single bulb at seperate intervals

IMO, this is better than what you are planning on getting, specially for the price.

Here's the link

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/specials.php

Nothing, they just waved...
Albino Sick Led is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

There are a lot of low coast lighting options. But if I'm not mistaken that unit has a switch for ALL the T-5s on and off and then a separate switch for the LED moonlights. You would have to experiment but I think there are two separate ballasts so you could actually remove two of the bulbs that run off the same ballast and just leave those out but I'm not sure what the positioning of the remaining lights would do for your light distribution.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

Here;s a link someone posted on Youtube that shows it operating if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bum892LddzY

It looks like they are able to split the function between their 10k daylight bulbs and their actinics, and also the moonlights. It may work just the way you need it to.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote