Cheap Nano Tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
RyGonX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cheap Nano Tanks

What are some good nano tanks that are under $40 preferably around 5 gallons.

Also, what makes these nano tanks so expensive?
RyGonX is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

You double thread created...
No 5g but I have a 2g Cooke jar from Walmart and a 3g bubble bowl from an art store (you can also find them at home goods thrift stores and the like. I got mine for $10 each roughly. Bought a 4pack of 13w 6500k cfls from homedepot for about $8, used a light fixture I head but can get a clamp on work lamp and some chair for adjustable light height for about $10. Bought mini sponge filter for $3.50 each so $7 total 'jaridin' I think was the brand. And black diamond blasting "sand" from tractor supply's company 50lb for $8, lotta substrate lol can get some MGOPM to put under the sand if you want for your plants, price varies (got in winter for cheap).

Most recent photo

Last edited by AquaAurora; 08-13-2014 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: auto correct fail.. fuity=/= thrift.. fixed
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

get this when it's back in stock.

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-high...be-hcc-10.html
Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
RyGonX
Algae Grower

Hmm, so apparently I can get a normal 10 gallon starter kit for about 30 with filter&heater&lights

But when I look for nano tanks (smaller than 10gallons), they are all in the 100+ range.

Why is this so? Higher quality glass?
RyGonX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You could get a 5g kit for under $50 at your lfs. Or you can buy the tank and filter for cheaper and use a desk lamp. Just make sure the glass is not cracked bought a kit in the box once had to take it back three times and just got my money back because glass was cracked.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Prices are set by what people will pay as well as how broad the market for the item might be. In the case of nano tanks, I see it as being a very small niche in the market but those who do want nano tanks are willing to pay a very hefty price.
But then that is where you may need to get a bit more open minded if you want a nano at a low cost. Considered looking at salvage (Goodwill) type stores? Many would never want to be seen in them so they are willing to pay more. But when going to get power supplies at low cost, I saw a very nice nano that tempted even a big tank guy like me.

I'm guessing it was something like 7 gallons, acrylic in good shape with a cover and all for $15.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #7
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I saw a very nice nano that tempted even a big tank guy like me.

I'm guessing it was something like 7 gallons, acrylic in good shape with a cover and all for $15.
Now you have got him all spun out LOL

Best,

Joe
Aquadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
AutumnSun
Algae Grower

There are some acrylic bow fronts on amazon that are kits in 1, 2.5 and 5 gallons for varying prices up to about $50...
AutumnSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can always find some interesting vases and such at Goodwill. I picked up a 2.5 there for $4. Last week, I de-rimmed a new 5g ($11). I'm looking at LED lighting for it, clip-ons are about $30, and a filter is $10. That's $50 in equipment.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:08 AM   #10
thedirtydaniel
Algae Grower

I haven't owned anything bigger than a 10g. I bought a 3 crescent from petsmart for 20 bucks on sale with a light and filter. I have three jars I bought for under ten dollars a piece, a 32 oz, half gallon and two gallon. I have a standard 2.5 gallon that I bought for 15 dollars with a 5 dollar sponge and the older style fugeray, an Evolve4 I got for 40 dollars on sale and a Spec V I nabbed on sale for 65 bucks. It's doable to set a nice tank up for under 100 dollars. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that stock lighting is usually bogus. The 2.5 with sponge filter and fugeray only cost me about 60 dollars. You can find smoking deals on lights, tanks and filters on Amazon. The higher dollar stuff is really nice, but you can do a lot with very little monetary investment. Just shop around.

thedirtydaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:39 AM   #11
wildroseofky
Planted Member

Are you still looking for a nano tank? Petsmart is having a sell and I found several small tanks for under $30. I am seriously thinking of buying this one
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariu...pfm%3Dcategory. I want to set up a shrimp tank and the round design appeals to me for some reason. The light is no good for plants but I am sure I can rig something up that would work. Hope this helps.
wildroseofky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
walklong
Algae Grower

If you're still hunting, might look at: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=15493

The tank is decent, the filtration is is fine and can accept different media. The light works for low to medium light stuff. (I have Ceratopteris thalictroides crawling over the rim unless I prune it every couple days). The kit is $40 and only lacks a top.

We had my grand daughter's Betta in there and he was happy with the tank - although he has since swum upstream to the great aquarium in the sky, that had nothing to do with the tank.

I made a top out of a piece of acrylic - also tried the fugeray - either too much light or not enough plants: LOTS of algae.

Last edited by walklong; 09-01-2014 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: adding picture
walklong is online now   Reply With Quote