My Fluval View (4G)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Fluval View (4G)

OK, so I was looking at Specs the other day when I saw the Fluval View for $25. There were two left from that seller, and I bought them both. I felt darned good about it too, because the next best price was over $45! Of course, they just arrived today and I realized that I have no idea what to do with them

I'm not wild about the plant stickers on the white background. It looks like I may be able to peel those off, but I'm afraid of damaging the background. I'm also anxious to get water in one of these, but I want to address any functionality concerns first. For example, the vent for the filter intake at the bottom looks like it would be an issue if I ever wanted to add shrimp to one of these. But I might be able to glue a couple layers of screen over the back of the vent. Does anyone have experience with these tanks? I'd love to see what you've done.

Last edited by cjstl; 07-02-2014 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Gave one away and want to change this to a journal
cjstl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here they are in the boxes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

I decided to set one up for my crowntail. He is in a 4 gallonish vase right now that is overrun with algae. I need to clean it out and try to salvage some plants. Going to use what I have on hand, which is mostly jungle val, dwarf sag, DHG, and hornwort. I also saw some nice stems of hygro corymbosa stricta at Petco today, so I picked those up. I wonder if I plant them in the middle if they'll grow up and out of the hole in the lid?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:19 AM   #4
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

I decided to sell one at cost to another local TPT member. And I'm finally getting around to setting up the other.

I'm leaving the plant sticker for now. Don't think it'll look bad when I'm done. Filled with a base layer of white sand and a little crushed coral (to make my snails pretty). The cap will be a greenish gravel. I think it'll look good.

I did wind up gluing a couple folded layers of screen behind the intake to keep debris out of the filter compartment and in case I ever convert to a shrimp tank.

Last edited by cjstl; 06-24-2014 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: Dumb autocorrect
Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Flooded a little and started planting.

The hygrophila corymbosa stricta from Petco sat in that container for over two weeks and is still in good shape. I expect some melt once submerged.
I'm really hoping that it will grow up and out through the hole in the lid. It flowers when emersed and that would look beautiful. You can see in the first picture that there is a little plastic "cup" in the center of the tank. I'm hoping to use this to my advantage. I'm planting DHG in front of and amongst the hygro. I hope it will fill in that area and not spread beyond the cup. I planted some extra sagittaria subulata on the left side. Experience says it will grow almost as tall as jungle val.

I'm struggling with what to do on the right side. I have plenty of options, including jungle val, hornwort, camboba (if I can find some surviving stems), najas, or more sag. I also have ludwigia repens, but I think it would look too much like the corymbosa.

With DHG in the center, I'm not sure what to put in the front. I have a lot of choices there too. S. repens, p. helferi, micro chain sword. I'd really like to do crypt parva or marsilea minuta, but I don't have an abundance of either of those.

One choice to help fill in the midground on the sides would be crypt wendtii red, but again, I'm not sure how that would look with the corymbosa.

I'd love suggestions! Also debating whether to do any kind of hardscape. My crowntail will go in this tank, and I don't want his fins getting snagged.

Last edited by cjstl; 06-24-2014 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: Add more info
Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Fundulopanchax
Algae Grower

I know this is kind of an obvious suggestion but maybe you could add a few rocks that are of similar color to the substrate to give the aquarium some depth, build up some sand around and behind them.

Equally obvious, maybe a small piece of branch wood. I can't tell if the aquarium is open-topped but if some branch wood emerged over the top it could look good.
Fundulopanchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundulopanchax View Post
I know this is kind of an obvious suggestion but maybe you could add a few rocks that are of similar color to the substrate to give the aquarium some depth, build up some sand around and behind them.

Equally obvious, maybe a small piece of branch wood. I can't tell if the aquarium is open-topped but if some branch wood emerged over the top it could look good.
I do have a few rocks, but there is very limited planting space in this tank, so the more rocks I add, the more space I sacrifice. I do have one greenish rock growing flame moss and another that I'm trying to grow fissidens on, so I may add one or both of those.

It does have a lid, which has to be on or the light won't work (recent discovery). There is a hole in the lid for feeding and what not, and I'm kind of hoping that my hygro corymbosa will grow out of the top and flower. I'd love to have a small branch or twig in this and a couple of my other tanks, but can't find anything that isn't huge. I'll probably wind up hitting up the yard and seeing if I can find some good river birch branches to use. Of course, then I have to soak and treat them...

I finally got around to planting the rest of the tank, and I'll be posting more pics soon. One thing I didn't realize until now is that the light and filter are on the same power source. That is an unexpected problem. Guess that's what I get for making impulse buys like this!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank is planted and filled. Let me know what you think. The corymbosa isn't looking so great. Think it sat too long without high light. I added spiral vals, crypt lutea, and some small crypt wendtii on the left side. Thinking about putting a rock on the right side with either flame moss or fissidens. The marisela minuta in the front was almost completely covered once I added the gravel. I had to dig for it with the tweezers and get the leaves above the gravel. I think a lot of the DHG in the center got covered up as well. May have to go on another rescue mission.

Last edited by cjstl; 07-02-2014 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Radiation91
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
Tank is planted and filled. Let me know what you think. The corymbosa isn't looking so great. Think it sat too long without high light. I added spiral vals, crypt lutea, and some small crypt wendtii on the left side. Thinking about putting a rock on the right side with either flame moss or fissidens. The marisela minuta in the front was almost completely covered once I added the gravel. I had to dig for it with the tweezers and get the leaves above the gravel. I think a lot of the DHG in the center got covered up as well. May have to go on another rescue mission.
It's a very thin looking tank (front to back) which I love! It keeps your attention focused on the foreground. I think your choice of plants is great! Would love to see an update though! Have the plants filled the tank yet? I think it looks like a betta playground I can imagine your crown tail swimming through/around all the plants and having fun!
Radiation91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation91 View Post
It's a very thin looking tank (front to back) which I love! It keeps your attention focused on the foreground. I think your choice of plants is great! Would love to see an update though! Have the plants filled the tank yet? I think it looks like a betta playground I can imagine your crown tail swimming through/around all the plants and having fun!
No, sadly this tank has turned into a mess. I need to spend some time on it in a bad way. A lot of the plants are melting and there is a bad diatom bloom. I think part of the problem is lack of fauna. I went to the store today and got two tracked nerites and two goldfish. They were feeders for 13 cents each, but I kind of like them. Going to give it a few days and see what the snails and added CO2 can do for this mess, then re-evaluate.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:27 PM   #11
Radiation91
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
No, sadly this tank has turned into a mess. I need to spend some time on it in a bad way. A lot of the plants are melting and there is a bad diatom bloom. I think part of the problem is lack of fauna. I went to the store today and got two tracked nerites and two goldfish. They were feeders for 13 cents each, but I kind of like them. Going to give it a few days and see what the snails and added CO2 can do for this mess, then re-evaluate.

Wow you weren't kidding! That's quite an algae bloom you've got going on there I'm sure the snails will have a feast and get it all sorted perhaps a few lumps of small driftwood with some Anubis attached would be a nice addition? Pretty low maintenance and create a bit of a focal point?

The goldfish look nice not bad for 13 cents! I look forward to seeing how things go... Keep us updated with photos
Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, my 13 cent feeder goldfish both died

But the nerites are still alive. Not sure what's going on in this tank. Guess I'm going to manually clean it out and do a big water change.

My daughter drew me a nice picture of fish because she felt bad that my goldfish died
Old 08-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
Radiation91
Algae Grower

Oh... sorry to hear that are the water parameters alright?
Old 08-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #14
JellOh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

They likely died from ammonia poisoning in such a small tank. Goldfish are major waste producers and shouldn't be kept in anything under 20-50 gallons, depending on their size. Feeder fish can often grow large enough to need 100+gallon ponds as adults. You should do a water change asap or your snails could die as well. In the future I'd stick to inverts or nano fish with such a small tank.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #15
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellOh View Post
They likely died from ammonia poisoning in such a small tank. Goldfish are major waste producers and shouldn't be kept in anything under 20-50 gallons, depending on their size. Feeder fish can often grow large enough to need 100+gallon ponds as adults. You should do a water change asap or your snails could die as well. In the future I'd stick to inverts or nano fish with such a small tank.
Could have been ammonia, but doubtfully from the goldfish. They weren't in there long enough, and they were small. I think one was a comet and one was a standard, so they could have ultimately grown to more than 12", but I was only planning to leave them in that tank for a short while. Goldfish that size are kept in much smaller bowls all the time. I left to go out of town early Wednesday morning. I didn't check them then, but they seemed fine Tuesday night. My wife said she thinks they died on Wednesday and she just left them in the tank. So they were decomposing by the time I got home Friday evening.

One issue I have with this tank is that the light assembly and filter pump share the same power supply. So I have it set right now to turn off every 12 hours. Might have been an issue for those fish not having filtration overnight