Advice for setting up a nano tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
bt7896

PTrader: (0/0%)

Advice for setting up a nano tank.

Hey guys!

I have never set up a planted nano tank before and was looking for a little advice.

I was looking at this
5Gal long 5Gal long
tank off amazon. I was wondering if that would be a decent idea for that price range? Also I am looking for an affordable CO2 injection kit for a tank of that size. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
bt7896 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
sharko
Algae Grower

for a small size like that a DIY CO2 would probably be cheap and effective
sharko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
jt731
Algae Grower

I have a fluval spec v.

I've used several of the co2 injection kits and this is the one I've hated the least:

Amazon.com : Macro Aqua CO2 System Complete Kit w/ Regulator & 90g Cylinder & Diffuser : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Macro Aqua CO2 System Complete Kit w/ Regulator & 90g Cylinder & Diffuser : Pet Supplies

I have a different co2 diffuser
jt731 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #4
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt7896 View Post
Hey guys!

I have never set up a planted nano tank before and was looking for a little advice.

I was looking at this 5Gal long tank off amazon. I was wondering if that would be a decent idea for that price range? Also I am looking for an affordable CO2 injection kit for a tank of that size. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
The Fluval Spec is a nice little tank, and you wont hear a bunch of complaints about it. If you like the look, then get it...but there are other alternatives, and some of them are a bit cheaper. I have a Fluval Edge, and I like it, so I am no Fluval hater.

Nano tanks are a lot about the style of the tank. If you are head over heals for that tank "look wise"...then it is the one you should get. After that you just have to make it work for you.

Understand, that while that tank is nice, you will likely end up replacing or adding to the light. While the Fluval light is adequate for low light, you may find yourself wanting more in the long run. This is double true if you are teetering towards Co2 injection.

I guess what I am saying is shop around, read some journals and learn through other's trials and tribulations.

As far as the Co2 system...while not trying to be rude, I cannot recommend the one listed in this thread. I think the disposable Co2 cartridges are a HUGE ripoff in the long run. They work fine I'm sure, but a low end non-disposable setup will only run you over a bit over $100...and you will save money in the long run off stupid cheap Co2 refills.

I run off paintball cylinders, and those still aren't as economical in the long run as getting a proper setup, but they are miles ahead of any disposable get-up money wise.

2 cents...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.