Matt's Fluval Spec V - First Freshwater Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Clavius
Algae Grower
 
Clavius's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 82
Default

Matt's Fluval Spec V - First Freshwater Tank


Hello all!

I've been a member for a number of years but have only posted a handful of times. Ever since I joined, I've had plans to do some sort of small/nano planted tank since I got out of reefing. Keeping up with a reef tank, while challenging and a lot of fun, ended up getting too costly and time consuming. So I got out of the hobby for the foreseeable future. In the meantime I would like to try a small, simple planted tank and see if I can have any success with it. I just ordered a Fluval Spec V from Petco ($67 shipped!). I really like the dimensions of the tank and am looking forward to getting it. I'll post some pics when I do. Until then, here's a video on YouTube of my reef tank when it looked its best:

http://youtu.be/P0vYmCABryk

-Matt

Last edited by Clavius; 04-05-2013 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: Update
Clavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
seuadr
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Eaton Rapids, Mi, USA
Posts: 267
Default

i have bad reading comprehension I looked at your video and thought "WFT that isn't a spec"

i just recently picked up a spec 2, and i am seriously considering picking up a spec 5 as well. i am really digging nano tanks!
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
difrent7
Algae Grower
 
difrent7's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Posts: 122
Default

Your reef is absolutely beautiful! Subscribed to your youtube, hoping to see videos of the Spec V when you get it! I have videos of mine I try to do a Vlog weekly.

The Spec V is a great tank but might require a light upgrade depending on what you are looking to do with it.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Clavius
Algae Grower
 
Clavius's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by difrent7 View Post
Your reef is absolutely beautiful! Subscribed to your youtube, hoping to see videos of the Spec V when you get it! I have videos of mine I try to do a Vlog weekly.

The Spec V is a great tank but might require a light upgrade depending on what you are looking to do with it.
Thanks! The reef tank was taken down about 2 years ago. It was a hard thing to do but I'm glad I don't have the stress of taking care of it right now (even though it was mostly automated with a ReefKeeper, ATO and other electronics). After that I had a JBJ 3g Pico reef for a little while but eventually lost interest in that and took it down as well. So now I'm in a position where I wish I hadn't sold off all my equipment. But I guess it's not that big of a deal. I'm planning on making this planted tank very simple. I don't have the interest or the money right now to get complicated with high lighting and CO2, etc. I actually just got back from PetSmart, having a look around to see what I might need in the future to get this thing up and running. But I will probably end up ordering most of what I need from Drs. Foster & Smith.
Clavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
seuadr
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Eaton Rapids, Mi, USA
Posts: 267
Default

check out this light:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...2&postcount=51

from Mabj's thread - i think it is called a solar flare? i think that 2 of those would be slick on a spec v
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Clavius
Algae Grower
 
Clavius's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
check out this light:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...2&postcount=51

from Mabj's thread - i think it is called a solar flare? i think that 2 of those would be slick on a spec v
That is nice.

I'm gonna give the stock light a try first, though.
Clavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
Clavius
Algae Grower
 
Clavius's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 82
Default

I'm working on a list of items I'm going to need. Here's what I have so far:

Substrate - CaribSea Eco Complete or CaribSea Floramax

Heater - Hydor Theo (50W)

Water Treatment - Seachem Prime

Cleaning - Mag Float (small)

Driftwood - Unsure of where to get a couple of pieces... ??

Miscellaneous - Two 5g buckets, a short hose for siphoning

I know I'm missing/forgetting stuff! Help me out?
Clavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
melanotaenia
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 222
Default

test kits
melanotaenia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
difrent7
Algae Grower
 
difrent7's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
I'm working on a list of items I'm going to need. Here's what I have so far:

Substrate - CaribSea Eco Complete or CaribSea Floramax

Heater - Hydor Theo (50W)

Water Treatment - Seachem Prime

Cleaning - Mag Float (small)

Driftwood - Unsure of where to get a couple of pieces... ??

Miscellaneous - Two 5g buckets, a short hose for siphoning

I know I'm missing/forgetting stuff! Help me out?
Sounds like you got everything you need! I agree with the post above a test kit should be added to the list. I wish i had gone with a 50W instead of a 25W heater mine has a hard time holding temperature stable. Can't wait to see progress pictures!
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
Clavius
Algae Grower
 
Clavius's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 82
Default

My Spec V has shipped! Should be here Tuesday according to UPS tracking.
Clavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
PinkRasbora
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PinkRasbora's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newport, MI
Posts: 509
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Default

Grats on your new tank!!! Are you super excited yet?
__________________
~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
PinkRasbora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
iRun
Algae Grower
 
iRun's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 123
Default

Where are you putting your heater? I have the 50 Watt Hydor Theo in the small compartment where the powerhead is and it is at 83 F while the tank is at 75 F. Afraid I might need to put it in the tank.
iRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
madness
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,698
Default

For such a small tank it might be worth the money, IMO, to just spring for a small bag of one of the enriched substrates.

ADA Aquasoil or Up Aqua Aqua Soil or Shrimp Soil.

If you are already going to spend $25 on Eco-Complete I would recommend just spending a bit more and getting a nutrient rich substrate.

Take it from someone who bought Eco-Complete when starting out and then quickly realized that I should have either saved my money or spent a bit more and gotten the 'good stuff.'
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
Clavius
Algae Grower
 
Clavius's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora View Post
Grats on your new tank!!! Are you super excited yet?
Very excited!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun View Post
Where are you putting your heater? I have the 50 Watt Hydor Theo in the small compartment where the powerhead is and it is at 83 F while the tank is at 75 F. Afraid I might need to put it in the tank.
Planning on putting it where the pump is. But as I have never physically examined one of these tanks, that is still up in the air. Once I get the tank in my hands I'll have a better idea for sure about where the heater will end up going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
For such a small tank it might be worth the money, IMO, to just spring for a small bag of one of the enriched substrates.

ADA Aquasoil or Up Aqua Aqua Soil or Shrimp Soil.

If you are already going to spend $25 on Eco-Complete I would recommend just spending a bit more and getting a nutrient rich substrate.

Take it from someone who bought Eco-Complete when starting out and then quickly realized that I should have either saved my money or spent a bit more and gotten the 'good stuff.'
Where do you find these enriched substrates? Thanks.
Clavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mumford's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 478
Default Matt's Fluval Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
Very excited!

Planning on putting it where the pump is. But as I have never physically examined one of these tanks, that is still up in the air. Once I get the tank in my hands I'll have a better idea for sure about where the heater will end up going.

Where do you find these enriched substrates? Thanks.
Online I'd assume


- Mumford
__________________
Fluval Spec V - Growout Tank

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012