aquatic plants in Colorado.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

aquatic plants in Colorado.

Now that your interest in aquatic plants is sparked, you might be wondering where some good places to find a few of these plants are. There are actually quite a few places just around Ft. Collins that offer excellent opportunities to observe or collect aquatic plants. The Spring Creek Trail running through Ft. Collins has a wonderful selection of aquatic and wetland plants along it. For example, behind the Holiday Inn off Prospect, one can find anything from Duckweed and Watercress to Callitriche or Water-starwort. Also, the trail just off of College across from Bank One offers a selection of Potamogeton and Zannichellia. Another good spot by Ft. Collins is a small ephemeral pond on the way up to Horsetooth Mountain Park. In it you might discover a couple of Potamogetons, some Elodea, or anything else that the local wildlife has transported in. If looking at water lilies is more along your line of interest, the Denver Botanic Garden has a large selection of these plants including the giant amazon water lilies. In addition, Red Rocks Lake in the Brainard Lake Recreation Area by the town of Ward has an impressive display of native water lilies. A hike in Rocky Mountain National Park to Ouzel Lake in the wild basin area offers a chance to see a small pond covered in water lilies and surrounded by Buckbean. A word of warning in this area, however, once you start looking for aquatic plants, you won't be able to stop!

http://herbarium.biology.colostate.edu/aquatic.htm
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Calebh21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hey Bruce!
Thank you so much for posting this! We will be checking these areas out as soon as spring time hits!
Calebh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

That's great. We are going to need pictures!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
DenverTankCollector
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Collecting plants

I think Bruce should supply the picinic lunch for us all, make a day out of it. To give Bruce a goal, lets set July 13th, we will all meet at his house and head for the rivers. Good idea, Bruce!
Tanks: 2@100, 2@75 12@55, 5@40, 2@30, 30@29, 45@20, 10@10, auto water change system, all planted, endangered and extinct in the wild fish, many C.A.R.E.S list, lots and lots of angels and anything challenging. Currently have many Killifish (Blue Gularis & 6 other types) and growing Desert gobys. My hobby is changing water.... +koi pond, planted outdoor tanks in garden.
DenverTankCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I was just up at the reservoir over the weekend driftwood hunting, I wish I would've seen this post before hand and I would've made a few extra stops!

Is there a planted aquarium "club" in the Fort Collins area by chance?

Thanks for the write up!

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

Don't know of any plant clubs in colorado.

Anyone know where I can find this book? I think this woman might be on the faculty at CSU?
Denise Culver has been a botanist/ecologist for more than 20 years and is an ecologist for the Colorado Natural Heritage Program. She has recently published the Field Guide to Colorado's Wetland Plants: Identification and Ecology. She was also the president of the Northern Chapter of CoNPS.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Aquatic Plants in Colorado

Hello Bruce...

A great idea, in theory. I tried it a couple of years ago with some aquatic river plants I found and they grew very well for about a month. Found out the plants were used to much colder water temperatures and constant aeration. The temperature in my tanks is 76 degrees compared to 50 to 60 degrees in the Colorado waters at the height of summer.

Anyway, the plants didn't last because I couldn't duplicate their original conditions.

Again, a good idea, but it didn't work for me.

B
Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

If you were to keep small mouth bass or trout this is very helpful information. I have seen numerous Mountain river/stream biotope aquariums, most have no plants sadly.

I know that while out camping, fishing, hiking in the Rockies there have been many species of emmersed and submerged plants and mosses around. I just have no idea what any of the specific names are though.
Emersed Tub Club meber #15
beginragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote