Need single T8 Bulb Suggestion
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
bradlgt21
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Need single T8 Bulb Suggestion

I am setting up a couple low tech tanks. One is a 55 gallon 48x12x21 and it will be a lake tanganika tank. Only plants will be anubius and Java fern as I want this to be a biotype. The other tank is a planted community 50 gallon 36x18x18. That one I hope to grow swords, crypts, java fern, rotala, and other low light stuff and will have safetsorb substrate.

After looking at the stickies in this section I have decided to go with a 36" Aqueon deluxe fixture for both of them. The deluxe means it comes with a polished reflector and can fit a full 36" bulb.

The 55 gallon will not cover the whole length I understand but lake tang fish being shy I like the idea of some darker areas near the sides. I plan on putting a 50/50 bulb in there, I was thinking the zoomed reef sun, it is a 6500k/actinic bulb. Is that smart for a african cichlid tank?

The 50 gallon I still can't decide. I want this one to grow the plants well and still make the tank look good. My choices of what I found so far are Zoomeds tropic sun 5500k, ultra sun 6500k, and ocean sun 10,000k. Can you guys help me decide on a bulb for this tank?
bradlgt21 is offline   Reply With Quote