Buffalohead Cichlid (Steatocranus casuarius) Breeding Thread
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Buffalohead Cichlid (Steatocranus casuarius) Breeding Thread

SO. As you all see from the journal title.... I got my buffheads (lovely nickname, I know...) to spawn!! Actually, they did it themselves. All I did was change the water.

This is sorta a teaser. Don't have any picks as the tank's a bloody jungle and they're skittish little beasts and they've spawned at the back of the tank (I know, right; darned cichlids).

But anyway. The mom died yesterday (unknown cause; probably a stroke from the stress of keeping everyone else away), and today dad decided to bring the family out for the first time (after convincing the discus and angels to keep well away). Fed them baby brine and was pleased to see that they're already little pigs, just like their parents. All I can do is hope daddy won't eat them or do anything weird (cichlids will be cichlids, regardless of what their typical nature is).

SO. I hope to be returning tomorrow or the next day with some pics of the family!

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings

Last edited by LB79; 03-28-2013 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: .
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

That's a great fish! I hope to get some Steatocranus again some day.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
LB79
Wannabe Guru

So. Here are some pics. Dad is extremely wary of the camera, so I didn't get any of him. They're sorta so-so quality as the cave is at the back of the tank and there's an insane amount of plants in there.

And then a bad-quality photo of my skittish, stunted male discus.

Last edited by LB79; 03-28-2013 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: .
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

That is really great.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
Bruce_S
Planted Member

Had a pair of buffleheads (also the name of a beautiful chubby little duck!) years ago, and loved them. Not a lot of color, but overflowing personalities!

Cool to see these little ones!

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

It would be really cool to do a river manifold tank with big rounded boulders as a biotope setup for this fish.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
It would be really cool to do a river manifold tank with big rounded boulders as a biotope setup for this fish.
Yes, it would indeed. 12x12x48 could be the dimensions, have it packed with boulders and fine white sand, a few powerheads and airstones to create the rapids, a high-powered light and ferts to help the algae grow (buffaloheads LOVE algae), and two pairs of the fish themselves..... priceless.

Well, dad kicked bucket. Courtesy of a wild-caught male Crenicichla compressiceps I threw in there a day ago, the babies are, for the most part, gone.

BUT! The other two buffaloheads have paired off and are digging a tunnel under a piece of wood. So, we should have kids again in about two weeks. I'll be updating now and then, just to keep the thread bumped.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
LB79
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_S View Post
Had a pair of buffleheads (also the name of a beautiful chubby little duck!) years ago, and loved them. Not a lot of color, but overflowing personalities!

Cool to see these little ones!

~Bruce
They certainly do have differing personalities. The old pair was real chill about who could come in the territory and where exactly the boundaries were. The new pair, however, seem to be the most vile-tempered fish in the tank (with the exception of the devilish little dwarf pike). They're still scared to heck of the camera, though.