PLANTING plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
kade james
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

PLANTING plants

whats the best way to put your plants in sub/dirt? i pretty much just clumsely stick them in by hand.. cant find those long metal plant tong things anywhere.. how much are those?
kade james is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I personally use tweezers (you can get them cheaply online, or from a surplus store).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

They don't have to be long ones. I suspect even eyebrow tweezers would be better than fingers. Have read that some use chopsticks, have to try that sometime.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
5BodyBlade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I use these sharp point eyebrow tweezers. You can get them at practically any store that has a health and beauty section. I think mine were less than $10. Stainless steel. The end is small enough to plant individual stems of HC if you wanted to and they are sharp enough that if you press hard you can trim smaller stems.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
5BodyBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Amazon has tweezers for aquariums that are stainless steel for about $6-7. I use them and they're great! Prior to that, I used my fingers (and occasionally still do for certain plants)
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I use the zoo med tweezers they sell at petco for smaller plants. For larger rooted plants I used my hands.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is the same problem I'm struggling with. I was using fingers at first. I bought Fluval stainless steel planting tongs from Amazon. I find them only slightly better than fingers. Still not ideal. I use them to push a stem down into the substrate, but as soon as I release and try to pull the tweezers back out, the plant floats up.... It's driving me bananas!
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
This is the same problem I'm struggling with. I was using fingers at first. I bought Fluval stainless steel planting tongs from Amazon. I find them only slightly better than fingers. Still not ideal. I use them to push a stem down into the substrate, but as soon as I release and try to pull the tweezers back out, the plant floats up.... It's driving me bananas!
Me too! That or the plant just snaps in half where the tweezers were holding it at. That's when I end up using my fingers again.. I think the tweezers would work better if I had sand rather than Eco complete.
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I still get it wrong and snap stems sometimes. Pick up the plant with the legs of the tweezers protecting the stem rather than with the stem sticking out at an angle, insert the tweezers deep into the substrate, release the tweezers, wiggle a little to settle the substrate around the stem and pull them out at an angle rather than up.

It takes practice, I am getting better every time I replant. I had one floater this week after planting half a dozen stems, dozens of tiny Marsilea, a couple small root free Blyxa and some small Staurogyne repens plants and stems. Myrio especially kept getting shorter and shorter before and I was constantly replanting long pennywort stems with a combination of the stems breaking and not getting them anchored well enough. Blyxa and repens have quite a learning curve to handling. One fears they will shrink so much with all the breaking when replanting they will vanish before one figures out how to handle them!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

They sell long plant tongs or even cheaper, ZooMed makes reptile feeding tongs that work every bit as well. I like them over the tweezers because I have large hands and disrupt the landscape in tight spaces if your trying to squeeze plants in.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
mullenium
Algae Grower

i use my fingers and have no problem.. i kinda dig out a little crater, put the end of the plants with roots under my 2 fingers (index and middle) while holding it with my thumb.. then put the whole thing down into the substrate with my 2 fingers in an arc motion, starting sideways sort of i push it in the substrate and turn or raise it til its sticking up straight (dont push straight down into substrate using finger method, always start at an angle)

after that i smooth out the substrate so the crater is filled up again
mullenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've found planting at a slight angle helps with thin stems, then open and close the planting tweezers a little bit before and as you pull them out to loosen the substrate and encourage it to fall in around the stem.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I just used regular old tweezers for ever. Then I bought some beauty ones which are much better. Now I have some crazy medical ones. They actually kind of "dig in" to the stem of the plant but if you don't use a lot of pressure, it releases easily. I got them at the hospital, after slicing my finger lol, not sure where else you could find them.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
mcfly84
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenium View Post
i use my fingers and have no problem.. i kinda dig out a little crater, put the end of the plants with roots under my 2 fingers (index and middle) while holding it with my thumb.. then put the whole thing down into the substrate with my 2 fingers in an arc motion, starting sideways sort of i push it in the substrate and turn or raise it til its sticking up straight (dont push straight down into substrate using finger method, always start at an angle)

after that i smooth out the substrate so the crater is filled up again
I do the exact same and haven't broken any stems or damaged anything, but then again I have a fine gravel substrate. Not sure how this would do with a dirt/mud substrate my guess is make a cloudy mess for a while.
mcfly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Local pet stores have long Zoomed tweezers to feed insects, could use those I suppose
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote