Nearly 5 watts per gallon? Is that bad?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
julesann
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nearly 5 watts per gallon? Is that bad?

I have a 27 gallon tank and have a new 30 coralife double strip 65 wattx2 (4.81 wpg) I was planning to run for 10 hours a day using an Eheim Prof. 2222 canister and soon to be adding a 2.5 gal. aluminium CO2 can using Milwaukee regulator, glass diffuser. That's nearly 5 wpg. Is 10 hours too long? Will I be growing an algae farm? I have algae waters who don't seem interested in eating algae, so I'm concerned.

TANK: 27 gal. Flourite + Florabase, Eheim 2222, 9W turbo twist UV, CO2 via Milwaukee regulator, glass diffuser, Coralife 55x2 (4 wpg), LED lunar moonlight.
FAUNA: 2 Panda Cory, 3 Dwarf Otto, 2 Yoyo loaches, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Dwarf Gourami.
FLORA: Anubias Nana, Hygro Tropic Sunset, Crypt Wendtii Gr/Br, Water Hyssop, Dwarf Crypt, Rotala Rotundifolia, Hygro Corymbosa, Taiwan moss, Stargrass, Riccia, Cuba, Pearl Grass, Weeping Moss, Microsword.
julesann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
TheOtherGeoff
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff

i would try it and see how it goes. you are running co2 so you should be ok. if you are worried about two much light them just leave off one of the lights.

75 Gallon Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for The Trout Tank
TheOtherGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
JonMulzer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JonMulzer Send a message via MSN to JonMulzer Send a message via Yahoo to JonMulzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesann
I have a 27 gallon tank and have a new 30 coralife double strip 65 wattx2 (4.81 wpg) I was planning to run for 10 hours a day using an Eheim Prof. 2222 canister and soon to be adding a 2.5 gal. aluminium CO2 can using Milwaukee regulator, glass diffuser. That's nearly 5 wpg. Is 10 hours too long? Will I be growing an algae farm? I have algae waters who don't seem interested in eating algae, so I'm concerned.

How about running it with a midday peak? Four hours of 65, two hours of 130, 4 hours of 65.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
jasonh
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jasonh

My guess is you'll go through a lot of CO2, a lot of ferts, and be trimming quite often...
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I currently have 110 watts over 29 gallon, running for about 11 hours a day, and it isn't an algae farm, but it does grow algae as well as plants - surprise!! I think you could handle this ok, and you will get a thrill out of how fast and well the plants grow.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Pete City
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMulzer
How about running it with a midday peak? Four hours of 65, two hours of 130, 4 hours of 65.
I do a variation of this on my 40, 2hrs@96, 4hrs@192, 2hrs@96, but try starting out with Jon's method. I'm also running 4.8wpg.
I would suggest that you run just the single 65 until you get your CO2 setup. I think this will help avoid some algae problems.

Pete
Pete City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
julesann
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Got it. Down to one bulb until the Co2 is up and then maybe staggered. Thanks guys!

TANK: 27 gal. Flourite + Florabase, Eheim 2222, 9W turbo twist UV, CO2 via Milwaukee regulator, glass diffuser, Coralife 55x2 (4 wpg), LED lunar moonlight.
FAUNA: 2 Panda Cory, 3 Dwarf Otto, 2 Yoyo loaches, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Dwarf Gourami.
FLORA: Anubias Nana, Hygro Tropic Sunset, Crypt Wendtii Gr/Br, Water Hyssop, Dwarf Crypt, Rotala Rotundifolia, Hygro Corymbosa, Taiwan moss, Stargrass, Riccia, Cuba, Pearl Grass, Weeping Moss, Microsword.
julesann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Solace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

130w over 29gal here.. I do have some algae but im hoping that I can grow enough shrimp to handle it

The algae is not unsightly and is not a huge issue for me.

Will work for good water and co2.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote