Walstad shrimp cylinder
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
javajive1981
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Walstad shrimp cylinder

I thought i would show my first walstad shrimp bowl. Very excited as i've been planning it for months.

Its a 25cm x 40cm cylinder vase. I've used a 1inch layer of organic all purpose soil and a mix of 3mm and 5mm pea gravel. I also put in some balls of red clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364326543302.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	113714  

Last edited by javajive1981; 03-27-2013 at 02:01 AM..
javajive1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Brich999
Algae Grower

That should be really cool soon, vie thought of doing something similar since acrylic cylinder prices are reasonable until over maybe 6"dia. I'll definitely be excited to see this all planted
Brich999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
javajive1981
Algae Grower

Default Re: Walstad shrimp cylinder

Then i added my drift wood and plants

Eleocharis parvula
A cutting of anubias wrinkle leaf
Ludwigia mini super red
Hygrophilia bold
Phyllanthus flutains
Awaiting java moss for the drift wood.

I'll be adding some shrimp as soon as i get the moss in

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364326805743.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	113722Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364326817193.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	113730Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364326834614.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	113738

Last edited by javajive1981; 04-22-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice start! I like how tall it is.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
DoubleT
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

I love it! What kind of shrimp do you plan on putting in it?
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
javajive1981
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleT View Post
I love it! What kind of shrimp do you plan on putting in it?
i would love crystal shrimp but we have very hard water round here and i have read they are not the best beginner shrimp. My lfs do cherry shrimp and a hybrid that is clear with red patches. I might get two of each. Hopefully the moss will arrive soon because i'm very impatient
Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
javajive1981
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice start! I like how tall it is.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
javajive1981
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich999 View Post
That should be really cool soon, vie thought of doing something similar since acrylic cylinder prices are reasonable until over maybe 6"dia. I'll definitely be excited to see this all planted
This is glass I'm a bit worried it might be a bit thin so i filled it up outside first. Its in the spare room upstairs to avoid my baby lobbing things at it
Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
javajive1981
Algae Grower

The moss and shrimp are in now. I was a little disappointed with the quality of the java moss but hopefully it will improve once it adjusts

These are my two hybrid shrimp, there are three cherries but they a a bit small at three moment

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364561855020.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	115242  

Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

These Walstad tanks don't need to cycle? I think there is and will be a lot of emphasis on how to start a tank and also a shrimp tank. Mostly on the nitrogen cycle which seems to be constantly underestimated.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
These Walstad tanks don't need to cycle? I think there is and will be a lot of emphasis on how to start a tank and also a shrimp tank. Mostly on the nitrogen cycle which seems to be constantly underestimated.
Cycling is tied to bioload--you have to cycle a tank to build up the population of beneficial bacteria so they're able to handle the bioload of your stock.

Ideally the substrate is seeded from an established tank, but the bacteria grow on everything in a tank so even just the small population that comes in with the live plants are sufficient to handle the bioload of a few small snails or a few juvie shrimp.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
javajive1981
Algae Grower

Quote:
The gravel is from a cycled fishtank and i have been doing small daily water changes just while everything settles down and the plants take off. I did a lot of research before setting this up. Also the cylinder has quite a large volume and lots of plants. I have a drop tester kit so i will be checking my parameters to
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

The nitrogen cycle is not a reaction. If you view it as an equilibrium you'll be okay. I see many people getting tanks started as quickly as possible, without waiting for all the good micro fauna to settle. Shrimp will die in case you have a spike, and most of the times you will. It's not a case of "it will never happen to me"

I view a cycled tank (at least 1 month old) as a safety net. "What if one of the shrimp dies? It's ok, I have a huge load of bacteria to take the hit."

This is my angle. Also, this aquarium is way far from a description of "lots of plants"

Saying you took the gravel from an established tank without any knowledge of how much ammonia those bacteria in the gravel are able to process and how much ammonia is generated in your tank further strengthens the fact that you take for granted something that's particular to each tank. It's not a fixed formula you can use, the only guarantee is provided by waiting for the nitrogen cycle to fully establish which you did not.

Anyway, the harm is already done, keep those daily water changes going and monitor the main killers that signal the new tank syndrome: ammonia and nitrite.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
javajive1981
Algae Grower

I
Quote:
The nitrogen cycle is not a reaction. If you view it as an equilibrium you'll be okay. I see many people getting tanks started as quickly as possible, without waiting for all the good micro fauna to settle. Shrimp will die in case you have a spike, and most of the times you will. It's not a case of "it will never happen to me"

I view a cycled tank (at least 1 month old) as a safety net. "What if one of the shrimp dies? It's ok, I have a huge load of bacteria to take the hit."

This is my angle. Also, this aquarium is way far from a description of "lots of plants"

Saying you took the gravel from an established tank without any knowledge of how much ammonia those bacteria in the gravel are able to process and how much ammonia is generated in your tank further strengthens the fact that you take for granted something that's particular to each tank. It's not a fixed formula you can use, the only guarantee is provided by waiting for the nitrogen cycle to fully establish which you did not.

Anyway, the harm is already done, keep those daily water changes going and monitor the main killers that signal the new tank syndrome: ammonia and nitrite.
Thanks for the friendly advice. I have an API drop tester kit and am monitoring my parameters daily and changing the water. I have picked up some nitrite but no ammonia which is why i have been doing little water changes every day.

I could add some rotala indica out of my goldfish tank to bump the plant load up if you think it will help?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
javajive1981
Algae Grower

I had read a pdf by Walstad on how to set up a bowl. I think i found the link on this forum

It says nothing about cycling there. Maybe my plant load is a bit light.
I thought it cycles very fast because of the soil?