newbie needs help, 10G issues
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
eightb8ll
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

newbie needs help, 10G issues

edit: 4/3/13 update 7 posts down

Hey guys,

Brand new user on this forum. Brand new to the hobby as well. I basically have no idea what I'm doing, gathering all info from youtube videos and forum posts. I had no aquascaping plan on setup, and basically just planted plants that looked interesting with hopes of not killing them. Tank has been running for 2 months now.

My issues:

1. brown growth/dust on Java and Anubias (plants dying? bad algae?)
2. Java over propagating?
3. Roots of baby Java seem to have brown harry growth ...normal baby roots or bad algae?
3. lots and lots of roots growing from stems of Rosefolia (normal?, trimmable?)
4. Anubias pushing itself out of the substrate due to root growth (how to prevent?)

Please take a look at the pictures and give me any feedback on what the problem may be and possible solutions.

Set up:

10 Gallon Tank
Marineland 18-24 inch Aquatic Plant LED with timer
Eco-Complete substrate
DIY CO2 with Mini Elite Filter diffuser
Aqueon 10-Gallon QuietFlow Internal Filter for slight water movement
Aqueon Power Filter 10 with 100 mg Purigen bag (on only during the night)
Excel Flourish 1 ml x 2 per week

Fish:
Cory Catfish x 3
Betta

Plants:

Brazilian Swords
Rosefolia
Anubias Barteri
Banana Plant
Stargrass
Baby Dwarf Tears

Last edited by eightb8ll; 04-03-2013 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: update
eightb8ll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
thinBear
Planted Member

Anubias need low light. I had similar problem before. After I relocate them to shaded area, the brown stuff's gone.
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
Default newbie needs help, 10G issues

First of all, you need to know that anubias rhizome and java fern roots are not supposed to put under the substrate, their roots will get rotten. The best way to plant them is to tie them on a rock/stone or driftwood.

My java fern's root is brown but it grow crazy so I think it is normal.

I see the root growing from the stems of rosefolia. It is because your tank is lack of nutrition/fertilize. The stem plants are growing more roots to find more ferts. You can use root tabs or dose ferts
junglefowl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
thinBear
Planted Member

It's a good idea to do some plant research before getting them. This site has a plant Profiles for you to look-up. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/

Thanks to smart phone, you can always do a quick research even if you are already in the shop. You can ask the owner for help/ suggestion too.
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
eightb8ll
Algae Grower

From the suggestions and also info from the link, I will move the Anubias under the swords for lower light and attach them to a piece of drift wood. I did keep the rhizome above the gravel, but I did not know that planting in substrate was not ideal.

As for the Rosefolia, I have been dosing with Excel Flourish for added nutrients, but I will definitely put some root tabs in to help. Any suggestion on root tabs? Amazon.com seems to have a lot to choose from.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
Default newbie needs help, 10G issues

How about flourish tabs? That is what I use in my tank!!!
Flourish excel is a source of CO2.
junglefowl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

how many hours of light? how close to the tank?
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
eightb8ll
Algae Grower

Update 4/3/13

Ok, keeping all suggestions above in mind, I have rearranged the plants in the tank. I bought a piece of driftwood and attached all three anubias to it with fishing line. I had to attach that ugly rock I found in the yard to it because the driftwood is in float mode. I also tried my best to position the swords to shade the anubias. It really didn't work, so I just put a small piece of cardboard above the anubias on the glass so that direct light will not hit them. They are still lit by plenty of ambient light, just not direct light.

As for the Rosefolia, I trimmed the top 5 or 6 inches of each stem and replanted them. I added ADA Multi Bottom root tabs to the Eco-Complete, but after a few days, roots still seem to be growing out of the stems. Should I just trim them as they grow?

As for the java fern, I put a few pieces of the baby fern on the driftwood. I cleaned up the main plant and removed all of the baby ferns from the leaves and rubbed off the brown algae. This time around, I just let the java fern sit on top of the gravel instead of planting it in the gravel. The driftwood is holding it in place for now, as I am hoping that some of the roots will grab some of the gravel over time.

The stargrass and dwarf tears are growing like crazy. I think its because of the ADA Multi Bottoms root tabs.

Some sort of white ghostly algae is growing on the diftwood, but I think the Corys are eating it. Hopefully it is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglefowl View Post
How about flourish tabs? That is what I use in my tank!!!
Flourish excel is a source of CO2.
My mistake, I meant to say that I was using Seachem Flourish, not Excel. I have a DIY for CO2 hooked up. I could not find Flourish tabs, but a local store had ADA Multi Bottoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
how many hours of light? how close to the tank?
I changed the timer of the light to have 2 hours of moonlight, 7 hours of regular light, followed by 1 more hour of moonlight. I reduced the amount of regular light by 3 hours. The light is sitting maybe an inch or two above the top of the tank.

Here is the tank after the changes:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.