:::Mystified:::
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-27-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
thumperinflorida
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

:::Mystified:::

I hate to admit that I"m so confused with lighting. I'm setting up my first tank in about 6 years. It's a 30 gallon show tank. I understand the concept of watts (I think) I know the simple math of watts divided by gallon. It just doesn't really compute for me. I need to buy lights...and I'm not looking to spend a fortune. As far as building a hood....forget it. I don't do power tools...I just sell them.

Any help would be appreciated. I know there's a guru out there that I can ask a few questions of.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Watts per gallon is used to define levels of lighting largely because all light bulbs have their wattage printed on them somewhere, or at least on the packaging. Lumens are only occasionally printed on the packaging. And, no other measure of the brightness of the bulb is easily available to us. Since lighting available to the plants is not something that can be precisely measured in any case we just use the easy to determine watts per gallon, knowing it is only an approximation. In today's usage, when someone specifies that a planted aquarium needs, say, 2 watts per gallon, they mean 2 watts per gallon of bulbs comparable to compact fluorescent tubes, that are thin, and used with good reflectors, so that more than half of the light from the bulb is directed into the tank. So, for your 30 gallon tank, for plants needing a moderate light intensity you would want about 2 watts per gallon - say a single 65 watt fluorescent T5 tube, either straight or bent into a two parallel tube configuration. To be able to grow just about any plant, you would want up to double that. I think that is about as accurate as the watts per gallon rule gets. And, finding the fixture or hood that uses that size bulb or bulbs, and has a good reflector is the next problem.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
thumperinflorida
Algae Grower

Okay, that makes sense to me (sort of...so do you have any suggestions on the fixture.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
thumperinflorida
Algae Grower

btw:...I don't think I would want a fixture hanging from my ceiling. I've looked at those and it would probably drive me crazy.

So compact isn't the way to go?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
thumperinflorida
Algae Grower

So would this fixture be okay? I'm really ready to hit the "buy" button. I sort of put the "horse before the cart" so to speak and have planted a few anubias, crypts and lilaeopsis novae.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...188x003&ctt=60
Old 03-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
riverrat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

I have a coralife single 96watt fixture on a 30gal. I am pleased with mine. If you want to do ferts and co2 then ya....go for it. This equals 3.2 watts/gallon. If this is your first planted tank you will battle algae. You will probably do this no matter the watts per gallon but the higher you go the less room for error there is. Crypts are fine but you had better make lots of room for very fast growing stems till you get your tank balanced.

riverrat
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
thumperinflorida
Algae Grower

This one of many planted tanks I've had. I've kept discus and apistogrammas for years. I never spent much thought or money on lights. If they grew...great. So many tanks of very slow growing, low light plants.
This tank is a testing ground. Get my feet wet once again.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:43 AM   #8
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Go to www.ahsupply.com and get the correct kit(s) based on the length of your tank. Then buy the correct enclosure. Really easy to assemble and they give you the best bang for your buck.

And take a few minutes and read my Guide.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
thumperinflorida
Algae Grower

I just don't think I can put all that together. I'm really not handy with tools.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

It's a screwdriver and that's about it.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 PM   #11
thumperinflorida
Algae Grower

If you lived closer I'd ask for help in putting it together. I just don't think I'm all that savvy when it comes to directions that require even just one tool. I do appreciate the fact that you took the time to entire into the thread. I'm probably going to buy a coralife tonight.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
Ransom
Algae Grower

I was seriously considering going the AH Supply route for 2x55 until I realized that their enclosures are 9.75 inches wide while the 2x65 Aqualight I got instead is only 7.25". That's a huge difference if your aquarium is only 12" - I figured I would have to build/buy my own full canopy which would have destroyed the whole "bang for the buck" angle for me.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote