Hillstream/Borneo Loach Refuge - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #106
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hillstream/Borneo Loach Refuge

so i have been examining the heads of my viriosus, and i noticed that their heads look very different, most likely a regional type thing, but i have been trying to get two good headshots to document it.

i can only get a good photo of this guy.

this is the best i can get of this one

so this morning i'm doing my usual trying to get a good photo of the head, when i saw what looks to be mating!

this has been going on all morning, and i am pretty positive it is mating. territory battles are more violent(This is a territory battle in one of my tanks many years ago).

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #107
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Lovely tank and fauna, the linked territorial battle made me laugh, they look so cute and silly.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #108
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

thanks, i really miss those two they were my very first hillstreams. i've learned a lot about their care since those guys, i lost them because i had no idea what i was doing.

anyway all of those anubias i ordered are stuffed into that tank, and are doing very well! the heterophylla has a couple holes in it i think a loach snacked on it. my hastifolia has new leaf growing out, and it is a beautiful golden color! i'll try get a good photo of it when it opens.

and finally i got a good photo of my other viriosus for comparing.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #109
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

picked up this guys for $4 today!!

also my buce is going to flower today, i'll add a photo of that later.

i ended up moving my inle loach to another tank. i had known for sometime that he was a threat to my tangerine tiger shrimp but i had hoped that since he was the only one eating them my population would be okay. Sadly that was not the case, he is a voracious eater who made a huge dent in my TT population. so i moved him in to my 20L.

my TTs have already responded by coming out of hiding :-)

Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #110
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Nice find for $4! Real healthy long roots and not noticeable algae form the photo.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #111
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

it has little gsa on a couple old leaves but nothing very bad, or unexpected. i had been by a few weeks ago asking if it was for sale, and they said not yet they wanted it to grow out a little more. he pulled that piece out, and said $5, which i would have paid, but i asked if he would do $4, he debated it for a minute and said okay! a steal all the way around! i'm gonna try get some more in a from him and try to cover this piece of wood i have.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #112
DillZPickleZ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Really awesome tank. Love the journal. I have recently began my hillstream tank as well and i hope to get a lot like you. Any thoughts on getting some gobies (stiphodons) for the tank. I have a few and they are awesome in a river tank!!
DillZPickleZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #113
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

thanks dill!! when i'm buying them locally i always select the ones that look the most different from everyone else in that tank. on-line i've only ever purchased them from Gunpowder Aquatics, wetspot has them for sale quite often, but i've never really been totally happy their customer service. Not say i have anything against wetspot, but i'm just happier with gunpowder.

I have seen lots of people do gobies with Hillstreams, and it works out very well. that was actually my plan when i moved out here to florida. I was going to catch me a wild goby and put it in my hillstream tank. but when my Tiger tank broke, my hillstream tank was the only place they would do well in. So, there went the goby idea.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #114
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

I went to a lfs and petsmart today and was surprised to find bamboo shrimp (listed as a crayfish) and a variety of these loaches (most simular to the first photo of your first post in this thread) but it was marked as "hong kong pleco"... told the fish department person its labeled wrong, they knew, but aren't allowed to correct it.. they also said another store sold them as .. "fresh water flounders" ... morons.
I was half tempted to grab both and toss my still undecided 20g long stocking idea (was leaning towards otos, gold ram, and cherry barb) out but I don't know anything about keeping either of these so I resisted.... But I'm tempted to go to the local landscaping/quarry place and get some large smooth rocks for the tank and try them out... Are yours (shrimp and loaches) jumpers? What are your tank params at?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #115
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I went to a lfs and petsmart today and was surprised to find bamboo shrimp (listed as a crayfish) and a variety of these loaches (most simular to the first photo of your first post in this thread) but it was marked as "hong kong pleco"... told the fish department person its labeled wrong, they knew, but aren't allowed to correct it.. they also said another store sold them as .. "fresh water flounders" ... morons.
I was half tempted to grab both and toss my still undecided 20g long stocking idea (was leaning towards otos, gold ram, and cherry barb) out but I don't know anything about keeping either of these so I resisted.... But I'm tempted to go to the local landscaping/quarry place and get some large smooth rocks for the tank and try them out... Are yours (shrimp and loaches) jumpers? What are your tank params at?

of course they had them labeled wrong :-( if they are like the first photo they are gastromyzon, probably gastromyzon punctulatus or gastromyzon scitulus. i started looking at lanscaping quarrys, found some good rocks, but nothing in the color i wanted lol. they can tell you what is limestone or not.

i've had them jump during ammonia spikes.

my ph is like 7.4 or so, nitrates around 40-70. gh 20+ kh 12 or something

hope that helps....also check your inbox, i sent ya a long response.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #116
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
of course they had them labeled wrong :-( if they are like the first photo they are gastromyzon, probably gastromyzon punctulatus or gastromyzon scitulus. i started looking at lanscaping quarrys, found some good rocks, but nothing in the color i wanted lol. they can tell you what is limestone or not.

i've had them jump during ammonia spikes.

my ph is like 7.4 or so, nitrates around 40-70. gh 20+ kh 12 or something

hope that helps....also check your inbox, i sent ya a long response.
Thank you for the info here and in the pm! Very informative, always like hearing directly from an owner to find out a bit more ^^
If I go by that store again I'll snap a photo to get an ID on the exact breed. Had dog with me today and he gets bored when I check out fish.. pulls leash ("i wanna go sniff over there!").. and makes photo taking very difficult.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #117
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

I've been losing my white clouds....i've lost 5 over last couple weeks. its a bummer, and i'm not sure what the issue is. it is what it is.

anyway i was thinking about switching over to another nano fish to occupy the open water. i was thinking about cpds but i don't know. i just know i want to move away from white clouds for now. the tank is generally running above 75degrees so i can go with a tropical fish. two concerns to watch out for while picking a fish for this set-up, i need small mouths that are some what shrimp safe because i have the tangerine tigers in that tank, and also the tank has a lot of flow so long finned fish wouldn't survive well in this set up.

any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #118
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

so now i am thinking about redoing the tank a little bit. i want to take the left side of the tank and make it planted. i was thinking about removing a piece of granite from that side and filling it with more sand so that i can scape it in some way. i'm thinking everything left of the spray bar. i don't know what i would do with it but its something i have been tossing around in my head.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #119
Stone454
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...ugil-furcatus/ or any of the other blue eyes are great little fish small mouths, but not always easy to get, aslong as the current is slow/moderate they will do fine, you could probably keep them on their cold range side and the loachs will be fine.
Stone454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #120
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone454 View Post
aslong as the current is slow/moderate they will do fine.

lol thats gonna be a problem. this tank runs about 800 or 900 gph right now

Tags
borneo loach, gastromyzon, hillstream loach, hypergastromyzon, sewellia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.