Hillstream/Borneo Loach Refuge - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #76
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

it was a pain to move the 40b but its all back together. it was much easier to set up the second time. i still ran into so leak problems, which are my own fault, some of hosing i am using has a inner diameter that is to large, and requires a little extra force, and proper positioning to get the hose clamp just right.

i took from what i had learned watching the hillstreams at my apt and tried to make channels, so that everyone could have a territory, and i could view more at once. it looks a little crowded in the photo, but most of the time i can see 80% of the hillstreams out at one time.

i also traded a clown pleco from my other tank for a sewellia lineolata. i didn't have a white one, and he was all alone in his current set-up.

i love these little guys. i might be trading them away and doing a all gastro tank, i have a few humilis coming in, and one viriosus. i really wanted two viriosus, but i wanted a small group of humilis a little more, and i am honestly way over stocked for a hillstream tank. i just recently thought of building another tank for them, but if i do, it will have to wait until i am moved and settled in, in florida.

I made the mistake of visiting my favorite LFS in san antonio(other than the one i work at) and very quickly blew $30 on emerald rasboras, the myrios (only $1.25 ea should have bought more)
much to my excitement they stopped carrying reticulated hillstreams (sewellia lineolatta) and brought in Gastromyzon, i almost peed my pants with excitement! I'm pretty sure my gf is going to stop letting me to go LFS becaues "don't worry i'm just gonna run in real quick" always turns into a 2 hour affair of "i want this and that, and that. oh but where will i put it? i'll just get this. oh but man i really want that! OK! i'll get this instead....but man i don't know these are really cool." yadda yadda yadd. i stared at their gastro tank for about 20mins inspecting every single one, looking for that awesome rare find. i did find what i think to be a Zebrinus, but i don't have a positive ID, and it could just be a young gastro of another kind. Their patterning often changes drastically as they grow up. but either way its super cool, and very shy, so i don't have a good photo yet.

in the batch of rasboras came this guy
(bottom center)
i saw him in the tank, and forget to check what they netted to make sure i didn't get it, but i got distracted and forgot. does any one know what it is?

anyway on to the excitement of my tank! i have two berried shrimp, who i have never had berried before! one amano (now for the second time, i haven't been able to update since i saw her first berry) and one bamboo! its crazy i've been keeping bamboo for almost two years and never had one get berried! sadly it means nothing because i don't have the time to devote to try and actually breed them, but its really cool non the less.

living at home is giving my parents the tank fever and they are talking about buying one from me, which would be great because i don't want to carry many more tanks with me. but they don't want the fish that are in it. they are a little aggressive (gardneri killifish), so i will be selling my 3trio (1m 2f) at some point soon, to make room for whatever they want. it makes me sad, because the male is a third generation tank raised in my tanks. and is stunning! i have a 4th generation in my grow out tank, that i was going to replace my 3rd gen with when they got old enough, but now i might have to sell every one :-(.

heres a couple fun pics to close this update out.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #77
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Default More fish!

on the left gastromyzon humilis, the middle is gastromyzon viriosus, and on the right is cory sterbai.

two humils, the larger on is the viriosus again, and the sterbai tail.

very dark, but the body lines of a humilis are very clear.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #78
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

My mistake i miss typed it should be hypergastromyzon humilis, not gastromyzon humilis.

still researching on what the differences are but from observation it looks like hyper is flatter, and more active. i'm hoping some one will buy me The Borneo Suckers: Revision of the Torrent Loaches of Borneo by Tan Heok Hui, so i can learn alot more and be more able to ID species.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #79
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

so i'm a little paranoid. i'm leaving to work in florida for three weeks before i move out there, which leaves my mother and father to care for my tanks. its not that i don't trust them to do it, i'm just not gonna be here ya know? scares the crap out of me.

anyway i lost my large bamboo. makes me rather sad, he was cool. also i'm losing a few white clouds. i had one that was looking sick, and not swimming well. he was hanging out around my surface skimmer, and when i came home from work one day he had gotten his head stuck in it and was gone. i have another one acting the same way. i'm hoping its just age, i haven't had these guys very long, but they were full grown when i got them, so i have no idea how old they are.

any way i'm excited for the move. i can't wait to live in a new state. i've only lived in TX, and almost all of my life in San Antonio. i'll be moving 4 tanks with me, two are betta tanks that my gf refuses to let me get rid of. one is my crayfish tank, with a Ruby Red Peacock cichlid, and some brilliant Rasboras. and then this tank. my plan is to pick some battery opperated airstones, and put all of my fish in buckets with the airstones running for the drive. i'm expecting it to take three days of travel, and them i'm thinking the second day after we get the boxes moved in i can start getting the tanks put back together. my other thought is that i will keep the bio filters in the bucket to keep them alive.

any way i've got other things to do.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #80
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

I couldn't stop myself i bought one more fish.

it is called a Inle Loach, and she was in a tank with emerald Rasboras at the LFS. i'm not sure how i missed it as i have bought fish from that tank 3 times now and never seen her.

any way she schools with the rasboras, and is very inquisitive. very cool rare, and almost endangered fish.

this is the only photo i have of mine

the other is from some one else but i wanted ya'll to see her.

it was stupid of me to get a new fish two days before i leave for 3 weeks, but i'm really glad i did because of the rarity of the fish.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #81
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Goodluck with the move! Ugh don't even want to think about when I have to move out of my apartment and move all my tanks lol
Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #82
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

thank you!
don't leave if you don't have to. its the biggest PIA, i hated doing it, twice, nine tanks both times(maybe 8) now i have it down to 6! i'm trying to down grade a little more.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #83
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

i miss my tanks......

Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #84
zetvi
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Journal of the move? :d
zetvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #85
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Moving journal huh? i'll see if i can get enough photos to make it worth while....or if i have the time....i'm gonna need more buckets!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #86
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Here is the move "journal"

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=560418

Old 03-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #87
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

so i did a little water testing today, mostly to see if my tap water was usable in my tank. sadly i don't think it is because i have the tangerine tigers in the tank now (since their tank exploded during my move). any way here are the testing results

in the Tank

Ph 7.4
GH 14
KH 1
Nitrate 80

in the Tap
Ph 8.2
Gh over 20 (i stopped at 20)
Kh 11
Nitrate 0

i wanted to test TDS, but my meter is MIA after the move. i found the box but no meter inside.

pretty out there both ways.....i was hoping to save a few clams and use tap, but it seems to be to far out there to mess with.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #88
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

You could look into getting a cheap RO unit. They can be had at under $100 for a halfway decent unit. They also have attachments to hook onto your faucet so you don't have to modify any plumbing. Probably easier and cheaper in the long run than buying water from your LFS or wherever you get it. Just an option!
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #89
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

You could always do the trashcan ro method. Have the ro water empty into a 50 gallon trashcan and then have a small pump to pump the water from your trashcan to your tanks.
Glad to hear that the move went by without too many hitches. I'm in the works of setting up a 60 gallon display tank with a 60 gallon sump in an apartment.... So I'm trying really hard to future proof it for te inevitable moves that I know will happen. Makes everything a little more expensive.

So how many hillys do you have now?
Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #90
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

R/O unit is opposite of what i am trying to do, save money. while the $80-$100 will save me money in the long run i don't have that kind of money up front.

theres no future proof move tanks. i have moved tanks 3 times and every time it is just as hard as the last. and the longer the move, the more work you have to put into protecting the tanks.

i am down to 5 or 6 hillstreams.... my g. viriosus, 3 humilis, sewellia, and another spotted gastro i say yesterday but wasn't able to id which one.

Tags
borneo loach, gastromyzon, hillstream loach, hypergastromyzon, sewellia