Hillstream/Borneo Loach Refuge - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #61
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

at some point the lfs i Part time at brought in Kuhli loachs, but i thought they had all died off, or got sold. but i was up there yesterday getting more water and i saw one swimming around in the tank and i felt bad for the lonely bugger, so i took him home. i didn't realize how cool looking they actually are. which is weird to me since they are so snake like and i hate snakes!

any way i'm excited to see if he is happy in tank.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.

Last edited by Aquatic Delight; 10-12-2013 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: hates snakes
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #62
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

I learned a to feeding hillstream loaches a long time ago when i had a tank full of them.
have another smaller tank like 2 or 5G with a light on 24x7. let it get nice and full of green algae on everything. then you can start rotating stones in and out. the hillstream loaches love smooth stones covered in algae!
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #63
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Angry Aaaahhhhhh!

something is wrong. in the last 3 days i have lost one panda cory, my albino cory, a white cloud and my apisto died. i didn't test water until this morning, with the thought that it can't be ammonia because none of my shrimp are dying. but i tested this morning

ammonia .5 or .25 me and my gf dissagree on the color.
nitrIte 0
NitrAte 80

i'm guessing something is rotting somewhere, because i have done 3 20% water changes this week and i've been feeding every other day. the fish can get under the granite, so i'm debating pulling it up and looking, but i don't want to disturb the entire tank.

any other thoughts on what could be wrong?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #64
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I guess it is possible the new fish brought something in. Either way, I thought any reading of ammonia over zero was a bad sign in an established tank. I would try aggressive water changes.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #65
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I guess it is possible the new fish brought something in. Either way, I thought any reading of ammonia over zero was a bad sign in an established tank. I would try aggressive water changes.
i did bring in a batch of otos, and all of them died, but i removed each dead body. i just got back from filling my water jugs, i'm gonna a 50% today and then a 30 or 40% tomorrow(would be 50 but i need to do a wc on my cray tank.) i dosed with prime before i left to get my water, so everyone is okay right now.

i'm just really tripped up by the fact that none of my inverts are acting like the ammonia is effecting them, all 4 of my bamboos have been out feeding like normal, my amano is acting normal. they only clue i had that something was wrong is my snails went under ground.

usually the first thing i lose when ammonia spikes is my hillstreams, and i didn't lose one until sometime after i posted about this.

i have been debating treating the tank with marycn, or running to the store and picking a cheapo UV sterilzer to run on the tank, but i'm not sure that either of those are a good course of action being that i have ammonia.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #66
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

so i have no idea what happened. i think maybe the kuhli loaches hit a couple air pockets of anerobic bacteria while digging under the sand. In any case the tank is stable again, but the losses are terrible.

The first and hardest loss is my Double Red agassizi. as far as indiviual fish go, he was my favorite i've kept to date. i watched him give his last burst of energy before he passed. i didn't want to believe that he indeed had passed, i left him in the tank for a couple hours thinking he would come back to life and be okay, sadly that was just wishful thinking. Both of his females passed the next day, i'm not surprised by this, and honestly a little grateful. i'm not forced into getting another double red down the road should i decide to get another dwarf cichlid for that tank, i really want to, but i have my doubts as to if it would work again.

i also lost two or three hillstreams, one sewellia, and one gastromyzon for sure. i'm unsure if i lost another gastromyzon as i hadn't yet determined the difference in the 3 of the same speices. i was sad to see the gastro and sewe go as the two i lost had kind of paired off as friends, and spent most of their time hanging out near each other, and never battled. the gastro was the largest of the ones i had recently picked up (slightly larger than my sewellia) and i never for certain determined his scientific name. the sewellia was the only black and white (or silver) one i had ever seen at the lfs. i also lost of my white clouds, while i do love those little fish, it didn't make me near as sad the other losses.

probably the second saddest loss in all of this was my albino cory. he was one of the first fish i bought when i got into the hobby, and was very large. he was never camera shy in the early days, and i have quit a few good photos of him. its very very hard to lose a fish like that, when i got him he was tiny, maybe still a juvie, and i had no idea just how big cories could get. that was a rough lose for me.

in a unrelated loss to the ammonia, i also lost nearly all of my panda cories. my double red kept chasing them into the intake of one of my power heads, and i couldn't figure out why. until, while reading up on other dwarf cichlids i found a spot about breeding them, that mentioned that cories like to eat fish eggs. it all clicked after that.

in the last week and a half i lost a grand total of 18 fish (8 being the newly added ottos). what baffles me through all of this is i did not lose one single shrimp. not one amano, not one bamboo. wtf? bamboos, IME, are the first to go. it doesn't make any sense to me.

the only brightside to all of this loss, is it makes room for the new, and shockingly i have found new already. the day after ammonia stopped showing i found gastroyzom on aquabid!!!! and not the silly spotted common ones. stripped ones that i had never seen before!!!!

i bought them! they will arrive on friday. i know that this close after a huge loss like this, adding new fish probably is not the smartest idea...but i can't pass this up. i've been looking twice a day for around three months for these guys to show up anywhere, and they finally did! its almost like it was supposed to happen this way (maybe not, but i've never lost fish like that before). i will continue to monitor the tank, until they arrive. i also picked up a UV sterilizer (on clearance :-D) that i am going to run for the days leading up the fish coming in just to be safe.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #67
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

so today the fish came in! i was so excited to get them in, i started with a little tank re-arranging since the set up i had was to accomidate the dwarf cichlids i lost. so i made more smooth rock area and moved some stuff around. i'm happy with it for now, we will see how the hillstreams like it. really didn't do much to change it

i was rather unhappy with the fish came in. the photo was these guys.

but of the 5 i ordered only that one was what was pictured in the ad, the rest are

which are gastromyzon punctulatus, and can be found rather easily, and show up locally from time to time. i'm pretty unhappy. i paid alot of money for what i thought was going to be something special, and i ended up with what i feel is a rip-off.

anyway i'm happy to have a species tank now, and i look forward to seeing how things in the tank develop

Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #68
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

i shot a video of all the hillstreams in the tank except for one...

http://youtu.be/wvO7dq8CAqk

this guy.

this is the ones that i thought i was buying when i ended up with these

so i heard back from the guy i bought from. he apologized and said he wrote the note down incorrectly on what i wanted, and said he would send me out a few of the correct ones (which he is called gastromyzon sp01). I am very happy with the customer service. after my unhappiness settled away, i realized that the fish they sent me were super healthy and looked fantastic. over all i'm very happy with the fish, other than they aren't what i wanted them to be.

and heres a picture of something i see rather often in my tank

Last edited by Aquatic Delight; 11-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: make the post
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #69
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

They CAME IN!!! The guy put the wrong apt number on the package again so they sat in the post office over night. thankfully no one died! and they actualled looked much healthier (more color and very active in the package) then the other ones i had gotten from them. anyway i'm very happy with Gunpowder Aquatics, and will whole heartedly recommend them to any one who asks. i can't wait to see how the fish interact with everyone else in the tank. it is now at what i will consider its stocking limits, with a total of

10-12 gastromyzon (3 or 4 different species)
1 swellia lineolatta
3 cory cats (2 green aneus 1 panda)
6 white cloud mountain minnows
4 bamboo shrimp
2 kuhli loaches
5 ottos

Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #70
chrislewistx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Congratulations on the new fish. I like the bolbitis in the previous picture behind the bamboo shrimp. Do you know what kind of bolbitis that is?
chrislewistx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #71
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

its bolbitis Heudelotii,i got it as a ROAK when i first got into the hobby. I gave away most of it when i got tired of it, but kept a few rihizomes, its almost a year, but it finally started growing out.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #72
chrislewistx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have some kind of bolbitis I got from Adam. However, in my tank the leaves grow kind of clamped together. They dont lay out flat like yours do.
chrislewistx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #73
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

i think its the same one, if i remember right. he brought some to one of the swap meets.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #74
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

well i've been moving all of this week....omg do i regret my MTS right now. 7 of my 8 tanks are moved to my new temp home, back with my parents before i moved to florida.

the only tank left is this tank, my 40b. so far i have moved both 20l, 1 29g, 2 10g, and a 2.5g (which was nothing :-)). i imagine this tank will take me all day to pack up and move. i am going to pull all of the fish, remove the granite (i think), and all of the plants. i have 4 buckets to put plants and rock into, and plenty of bags for the fish, also while i have it out i am going to measure all of my PVC and make identicle pvc that i will spray paint and allow to dry for a full week like was recommended to me. i have noticed that the spray paint is beggining to chip off, and i don't like it.

anyway i'm exhausted. i'll have more to say in the coming days.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #75
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

today is the big day, moving the hillstreams today. so far i've moved everyone else, and only lost 1 pgymy cory. my crayfish, ruby red peacock cichlid, and the rest of that tank have been in a bucket since tuesday. we busted the bottom trim off that tank, and i don't want to set it up until i re-glue the trim on. it looks ugly with the silicon showing.

any way going to be a long day, i'll try to get some photos of the process to post on the blog. but that will be hard as i think my phone is packed in a box in storage, and i have no idea where i packed my camera .

i was hoping to have all day to do it, since i am normally off on sunday and monday and today is my last day in the old apartment, but since my birthday is thursday my boss gave me thursday and friday off. so i can't complain :-D, but i'll have to rush today to get the tank done.

any way off i go, have a wonderful day guys.

Tags
borneo loach, gastromyzon, hillstream loach, hypergastromyzon, sewellia