Ben's 75 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
benealing
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Ben's 75 gallon

Well, my wife finally agreed to an upgrade from the 20H. I just got is cycled and moved the fish over. There are only 7 fish right now, with the plan to have a large shoal of Harlequin Rasboras eventually.

It is lit by 2 overdriven T8 bulbs. It uses only a sponge filter. The substrate is blasting sand. I use CO2 and EI with osmocote in the substrate.

Let me know what thoughts you have if any. I am currently letting the tank mature more and getting some nice root systems established. I am definitely going to get some manzanita wood in there!

Ben

http://imgur.com/a/GEGoM
benealing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 12:38 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Probably about 25% more substrate than I might use but the plants seem healthy.
And as healthy as they look their likely growing well so they may use up all of the
nitrates. But watch the nitrates/w those Osmocote+ tabs and change a percent of
the KNO3 to K2SO4 if just before the water change the nitrates test high(red test
result).
Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
benealing
Planted Member

Thank you for looking.

Do you think there are definite advantages if I take the time to remove some substrate?

I was disappointed in how much substrate I used. I used a substrate calculator and just dumped it all in before spreading it out. It was after I spread it that it came out to be about 5 inches deep, rather than 3...
Old 05-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Freemananana
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Advantages? None aside from appearance. You'd probably get more feedback by linking images directly instead of a link like that. I'm not a fan of navigating other sites myself, so I'd guess there are more like me out there too.

I'd like some more equipment shots and stand shots. I'm a fan of those things at the moment. I'm sure the wisteria (I think?) on the sides will fill out really nicely very quickly.

As for substrate suggestions; I would make a slope from one side to the other since you already have the substrate. Just use some sort of waterproof, flat, board to give yourself a hill on one side. It will use up the substrate and give you a more appealing tank, possibly.

48"x18"x21" 75 gallon Aquarium
Any feedback in welcome!
Freemananana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
benealing
Planted Member

Thank you for uploading the pictures into the thread. I really appreciate it.

What do you think about me building up a hill around the sponge filter? I could aim the powerhead away from it so that it does not erode the hill. That way, the filter it out of sight?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Freemananana
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I would suggest planting around the filter instead of a substrate hill. The sand will eventually fall into it from water changes, current, fish, etc. It would be a mess most likely. You can easily put some of that wisteria in front of it or and never have an issue. I have some amazon swords in front of mine right now and you can't even see the intake.

Also, no problem on the photos. Just makes the thread more colorful!

48"x18"x21" 75 gallon Aquarium
Any feedback in welcome!
Freemananana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.