Dragon's Lair - ADA 60f
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Dragon's Lair - ADA 60f

Hey everyone! I'm the proud new owner of a 60f, and I thought I'd start a journal for it since there's just not enough of this tank around! I was originally gonna get a 12g long, but ended up decided that the size of the 60f was more my speed. And I couldn't be happier! This tank is gorgeous, and I'm so excited to get it started!

Tank: ADA 60-f
Filter: Eheim 2213
Lighting: Current Satellite LED+
Substrate: Amazonia
Hardscape: Granite
Plants: Marimo balls
Fish: Halfmoon betta, black harlequin rasbora

Here's a sketch I did to give you an idea of where this tank will hopefully end up:

I was waaay to excited to get started to take pics of all the equipment, so let's just start with the finished hardscape. The pebbles in there were just to help build up the hill, and will not be visible later on.

A tube of glue and 5 marimo later, the tank was filled.

And here's how it looks with the water clear:

It'll probably take a while to fill out cause the marimo don't grow enough to spread. Instead of being limited by lights and ferts, I'm limited only by my wallet lol.

I'll end this post with a picture of this tank's future inhabitant, my betta Glaurung:

Thanks for looking!
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

You are using clado right? thats thing will take over and never leave.

atm its round and looks good, lets see how it fills out.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Nice start and good choice in tank and lighting. I have both myself, but not together on the same application. Don't forget to join the Sat+ Club!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

awesome concept. are you just shaving the mariamo? how exactly are you splitting the balls and applying it into the substrate? Pictorial?
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

At this height are the optics of the current enough to cover the tank?
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
walluby
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Hiding

You are covering the most important rock.
That is your main focal point. I wouldn't
cover any of the rocks with the balls.
walluby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

That looks fabulous!! I love it. The betta will look great in there.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Wolf19
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any update on progress?

Also what program did you use to sketch?>
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

Whew, I've neglected this thread even worse than I did the tank! I'm really gonna make an effort this time to regularly update this thread, as I'd love to have a real chronological account how things are developing.

SO long story short, I never got around to adding more marimo, and what little marimo I did have got badly choked with diatoms and hair algae. I started adding trimmings of a. reineckii from my other tank to try to add plant mass, but the damage was done. So the tank sat around looking like trash for a couple months before I did a total rescape.

Here's how the tank looked when I first set it up in the beginning of September last year:

And here it is on January 26th, right before I tore it down:

Check out how nasty the marimo had gotten!

So I tore the whole thing down, re-adjusted the slope of the aquasoil, put back in the cave (I like it too much to give up on it just yet), a bit of the reineckii, a few stems of red nesaea, and some UG.

And a couple days later, I received some staurogyne repens, HG, and more UG from H4n.

Here's how the tank looked two weeks later on 2/8/14, thanks to EI dosing and lots of Excel:

Then this past Saturday, the real godsend for this poor tank arrived: my co2 regulator! I got GLA's daul-stage painball regulator. It was kind of intimidating opening that box, but I had no problems with the setup. I'll take a new photo tonight, but here's how the tank looked on Saturday before adding the co2:

I'm really happy with the UG growth I've gotten so far, considering I didn't do a dry start and didn't have pressurized co2. I still need to add some rotala wallichii in that spot behind the s. repens, and replace the regular a. reineckii with the mini type. I'm hoping that the marimo on the cave will recover, but if it doesn't I'll probably replace it with some fissidens.

I also just got a delivery of some Amano shrimp from Mzjinkzd, and they've already made a sizable dent in my algae!

Oh and here's a quick sketch I did of how I hope the tank will turn out:
Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
pseudomugil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks sweet, I love the dimensions of that tank; small, shallow and wide. I think that the original idea with the marimo carpet is brilliant and hope the marimo on the rock recovers...
good luck!
pseudomugil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #11
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

So only 5 days with co2 and there's some good visual growth on the UG, a. reineckii, and HG. The poor staurogyne started melting before the co2 got here, so it looks like turd. But the good news is it's sent out a ton of runners, so it's not dead yet! I hope it bounces back soon.

Also managed to snag a pic of one of my new shrimp buddies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudomugil View Post
looks sweet, I love the dimensions of that tank; small, shallow and wide. I think that the original idea with the marimo carpet is brilliant and hope the marimo on the rock recovers...
good luck!
Thanks! I really love the original idea too. I'll probably try it again in the future, only that time I'll start out with all the marimo I need. Hopefully it won't turn out to be a trainwreck again!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 AM   #12
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Wow... your tank really did go downhill... but I like the comeback! Good luck on the new direction. My 60F is in turmoil right now... we'll probably do a rescape sometime before or around summer.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Wow... your tank really did go downhill... but I like the comeback! Good luck on the new direction. My 60F is in turmoil right now... we'll probably do a rescape sometime before or around summer.
Yea it really did. I'm looking forward to seeing your rescape, though! I loved what you did with it the first time around.

~~~~~~

Some bad news for this tank, unfortunately. I've been in denial for the past week, but I have to come to terms with it.

I have spirogyra.

I'm guessing the rescape caused a small ammonia spike that induced this algae. I thought that the AS was mature enough to not cause a spike so I never tested for ammonia, but this is the only cause I can think of. It started out as a very small amount, so I thought just daily maintenance of picking out as much as I could would be enough to curb it for a while. But when I checked on the tank after getting home from work yesterday, I saw that it's moved from just being in the HG, to tangling itself around every plant in the tank.

So after reading through some treatment methods other people have had success with in the past, I decided to do a 3 day blackout, along with daily water changes and dosing 1mg/g of both excel and H2O2. I hope this will be enough to beat it into submission. If not, I'll remove the livestock and give the 1-2 punch a try. I started treatment last night, so hopefully I'll have some good news by the end of the week.

I'm also considering getting an additional light, or replacing mine all together. Currently, to get enough par with the satellite+ I have to rest it on the tank and I'm not getting enough light to the front and back when I do that. I'm trying to decide if I should get a second satellite+ and use both, or if I should just replace it with a ray2. Does anyone have a preference?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Any updates with the spiro? That's one of the most stubborn algae I've encountered. As long as you have no shrimp, the only method I found to truly be effective at killing it was Algaefix.

What did you decide on the light? I thought 1 Sat+ would be sufficient for a 60F. I'm going to have to experiment with mine to confirm this.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:38 AM   #15
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

Surprise surprise, I neglected this thread again! Since my last post, this tank fell to pieces for a second time. I was completely unprepared to deal with the spirogyra. I started out with just manual removal, but it quickly progressed to more than I could pick out. I tried doing a blackout twice, both times dosing h2o2 and excel. The existing spiro would die, but more quickly took its place. It eventually got so bad that my poor amanos were getting tangled when they ventured out into the UG. I didn't get any pics of it when it was that bad, but I did get some from earlier that are pretty clear, and would be good for identification purposes.

And so with that I had to restart the tank for a second time. This time, I completely replaced the substrate, as well as the filter media, and gave everything a massive scrub-down. The plants were bleach-dipped to kill the spiro. Unfortunately, the only ones to survive were the rotala wallichii (which is weird cause it's supposed to be delicate???), and the staurogyne repens. So I got some new HG, hydrocotyle, ar mini, ar variegated, and mini fissidens. I also ended up replacing the UG with HC, since no one was selling UG at the time. Here's how it looked when first set up on May 3rd:

The plants have recovered well, and have started to really take off. Last week I got some more HC to fill in the rest of the tank.

And here it is a week later:

I'm really happy with the growth so far. Only problem is a couple of the plants are growing too fast! The walichii has more than doubled in a week. I also ended up adding a second sat+ to really bump up the light. There's a very minor amount of hair algae and diatoms, but I just re-introduced the livestock today, so I expect the amanos and ottos to make short work of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Any updates with the spiro? That's one of the most stubborn algae I've encountered. As long as you have no shrimp, the only method I found to truly be effective at killing it was Algaefix.

What did you decide on the light? I thought 1 Sat+ would be sufficient for a 60F. I'm going to have to experiment with mine to confirm this.
So yea, I decided to go with dual sat+. To get the par I needed, the light had to be sitting on the rim of the tank, which meant not enough light was getting to the front and back. It caused a bunch of my HG to melt. Since I've added a second one, I've been getting great coverage and awesome growth! I'm definitely glad I went with a second satellite rather than getting a ray2.

Hopefully in another month or so the tank will really start looking good.

Tags
60-f, ada, current satellite led+, marimo ball