Bucks Dungeon... Happy Halloween
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 10-30-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

As promised .... a couple photo's of my basement. :shock:

I wish I was around in 1850 when they built this house, they must have had a few friends with shovels...

This first photo is that of the "boulder" they obviously hit when excavating the root cellar... the main chimney for the house is set right on it for support I guess.
Its about 6' high and as far as I can see it into the ground is 13 or 14' where it disappears. As you can see I have some cleaning out to do in here... I will have this dungeon looking better for "seances" some time. :twisted:

This area in the photo below is at the center of the houses floorplan and you can see in the top of the photo the "trees" that they used for main support's... The dark piece that is hanging diagonally is where I peeled the bark back on the one to check the wood... they are rock hard still...
The outer wall on the left has been cemented through the years but you can see the remaining 2 center stone walls are left in their original state. That "shelf" you see goes back about 5' and is about a 3' space that you can crawl right up on... but I try not too ...

Now you know why I call it "The Dungeon", this is only under half the house... the other half is only a 3' crawl space ... and yes... I had to go under there allready to resolder a pipe :evil:

So... you want to buy an 1850 Farmhouse huh? I do love history and its a dang good thing I do too ! :roll:

Old 10-30-2003, 01:50 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Where are you planning on putting The Rack and the Iron Maiden?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mike
Old 10-30-2003, 01:41 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

That would make a wicked cool spot for a Halloween party... for about 4-5 people! haha
Old 10-30-2003, 01:42 PM   #4
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

You got some history in there...
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:55 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

ok... I gotta ask.. how damp is that cellar?
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Believe it or not its not really as damp as you would think. Before I even looked in the house I had stopped and chatted with the guy that owned it outside and I asked him, " Do you get water in the basement and his reply was " Well when it rains for a couple days you DO get some water... :roll:

Now 2 days later I got the tour from the real estate agent and the first place I told him I wanted to see was the "dungeon". When I went down there was a hole with a sump pump in it and it only had about a 1/2" of water in it and this was at the peak of the wettest year in these parts that I can ever remember... :aah: I expected to see a water line around the walls... LOL

The ground is powdery dry all around the entire cellar except that 12" deep sump hole and that particular day was the only day I ever saw water in it at all since then.

The air of course is cool with a "damp" feel to it but if them trees dont show it after 153 years I doubt they will in my lifetime either. The sill is solid everywhere I can see and care to try to see so I have no fears there. Heck, believe it or not you are hard pressed to find a bug down there... I think they are even scared down there... LOL

I have a friend that just built his dream home and it cost him $300,000 "to build" it could sell for a half million in this market... after 2 days of rain at his house he has an Olympic sized swimming pool in his basement... his case is coming up in court now without much hope of winning he says, but he is trying for losses.
You would think that would happen in an old house like mine, not in one like his !

Oh yeh and Sam...
Next year the Halloween party will be in the barn, the hay lofts I figure can hold 45 people instead of 4-5...

And it is equally as eerie... LOL
Old 10-30-2003, 09:49 PM   #7
jart
Wannabe Guru

buckman, i doubt if you've had a chance to visit st john's nfld. but even now, the way they have to build houses (with spectacular views of the harbour, on the side of a cliff :lol: ) is to quite often remove whatever boulders they can, and just leave the rest encased in the foundation. (you can't really use tnt if your neighbour's house is a few feet away). so if it's any consolation, even some new houses in newfoundland have huge sized boulders in the basement.

also, if you can hook up some lights, you could keep some koi down there. why don't you hit gulf up for some pond plants?
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:48 PM   #8
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

That would be good for my buddies basement but the closest I came to water in mine is when my 56 gallon cracked a couple weeks ago and ran through the hardwood flooring ! LOL

Koi in the basement is a suggestion Im sure my wife would shoot me for... but thats only if I escaped from the nuthouse she would have me committed to ! heh
Old 10-30-2003, 10:58 PM   #9
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

For some reason when you said "Koi in the basement" I flashed back to monday and my "loaches in the bathtub"
Old 10-31-2003, 01:35 PM   #10
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

You guys heard it - Halloween 2004 in Buck's Barn! Plan on being there!
Old 10-31-2003, 10:50 PM   #11
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

I told the wife I should grab a six pack and a flashlight and go up into the loft of the barn and see how many people I could freek out as they drive by by grabbing there attention real quick with a flashlight and then when they turn around to see if they "really saw someone in that window" use a really dim light to briefly silhouette myself, then just see how long they stick around to see me again... LOL

On second thoughts...this may require a 12 pack...

Old 10-31-2003, 11:11 PM   #12
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

12 Pack of American Beer.. heh...

You wouldnt survive a Saturday night at my place Buck ;-)
Old 10-31-2003, 11:25 PM   #13
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

heh... dont bet on it G... but it would be a blast trying
Old 10-31-2003, 11:34 PM   #14
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey buck.. when is the pool table coming for the lower level rec room?
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:35 PM   #15
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

heh heh heh :-)

Gotta love Higher alcohol Content good ol CANADIAN beer!! ;-)

I started drinking last night.. took a break so I could go to work... I'm going home and drinking till sunday!

I've got a party on Saturday with some women of questionable virtue.. heh... Should be fun