My algae issue, help please.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
tetra120
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My algae issue, help please.

The tank in question is 75 gallons, it's 21" deep with 2 - 2 bulb T5no box store shop fixtures, NO reflectors, that are 4" off of the waters surface.

Issue: The tank is full of what I think is Rhizoclonium (it does peril from just after lights on to lights off (8 hours), The plants and rocks are covered in the stuff, it comes off of the leaves with wiping(crypts and vals), rocks have some help with removal-Mbuna (they are nice and fat).

The cause of Rhizoclonium is said to be: low co2(yep, non-co2 tank), pour water flow(I had only a Rena XP3 running in the tank, 175gph - to low?) and low nutrient levels (tank fert levels were;kno3 of 10, po4 of 2 - OK levels for a non-co2 tank?)

Going off of the Par vs Distance for T5 light fixtures chart, a T5no Coralife 2 bulb fixture gives about 10 umols, so low light, correct? (2 fixtures front and back for even coverage, correct?)

I added some crypts, some vals. of some sort and a clump of Egeria densa for looks and the fish are leaving them alone, the vals. are not doing so well and the Egeria densa is just there but no Rhizoclonium on it, my guess is not enough light but the crypts are sending out new leaves and runners so they are doing good, but the Rhizoclonium makes them all look awful.

I added 2 penguin 660 power heads to help move water around more. I've added a little more nutrients to boost the levels up, a little more is OK correct?

The tank has been running with more ferts and flow for 2 weeks and the only thing I see happening is more growth of the Rhizoclonium.

How do I add photos??? need to make them smaller also.

What should I do next? give it more time, drop a bank of light or tare it down and start over?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6211.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	114042  

Name:	IMG_6212.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	114050  

Name:	IMG_6213.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	114058  

Name:	IMG_6214.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	114066  

Name:	IMG_6215.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	114074  

Last edited by tetra120; 03-27-2013 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: got the photos figured out
tetra120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Adam C
Algae Grower

PTrader: (32/100%)

Well I definitely wouldn't go tearing it down! There aren't many plants in there. There are many non-co2 plants that you could find locally (or check the SnS) to put in. You may consider adding co2 as well. If not, reduce photoperiod and plant more. Keep up with weekly water changes.

~ Adam
Adam C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

175 gph is definitely way too low. The rule of thumb is a minumum of 4x the tank size. Use power heads or recirculation pumps to maintain flow in dead areas.

If you're not going to run CO2, you'll need shorter lighting and more plants to soak up nutrients. If it were me, I would look into a low dosage of CO2. You don't have to hit 30 ppm, but definitely would benefit from anything over what your exchange rate is giving you (2-5ppm)

Side note, I love that rock formation.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Seems to me it is always best to remove as much algae as possible to start with. It doesn’t look like it would be all that hard to take the rocks out and clean them. I would concentrate on more plants and less rock for a while. The tops of the rocks are getting huge amounts of light.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote