Dimable High output T5 Ballast??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Question

Dimable High output T5 Ballast??

While researching Helios lights which Wasserpest turned me on to http://www.commodityaxis.com/ProductData.aspx?id=68

I googled (stumbled) upon some info that I haven't had a chance to check out yet. But it seems there are some dimable ballast for HO T5s made by Helios aka Slyvania/Osram aka Quicktronics

Apparently these Osram Slyvania T5 HO can be used with a dimmable ballast? Now this is really getting interesting. See this link:
http://www.aboutlightingcontrols.org.../dimming.shtml

Or this link: http://www.pacificparts.com/vends/os...ick.helios.htm

Anybody know anything about these dimmable ballast?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #2
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (201/100%)

Yes, there are dimmable ballasts such as the one offered by Osram Sylvannia. The problem is the cost. The ballasts are very expensive, as are the computers necessary to operate them on a timer. We're talking hundreds of dollars here. It's much more cost effective to setup sets of bulbs on different plugs. Then you can set them to come on at different times. The wow factor isn't quite as cool, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and just as effective.

I know PJAN has a dimmed setup on his system. Perhaps he'll chime in with some help.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #3
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

PJAN has some cool tricks for how to control dimming. I'll let him spill the beans on that... But even then it requires a dimmable ballast, and the right kind at that.

T5's have been dimmable for a while, all you got to do is buy an Ice Cap 660 or 430, and a Solar 750 or 1000. As before, the only problem is $400 or more to do it.

Now it would appear that there could be few more options lurking out there. Like this. I'm just waiting for it to get cheaper!
Old 03-28-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Steve. Good stuff. BTW, I just heard from a LFS owner the Helios lights are crap. One turn the wrong way and the whole tube and mini ballast is fried. He has a whole box of them that he can't in good conscious sell and no way to return them. Just a heads up. Sunlight supply is looking better all the time. I just wish there was an easy way to put in some moonlights on the Teks.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Old 03-28-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
BTW, I just heard from a LFS owner the Helios lights are crap. One turn the wrong way and the whole tube and mini ballast is fried.
Bob, I've heard similar stuff about the Solar dimmers with the Ice Caps. PJAN may be loaning me one of his though, to see if we can get it working in the states. If so I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Yeah, moonlights would be nice.

You know though, you can buy little incandescent spot halogens (cabinet lighting from Home Depot) that are dimmable. Even easily progmatically dimmable with various forms of X10 controllers. I've got a set myself, but have yet to hook them up - too busy with algae and other distractions. Just a thought worth considering.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Steve, (hijacking this Dimmer thread) I am totally sold on having 3 or 4 LED moonlights. Nightime is a great time to watch timid fish/shrimp with a highball in hand. This time I'm going to figure out a way to have them fastened on a Tek or in a DIY so I don't have to take down my "screen" whenever I want to dive into the tank.

I just have to make a wierd shaped/angled box to make it fit on the front of the Tek. I'm sure you can see what I mean regards the angle problem of putting 4 LEDs on the Tek's front, since you own one.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Steve, (hijacking this Dimmer thread) I am totally sold on having 3 or 4 LED moonlights.
Can you hijack your own thread??? If it is a real problem for you Bob, go back to the first post and change the title.

But I do understand your point. So I figure when the "new" Teks come out, with dimmable ballasts and moon lights, I'm just gonna put a slightly used 48" 6-bulb up in the "Swap and Shop" forum.