brand new 38 gallon dirted tank! ( picture heavy )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
jaymc1234

PTrader: (0/0%)

brand new 38 gallon dirted tank! ( picture heavy )

1st of all I wanted to thank everyone on this forum, the info on this site was incredibly helpful!

A quick run down of what I'm using:

tank: 38 gallon
filter: eheim 2215
lights: 2x 39 watt T5HO's ( 1 10,000k bulb & 1 6700k bulb )

On to the journal

Prepping the tank for paint...
[IMG][/IMG]

Can't go wrong with a black background..
[IMG][/IMG]

On to the dirt! ( I'd most likely use topsoil in the future, the potting mix had TONS of wood in it which was a PITA to sift out )
[IMG][/IMG]

Mineralizing the dirt! ( I gave up at 3 soaking/dry cycles, 2 weeks straight of rain was not helping )

Picked up a 50 pound bag of my capping material for 12.99 ! ( check out the warning in red on the bag, hah )
[IMG][/IMG]

This pic was taken 30 seconds after filling up the tank, I was amazed how relatively clear the water was. I ordered my driftwood online & wasn't crazy about the large piece on the left.
[IMG][/IMG]

Did some rearranging, much better imo.
[IMG][/IMG]

Plants arrived in the mail today & they came in fantastic shape! I have no idea how people cut & plant individual glosso stems! I started planting them individually but gave up after an hour or so & just started "planting" clumps.

[IMG][/IMG]
Full tank shot..

Java ferns..

[IMG][/IMG]

Hygrophila Pinnatifida...

[IMG][/IMG]

Some other random shots, I got taiwan moss on the large piece of driftwood &
corkscrew vals in the back.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I really need to get my camera back, these iphone photos are pretty poor quality.

This is my 1st freshwater tank ( I had a reef tank years ago ), so I guess now I'll just wait & see how my plants do.

I plan on stocking this tank with 9 tiger barbs, 10 dwarf chain loaches & 2 keyhole cichlids ( the 1/2 clay pot is for them )

Thanks for reading, I'll post some more shots when I get my digital camera back ( its on loan ), hopefully it will be shots of nice growth & not an algae farm

Last edited by jaymc1234; 06-06-2013 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: trying to get pictures to load
jaymc1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
jaymc1234

Ok, one month later update!

Plant growth has been VERY slow, the corkscrew vals have almost completely melted & the glosso has been growing, but only straight up.

Despite being fully stocked now my nitrates have never gone above 5ppm & usually read nearly zero, I've started dosing nitrate, flourish & excel to hopefully spur some growth.

On to the stocking,

My 1st addition was 10 tiger barbs. I love these little guys, they are extremely active & constantly schooling.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Next I added 2 bolivian rams, the larger of the two was surrounded & cornered by the entire school of barbs when I 1st introduced them but thankfully no damage was done & now the barbs completely ignore the rams. The rams started out as best buds but the last few days the larger ram has begun chasing the smaller around the tank ( esp at feeding time ). Is this normal? No damage has been done yet, I'm pretty sure I have a male & female.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Shortly after I purchased an african leopard fish. Despite being only an inch long the barbs never once bothered the leopard. After a few days s/he? got over his or her shyness & now comes right up to the surface to join the feeding frenzy with the barbs.

[IMG][/IMG]

My last addition was a gorgeous gold nugget pleco I saw at the LFS today.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Some random tank shots

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think the cat enjoys the tank even more than me..

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jaymc1234; 07-08-2013 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: update
Old 07-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
jaymc1234

Oh I forgot to ask, but can anyone confirm that the gold nugget only grows to 6 inches? The LFS told me 6 inches but I'm reading conflicting reports online now, ( some say 6 some say 12 ! )

Thanks