28g bowfront - first planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
nanous
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

28g bowfront - first planted tank

LATEST PHOTO, 5/24

Started off with a 15g, immediately upgraded to a 28g bowfront. Initially used landscaping gravel because i was too cheap to buy substrate.. far too big for an aquarium but interestingly I didn't have any problems with it. Tons of food and debris got trapped in it, but the water never tested problematic. I think the strong bio filter (oversize sponge filter plus oversize HOB) did the trick.

Got sick of all the junk in the tank and realized the plants would never grow in the big gravel. Set up the 15g again, transferred the fish into it, and rebuilt the bowfront. Used black diamond blasting media for substrate... still a cheapskate, but now one who reads the planted tank forum. Build up under the big gravel was nasty. New substrate looks much better, as does the cleaner profile.

Moved the driftwood around to expose the more interesting side and create more room in the tank. Picked up some new plants at the LFS. Planning on getting more, still planning things out. I want some tall plants along the back and right side, as well as more ground cover.

small Ghost Shrimp, 7 in the tank, several berried females

driftwood and these lillies from a local stream

kept the 15g set up as a shrimp/breeder tank. any suggestions? what to breed, substrate, etc... was thinking galaxy rasbora/CPD. pink apple snails going nuts and getting beautiful color in the small tank... i think it's because the temp is slightly lower. 70-73 rather than 75-78 in the bowfront.

More updates soon! They'll be shorter, i promise!

Last edited by nanous; 06-18-2013 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: added latest photo to top
nanous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
zombieskickass
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Good looking tank but you might want to take out what looks to be bambo in your aquarium the leafs aren't meant to be submersed it'll start to melt after awhile.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
BarbH
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: 28g bowfront - first planted tank

Looking good, like the last picture of cat tv. Do agree you will want to remove the bamboo, supposed to be emersed not submersed. Look forward to seeing how this grows in.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
nanous
Planted Member

it DOES look to be bamboo. it in a plant package I got for like 3 bucks stopping through a petco to grab catfood. I actually don't like how it looks in there and don't know why I haven't taken it out already.

It has been in the tank since september, if it were bamboo shouldn't it have melted already?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
nanous
Planted Member

Default specs

-28g bowfront
-170gph powerhead w/ lustar sponge
-evo quad light:
http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-...TR-p/56261.htm

Price is right on that light... did some reading on forums before purchase, and I like it. Build is solid, lights are bright. Definitely appreciate the double strip for my wide tank.

I read mixed opinions about the bright whites / actinics for plants. They made my plants grow like crazy in huge gravel. In the new sand plants have roots extending to the bottom of the tank in less than one week. The actinics do cause algea, if i leave them on overnight I can see it in the morning.

fauna

-5x harlequin rasbora
-3x red eye tetra
-2x cories
-1 german blue ram, female
-1 dwarf puffer
-1 half beak
-1 bushynose pleco
-1 montezuma swordtail

Bought the tetra first after cycling the tank. They're nice and big now, but itching for something else more attractive.

The montezuma came in a pair that I thought might reproduce easily. They did not, and the female died suddenly after a few months. Not sure why, no problems with the water. Story is the same with the rams, male also died suddenly. I think this is common with GBRs. A friend bought me 7 CRS as a gift, and the male GBR promptly ate them all and then dropped dead. It was like watching him suck up 5 dollar bills. Ouch. They had one batch of eggs, but ate 'em up with some bacon after a few days. I've been thinking about getting another male, but the female is 3x the size now of the young rams in the LFS.

Love the half beak. Cheap buy on a whim, but he stays at the very top of the water column and is great to look at from the top and sides. When he dives down he really shines under the bright white lights.

Puffer is a punk. Never see him eat but he has got himself nice and fat, and hides every time i come near the tank. He's not personable, none of that eating out of your fingers stuff you see with spotted greens.

Bushynose does his thing. Wondering if he is a bushynose, seems more brown and less black/white spotted, and shows no sign of a bushy nose. Could be a female? What a great fish.

Cories are for lovers.

Thinking seriously about picking up a school of galaxy rasbora. I like them because they look like brook trout, which I love to fish for. Will probably give the montezuma to a friend with a live bearer tank. I had a molly for a while that I also gave to this friend because he was a bully. Not into livebearers for some reason.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanous View Post
-28g bowfront
Thinking seriously about picking up a school of galaxy rasbora. I like them because they look like brook trout, which I love to fish for. Will probably give the montezuma to a friend with a live bearer tank. I had a molly for a while that I also gave to this friend because he was a bully. Not into livebearers for some reason.
+1 on the looks like brook trout
Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
nanous
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
+1 on the looks like brook trout
for all you fish keepers who don't lead double lives as fish killers

Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
nanous
Planted Member

put in some work today...

in this first pic you can see the bumblebee goby i forgot to mention.

trout season

Last edited by nanous; 03-27-2013 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: deets
Old 03-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
nanous
Planted Member

... who knew those CPDs would grow up so fast

Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
nanous
Planted Member

Default uh oh

undergoing some trials and tribulations.

Just received an awesome plant package from Justari when I left town for a few days and asked a friend to feed the fish...

came home to a carpet of expanded omega one veggie discs, a few dead shrimp, and a ton of algae. Is it possible for shrimp to eat themselves to death?

Vacuumed as much of the food out as possible, didn't feed for two days and did a nice water change. Things are looking up. Cutting light to around 10 hours per day hoping it will clear up the algae.

Lots of my new plants are covered in algae, thinking about picking up some otos? My snails have never seemed to do the trick and my pleco is a lunk. Anyone have qualms about keeping only two otos?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
nanous
Planted Member

So... picked up two otos... and two Corydoras habrosus because I couldn't resist.

A bit overstocked, but haven't had an issue with this before. My levels are always zero.

Also picked up some nutrafin plant gro to see if fertilizer helps clear out the algea. I have green spot algea on my glass and BGA on my plants. Also keeping lights off most of the day this weekend. Hopefully this helps both my plants and my algea problem!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
nanous
Planted Member

some new plants from justari... seem to be getting ahold of the algea issue. Realized that my levels always being at zero is probably a problem in a planted tank so started dosing with ferts... also setting up DIY co2.

Last edited by nanous; 04-12-2013 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: details.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
AguaTropical
Planted Member

It looks much more filled in with your new plants! That piece of DW is awesome too. Good work haha

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
nanous
Planted Member

Still getting hammered by BGA. Upping my ferts, added DIY co2, and cut light to basically blackout.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
nanous
Planted Member

Been in "total blackout" for 2 days, BGA is hurting. Looks like it's almost cleared up. Seeing a lot of new growth on my plants. Probably a combination of ferts and beating back the algea, as well as the DIY co2.

I initially had the air intake of my powerhead spewing bubbles to give the fish oxygen, but I removed it because it was probably sapping all the co2. Anyone know the actual physics of this? Though water movement was still good (170gph), a film was appearing on the surface due to the lack of agitation. I reinstalled the HOB I was initially using in tandem with the sponge/powerhead before I rebuilt the tank with black diamond.

My snails have been suffering, and I believe it's because a lack of calcium. Their shells look brittle. Before the black diamond, I had river rocks as a substrate which probably provided a host of minerals the black diamond is not. They thrived in the tank with rocks. Therefore, when I reinstalled the HOB i took out the filter medium and threw in the river rocks. This provides some surface agitation in addition to the movement provided by the powerhead, and will hopefully correct whatever deficiency is killing my snails.

I suspect that my lack of snails is throwing my pea puffer into kill mode, as it looks like a number of my fish have bites taken out of their fins (no blackness, whiteness, or moldiness, just round bite-looking chunks out of the edges and corners). My invertebrates have mysterious disappeared too (snails/shrimp). I think the water softness and the pea puffer basically did the snails in.

Ordered a bunch of needle valves and brass parts to do a serious DIY co2 experiment:

My plan is to put a ton of solution in a large cat litter container, with a 2 liter bottle as a co2 reservoir, check valve between them. The 2 liter will have water in the bottom and an airstone to filter the co2. Between the reservoir and the diffuser will be a 60psi safety valve, 60psi gauge to measure the pressure, and then two needle valve in series, one to turn the gas on and off, the second to fine tune it. I highly doubt I will be able to produce anywhere near this pressure, or that my seals won't fail before the pop off valve is triggered. We'll find out though. My next idea is to fill a Cornelius keg with co2, and then draw it off with this same rig rather than using a tank and regulator. I have tanks and regulators, but they get used for making tasty beverages! Curious how long a pressurized keg will last... easy enough to recharge too, and no risk of failure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.