Pure Laterite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-22-2002, 08:10 PM   #1
Steve_WI
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well to my surprise, my local fish store had a new section in the store for live plants as in fertilezers and co2 systems. I have given up on the flourite idea. I dont feel like driving 50 plus miles to the nearest store or buy it off the internet. Well my lfs is selling what is called FIRST LAYER PURE LATERITE by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. I bought a 55 oz (3.44 lbs) box of the stuff for $15. Seeing that I already have an established tank and seeing that it is only a 5 gallon tank I will just tear it down and start over.

Is laterite any good? Whats the difference between laterite and flourite?

The directions say to add 1 oz for every US gallon, which for my tank equals 5 oz. But 5 oz dosent seem much for a planted tank. I am suppose to mix it with gravel and then put it at the bottom and add another 1ch of gravel on top of that. Should I add more Laterite seening that I have alot?

Any helpful tips that I should know about when using Laterite?

Thanks
Steve_WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
Flgatorguy
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy

Well so far i have not had any problems with AP products....personally im not sure the difference between the 2 are.....but what i did was use el-cheapo kitty little and supplement the plants with Root Tabs (made by AP and also contain first layer laterite) and Leaf Zone (liquid fert and again made by AP)......everything is doing great......hope what i said helps....goodluck!
Old 11-23-2002, 01:29 AM   #3
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Make sure you keep the laterite under the gravel enough so the water doesn't cloud. Laterite clouds the water really easily!

-Tim
Old 11-23-2002, 01:29 PM   #4
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

It doesn't take much, for an awesome looking planted tank.. I put about half the box, under my gravel in my 10 tall, and the plants are thriving! My crypts especially. Laterite has to be one of the messiest things I have EVEr put in my tank OMG its bad, its really bad.. keep that in mind, while you work. It's worth it in the eadm but ur tank will be cloudy for a day or 2...
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote