Eco-Complete, nutrients and exactly how much?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-28-2003, 07:41 PM   #1
blueoctober
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi all,
I have a 20 long tank I want to turn into a planted aquarium, and I have been considering substrates. I've been hearing a lot about this Eco-complete, and was wondering if I need to also get root tabs or some other type of bed-conditioning nutrients with this stuff. I am planning on buying all I need to get started at once, and wondered if I need to add Root Tabs too. I was also plannin on getting Flourish as well as Excell to go along with it too. Any thoughts?

Oh, and any idea how much I need to fill say 2" for a 20 long? They cmoe in 20 pound bags, and I was thinking 2 bags. Sound right?

Thanks!
blueoctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

2 bags should be sufficient for the 20.

If you are planning to add any heavy root feeders then some root tabs will definately be needed. It dont matter what you use for a substrate, if your choice of plants are root feeders then supplements are necessary.

Eco-Complete is a fine choice for a substrate
Old 11-01-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
infin
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

how much does one bag of eco- complete cover? my tank dimensions are 9x24" , will 1 bag be enough, i hat to get 2 bags and be way too much, or one bag and not enough. i cant find any specs on the bag sizes or how much they cover, like flourite specs.
infin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:37 AM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

One bag works great in a 10 gallon. So that being said you will really need more than one bag and probably less than two. So you could mix it with some fine gravel or coarse sand.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
blueoctober
Algae Grower

I think I am going to go with 40 lbs, or two bags, since I would like to do a little sloping action, and maybe that will give me enough to make a nice landscape. If 40 is too much, I'll just share it with a friend of mine who is also considering getting Eco-Complete. But I want to do the sloping thing, so hopefully this will be just enough.

I'll also go with the root tabs or similar fertilizer to condition the bed. I am going to attempt the glosso experiment using a 55 watt compact fluorescent in my 20 long. I hope that will be enough.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

It should work well. But there will be parts of your tank that basically have no light. Either one end or both ends depending on how you situate the light. Also you may find that either the front or back will not be lit well. Your tank is so short that the light may not have time to fully spread across the full depth of the tank.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:16 AM   #7
blueoctober
Algae Grower

Really? So even the 55 watt 30" compact fluorescents are short on the ends like the regular fluorescents? So then I should probably plant the glosso in the middle front if that is where the light hits more? I don't mind low light in places, since some of the fish I am considering like shadowy parts, and I'll try to keep low light plants in those areas.

As an update to the Eco-Complete question, I succesfully low bid on a 40 lb bag of the stuff on eBay. I paid $9 for the bag, but I'm getting killed on shipping, like $29. All total it's $38, which is about $10 cheaper than if I bought 2 20 lbs bags at Dr Fosters, after shippiing.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:35 AM   #8
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

Hmm.... could you post the link to the auction? It only comes in 20 lb bags as far as I know. 55 watt CF light bulbs are normally 21-22" long. If you are buying a commercial fixture it might be 30" long but the actual bulb is only 21-22" long. You will get some spread on the ends but it's not a whole lot.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:26 PM   #9
infin
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=46308

man wish i looked on ebay first
infin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:52 PM   #10
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

That is an awesome price... I never heard of 40lb bags either though...

$ 9 for a 20 lb bag would even be a good price dependant on their shipping costs... I believe I paid 21 dollars a bag "shipped" from Drs Foster & Smith...16.99 plus $4 extra per bag to ship.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:48 AM   #11
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

They are selling a case. Two 20 lb bags. I emailed them this morning and got the reply while I was at work. Damn good pricing.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #12
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Shipping on that auction is $29.00.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:55 PM   #13
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

It is a good price, but considering the shipping it doesn't make that much of a diff. if you buy from eBay or from Drs.Foster&Smith! I plan to buy 6 bags for my 75g, which will cost $135(w/shipping) from Drs.Foster&Smith. But if I bough it off eBay, it will cost $114. I just wish the shipping were cheaper :roll:, anyways why is the price so high for shipping alone!? :?
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:30 PM   #14
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

The biggest way online dealers soak you is through exhorbitant shipping or "handling" costs. Makes the price look good, but the "price" is not the real price.

James
Old 11-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #15
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

Seriously, I think I'm going to buy it from Drs.Foster&Smith because I trust their company and I can't be sure the Eco-Complete from eBay hasn't been used.
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote