Lily pipe on a 125g? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Silock
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Certainly doable. Whether you have enough flow will be dependent on your pump, not the lily pipe. It might be better to have an output and input on each end of the tank though. Here's a 6 footer from AFA and you can find a lot more examples especially in the ADA gallery in Niigata.

http://www.adana-usa.com/images/gallery/180P-main.jpg
That's pretty fantastic. It looks like there is Inout and output at both ends. Are they using two filters for that, or did they fabricate some kind of T to split the outflow? Seems like it would be bad for output flow, but I guess if it's just based on pressure, it would work. Wouldn't want to wear out the filter prematurely by making the motor work too hard.

Edit: I was planning on using my Cerges reactor to dissolve the co2, so one filter would be preferable. If I need to add a power head, I'm not opposed. I'm having good flow on my 30b with just a spray bar, so I kinda wanted to upsize that. However, my 30 has surface scum problems, so I added a surface skimmer, which I hate. Don't want it on my 125. It's a pain in the butt. So lily pipe with a vortex was my solution.
Silock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

One lily pipe with one filter? I would not find that adequate. Unless you have a rimless tank and want the aesthetic, there are more effective ways of distributing flow.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
That's pretty fantastic. It looks like there is Inout and output at both ends. Are they using two filters for that, or did they fabricate some kind of T to split the outflow? Seems like it would be bad for output flow, but I guess if it's just based on pressure, it would work. Wouldn't want to wear out the filter prematurely by making the motor work too hard.

Edit: I was planning on using my Cerges reactor to dissolve the co2, so one filter would be preferable. If I need to add a power head, I'm not opposed. I'm having good flow on my 30b with just a spray bar, so I kinda wanted to upsize that. However, my 30 has surface scum problems, so I added a surface skimmer, which I hate. Don't want it on my 125. It's a pain in the butt. So lily pipe with a vortex was my solution.
I'm sure they're using two filters. If you want to use one filter you might think about a sump or wet dry. If you want to stay with a canister then look at the larger ones like an Eheim 1500XL.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
I'm sure they're using two filters.
It appears so on the one that you linked from AFA (nothing wrong with that), but look at the 180 size tanks in the gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/plantella/natur...m_gallery_2005

These have one filter. The only one that appears to have two filters and two diffusers is the 10-ft entrance tank. There is a limit, but how many of us have 10-ft tanks. But if you look at my link and the other tanks at ADA the 6-ft and under tanks have one filter and no powerheads
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
House of cards that tank is beautiful
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
It appears so on the one that you linked from AFA (nothing wrong with that), but look at the 180 size tanks in the gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/plantella/natur...m_gallery_2005

These have one filter. The only one that appears to have two filters and two diffusers is the 10-ft entrance tank. There is a limit, but how many of us have 10-ft tanks. But if you look at my link and the other tanks at ADA the 6-ft and under tanks have one filter and no powerheads
Yep, most of the larger tanks in the AGA gallery appear to have one filter. The image I posted of the 180p from AFA was just the first image of a larger tank that google gave me.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
Silock
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm sure they're using two filters. If you want to use one filter you might think about a sump or wet dry. If you want to stay with a canister then look at the larger ones like an Eheim 1500XL.
I'm trying to stay away from a sump. I have a Cascade 1500 for it (350 gph). If possible, I'd rather just add a powerhead than another filter.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
Silock
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
One lily pipe with one filter? I would not find that adequate. Unless you have a rimless tank and want the aesthetic, there are more effective ways of distributing flow.
Is there another way that doesn't require a sump, and will deal with surface scum without using a surface skimmer?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #24
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yep, most of the larger tanks in the AGA gallery appear to have one filter. The image I posted of the 180p from AFA was just the first image of a larger tank that google gave me.
That information is also supported by 'The Book of ADA' which gives the specs of some 'photo shoot' tanks in terms of equipment, co2, maintenance. The filter used on the 6-footers is the Super Jet ES-2400 which has a flow rate of about 480 GPH out of the box from what I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That would give a 180 with that filter a turnover over under 3x out of the box.
From a maintenance side, yeah the gallery could be over maintaining, but what about co2/fert delivery on such a long tank with that flow? I don't see any deficiencies from lack of flow.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #25
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
To what end? Whether it's rimless or not, pushing the aesthetic aside these tanks are getting adequate flow.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
To what end? Whether it's rimless or not, pushing the aesthetic aside these tanks are getting adequate flow.
I don't see how. I have a 2075 - which is pretty beefy on a tank this size at 330 gph or 19 turnovers per hour - with inline components on a 60p ( 17 gallon tank ) and a 17mm lily pipe and I sometimes wish there was MORE flow. I get some dead spots when the plants get thick. Lily pipes are simply not very effective at distributing water. They look nice, but a spraybar or adjustable jet nozzles are far superior - especially on a bigger tank.

Last edited by TexasCichlid; 03-25-2013 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: .
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I don't see how. I have a 2075 - which is pretty beefy on a tank this size at 330 gph or 19 turnovers per hour - with inline components on a 60p ( 17 gallon tank ) and a 17mm lily pipe and I sometimes wish there was MORE flow. I get some dead spots when the plants get thick. Lily pipes are simply not very effective at distributing water. They look nice, but a spraybar or adjustable jet nozzles are far superior - especially on a bigger tank.
I don't know those tanks look pretty good. What kind of issues are you having with the 2075 on your 17 gallon? i can't imagine how your having flow issues on a 2 -ft tank with a 2075.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
I don't know those tanks look pretty good. What kind of issues are you having with the 2075 on your 17 gallon? i can't imagine how your having flow issues on a 2 -ft tank with a 2075.
You figure it would be white water rapids, but I just perceive the flow as "adequate." Plants barely sway. If you get right in the line of the lily pipe, flow is strong, otherwise, it's meh. I'd love an acrylic spraybar.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You figure it would be white water rapids, but I just perceive the flow as "adequate." Plants barely sway. If you get right in the line of the lily pipe, flow is strong, otherwise, it's meh. I'd love an acrylic spraybar.
So it sounds like you just prefer more flow, but if your plants are barely swaying that is more than adequate. You don't necessarily have to 'see' flow for it to be more than adequate for delivery of co2/ferts.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

On my 72G (4-ft) tank I showed above. It is powered by one Eheim 2215 (which you know is pretty weak flow-wise), but there are no issues with the plants. This is some pics of pearling from the tank.