Help me decide.....sump or wet/dry
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (81/100%)

Help me decide.....sump or wet/dry

Alrite, new setup is coming and I'm trying to decide on a filter. This is a smaller tank and the main reason I am choosing between these 2 types of filters is to help keep the water level in the main tank somewhat constant. I hate having to top off everyday. This tank will have co2 but whatever I go with will be sealed to help minimize loss. I'm leaning more towards a wet/dry just because it seems like it is easier to maintain, mostly keep the mech filter clean. Also, the benefit of higher o2 and being able to inject more co2 is also a plus. Just wanna hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks for looking
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Noise. Do you like the sound of trickling water or not? Either a sump or wet/dry can be run with some sort of drain silencer, Herbie/Durso though. A sump with a Herbie just has whatever pump hum cannot be silenced.

I hated rinsing out the mat on top of the wet dry. Had to as it clogged and water bypassed the bioballs. Now I rinse the sponges every couple months. Either way I have a prefilter that gets rinsed out often.

Gotta love the constant water level! Getting all the equipment out of the tank is great, now that I have an actual tank serving as sump I can even take the thermometer out if I like. Hard to read down there though!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

Tank will be in the living room so noise will be an issue. I won't have a traditional overflow but one of those diy pvc ones. I think those are a bit easier to hide behind stems and cheaper to boot. I've read those can be a bit noisy but most of it can be muffled to near silent. My cabinet is fully sealed except for the gaps in the door and whatever holes for plumbing so that might also help with the noise. I would just put some foam to cover up some the gaps in the plumbing holes.

I will have to diy this filter regardless so I want to try to plan things out where I can either make the baffles adjustable to where I can do a wet/dry or plain old sump if I chose without having to wait a whole day for the silicone to cure. I'm thinking to just make my first section big enough for the wet/dry and make the second section just big enough for media containers. Then the third for the return pump.

Any other reasons to go with either choice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Help me decide.....sump or wet/dry

Sump over wet dry especially if noise is an issue
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Trailryder927

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a 75 reef set up that I got out of. Starting up a 55 gallon planted and see where it goes. I was an absolute fan of the sump setup. I loved being able to hide all the equipment. The constant water level was nice too. Also, an auto top off unit with a float switch and power head are quite cheap and very handy. As for the overflow, I HIGHLY recommend a Durso valve. You can get all the parts from Home Depot/Lowes or your local hardware store for less than 8$. I had a hard time getting my levels to stay all in sync and wanted the noise to drop. This worked beautifully. Great videos on youtube as well. Just my .02!
Trailryder927 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder927 View Post
I had a 75 reef set up that I got out of. Starting up a 55 gallon planted and see where it goes. I was an absolute fan of the sump setup. I loved being able to hide all the equipment. The constant water level was nice too. Also, an auto top off unit with a float switch and power head are quite cheap and very handy. As for the overflow, I HIGHLY recommend a Durso valve. You can get all the parts from Home Depot/Lowes or your local hardware store for less than 8$. I had a hard time getting my levels to stay all in sync and wanted the noise to drop. This worked beautifully. Great videos on youtube as well. Just my .02!
the fluctuatign water levels are due to siphon changes.
im going to guess, you have a 1 inch drain line and are running at least 300 gph, if not more
Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

One of the main things that is steering me into doing a wet/dry is because of the o2 exchange ala tom barr and a few others. This will be a high light high co2 tank so that extra co2 is a plus. How efficient are sumps with this kind of gas exchange?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokturnalkid View Post
One of the main things that is steering me into doing a wet/dry is because of the o2 exchange ala tom barr and a few others. This will be a high light high co2 tank so that extra co2 is a plus. How efficient are sumps with this kind of gas exchange?
Depends on ur surface area. and baffle setup.
but a wet/dry can be made to run silently with good planning
DO NOT ASSUME a durso will fix ur problems. it won't

i have a wet/dry on my 75 gallon tank. i run high light, c02, and my fish are spawning. all are healthy and happy. it started iwth amy 29 gallon. i WILL NOT have any other type of filtration ever since going wet/dry
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

Wet/dry has many advantages, my favorite being, given proper placement of the tank, you can plumb through the wall into an area that accommodates a larger sump and easier access. My reef tank sump is in the garage behind the tank. I can make all the mess I need! I think the "pros" on the forum will have to give testimony as to how the high flow rates affect CO2 transience though. Seems like it would be harder to keep it exposed with all the water movement.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrankwhat View Post
Wet/dry has many advantages, my favorite being, given proper placement of the tank, you can plumb through the wall into an area that accommodates a larger sump and easier access. My reef tank sump is in the garage behind the tank. I can make all the mess I need! I think the "pros" on the forum will have to give testimony as to how the high flow rates affect CO2 transience though. Seems like it would be harder to keep it exposed with all the water movement.
Higher flow does bust out some co2.
But this is largely affected by drain setup. I cut my co2 consumption in half running the same flow rate but going to a larger drain that didnt pull as much air in.
Likewise a herbie or bean animal setup will use less co2 because the majority of the drain is a full siphon
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

The good part about a sump, is if you have one or build one with the option to easily add or remove a drip tray/area.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

Definately going to build one. Looks like I am leaning more towards the wet/dry. I've been by a few that have been dead silent including the drain. I guess proper design will negate the noise. With my intent of running high co2 levels, the added o2 from a wet/dry will help out tons. Also, I do not mind the co2 loss. The way I look at it, one refill is cheaper than a tankfull of fish/shrimp. This will be a planted first. Also, the so called nitrate factory that is a wet/dry can only help plants anyways.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

yeah, that concern only lies with a reef tank where nitrates are bad for the inverts and corals. I'm using a 75 gallon tank that I baffled. I use baskets with micron socks and occasional carbon and any chemical sponges I may need. Nothing beats the extra water volume.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #14
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I'm plannin on adding an extra baffle or two on my build. My plan was to run a coarse sponge on my drip tray, then the wet/dry. The next baffle will force water to go through filter floss or whatever else media I plan on using. Last chamber would have my return pump and a small rio pump that I have for chopping up co2.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #15
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Can you actually run a wet dry at a higher co2 ppm than with a canister?
It seems that some of you are claiming that? I didn't think that was possible but you learn something new everyday.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.