Diatoms, my nemesis - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 AM   #16
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Diatoms, my nemesis

I honestly don't know how my 5g hasn't has algae since the cycling phase (diatoms). It's well planted and photoperiod is 18hrs+ (finnex ray 2). No CO2. Flourish and Excel was being dosed up until about 3 months ago. Tank has been up since Sept 2012. I've been overdosing some other microferts the past few weeks. I'm using plain ol Houston tap water (7.6-8.0ph) for top offs. I don't normally do water changes on it. I think I've only done maybe 3-4 during the lifespan of the tank. Filter is a ZooMed 501 stuffed full of matrix, purigen, and a sponge on the impeller side. Never cleaned the filter and I'm scared to change anything I'm doing to the tank. Stock is 8 green striped pencilfish, 2 banded pygmy sunfish, 1 dwarf puffer, 2 o-cats, 2 amano shrimp, 1 Cory hasbrosus, and a ton of blue velvet shrimp. Microworms, blackworms, and some pellet foods are fed every now and then (about once every two weeks?).

I must be doing something right!

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
I honestly don't know how my 5g hasn't has algae since the cycling phase (diatoms). It's well planted and photoperiod is 18hrs+ (finnex ray 2). No CO2. Flourish and Excel was being dosed up until about 3 months ago. Tank has been up since Sept 2012. I've been overdosing some other microferts the past few weeks. I'm using plain ol Houston tap water (7.6-8.0ph) for top offs. I don't normally do water changes on it. I think I've only done maybe 3-4 during the lifespan of the tank. Filter is a ZooMed 501 stuffed full of matrix, purigen, and a sponge on the impeller side. Never cleaned the filter and I'm scared to change anything I'm doing to the tank. Stock is 8 green striped pencilfish, 2 banded pygmy sunfish, 1 dwarf puffer, 2 o-cats, 2 amano shrimp, 1 Cory hasbrosus, and a ton of blue velvet shrimp. Microworms, blackworms, and some pellet foods are fed every now and then (about once every two weeks?).

I must be doing something right!

Seems your plant biomass is very high and also, you have a lot of shade so PAR at substrate is probably much less. Excel is probably also supplying the Carbon demand for the plants as well as being an herbicide. 18+hrs though? Thats a ton, and tells me you sleep for like 6 hours a night.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Re: Diatoms, my nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
Seems your plant biomass is very high and also, you have a lot of shade so PAR at substrate is probably much less. Excel is probably also supplying the Carbon demand for the plants as well as being an herbicide. 18+hrs though? Thats a ton, and tells me you sleep for like 6 hours a night.
I haven't dosed excel in a long while. I have the light on a timer. I do sleep about 6 hours on most mornings since I usually work nights.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lol, Mistahoo! Houston Tap for the win! It seems once a tank finally settles in it does great from there on out. Just those first few months of being driven insane. I think we should test that theory and just ignore it for a few months, then start actually working with it. Need to set up a few in the garage and forget they are running...