Diatoms, my nemesis
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Diatoms, my nemesis

What's up TPT,
Over the past months, I have read about people's woes with BGA, BBA, Thread and hair algaes. I want to shed light on my worst enemy in this hobby. DIATOMS. I don't get it but it seems I manage to reinitialize them in my tank. First time I got my 2.5 month long bloom I knew it was my fault. I had essentially stirred the substrate. So yea i deserved that. Just a few days ago I noticed a bit of browning around some leaves.

Now, my Hydrocytle Tripartia is always my first sign of attack since the brown appears very easily against the light green leaves. Its been 2 months of good growth in the tank and now wth, diatoms just decided DGAF, im moving in. The only possible thing I can say I did was yes I trimmed the Hydrocytle last week and pulled up a bit a substrate but not enough to have aquasoil dropping off. If anything the water had some particles floating in it.

So my question is, who also hates diatoms, does biological filtration play into them coming back, how do people quickly get rid of it, and how easy are they to re induce?

P.S. Spread is relatively slow right now, but if I see it spread to a clean leaf I have identified as my current base case, im going to 48 hr blackout. Last time, that's what did it for me.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I'm with you. It's been in my tank for 9 months. I bought a pleco to clean most of it, which has helped to control the ugly brown. I've looked for a cause and I'm stumped. It's certainly not new tank syndrome. Like you, green plants are "dipped" in brown.

Can any one offer up a solution to this?
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Zlookup
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had amazing success using the one two punch thread's method. I wasn't really targeting them or anything but the H2o2 and excel eliminated it after a few days. Using a turkey baster to blow it off surfaces during and after treatment once or twice a day was all it took. Probably don't need to use the turkey baster but I think it helped speed up the removal.
Zlookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Diatoms, my nemesis

Thanks. I'll look up the 1 2 punch thread.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Let me know if it works for you!
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
I'm with you. It's been in my tank for 9 months. I bought a pleco to clean most of it, which has helped to control the ugly brown. I've looked for a cause and I'm stumped. It's certainly not new tank syndrome. Like you, green plants are "dipped" in brown.

Can any one offer up a solution to this?

Try phos guard or phos zorb in your filter, as it might be excess phosphate and silicates in your tap water. If you can find a tap water analysis for your area that would also be good.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 AM   #7
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

same here, diatoms are my nemesis. some people said they are typical of new tanks but my tanks have been running for a year and their still not gone. I plan to fight diatoms with increased water movement, adding more plants like water sprites, water lettuce, etc to use up the excess nutrients, and adding co2 and increasing my lights. I'll give you guys an update, if I'm successful
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
mpkee007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

ottos and amano shrimp destroyed my diatoms. was gone in 2 days.
mpkee007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
water hyacinth
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shrimp (especially amano) and malaysian trumpet snails decimated my diatoms and didn't do anything to the plants.
water hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Rbp917
Algae Grower

Otos eat diatoms at an amazing rate.
Rbp917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 Green Flash

Diatoms are far more problematic in hard water situations where there is an abundance of silicates and minerals that are in your tap water. In my hard water tanks I have given up battling it and just rely on solid Excel dosing and light management. Even with those, diatoms can grom and thrive with even ambiant light from the room, so that is something else to consider. Usually other algaes outcompete it for nutrient sources. What are your parameters, it might help in determining a possible source/culprit
Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

so when dealing with diatoms is it better to raise the light on your tank a few inches?
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemenoi View Post
+1 Green Flash

Diatoms are far more problematic in hard water situations where there is an abundance of silicates and minerals that are in your tap water. In my hard water tanks I have given up battling it and just rely on solid Excel dosing and light management. Even with those, diatoms can grom and thrive with even ambiant light from the room, so that is something else to consider. Usually other algaes outcompete it for nutrient sources. What are your parameters, it might help in determining a possible source/culprit

Thanks for mentioning the hard water part. I have very hard water.....I bet that's the problem....combined with direct sunlight. I've been dosing with excel with little change. Do you double the dose?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Im not recommending it, but does API Algaefix work on diatoms?

Ive always had diatoms, I hate it. The only time I didnt have diatoms was when my tank was 100% stuffed with plants which were growing like crazy. Plants were so busy trying to out compete each other that there really was no room for algae.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
Gold Finger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
Thanks for mentioning the hard water part. I have very hard water.....I bet that's the problem....combined with direct sunlight. I've been dosing with excel with little change. Do you double the dose?
+1 Mnemenoi, but, hey! don't kill off the diatomes. They say the devil you know is better than the one you don't know. You are going to have one form of algae or another to some degree and that degree is determined by high levels of plants and non limiting nutrients balance with correct flow ligh and CO2... you know, the basic stuff. If you kill the diatoms by any means other than a better balance of the above mentioned you are goin to end up with an algae which does not wipe right off of your plants and may really mess them up. That being said. Glut (excel) will kill any and all algae if you really want to add it for the rest of your life and diatoms win out when silicates are abundent. If it were phosphates but not silicates you would have a different algae. Honestly, you can poison them or try to reduce silicates or phosphates but why not be patient and try to better balance your lights, ferts, CO2, etc.? They will slowly recede to near extinction all the while serving as a guide to how well balanced your tank is. Meanwhile, be glad you have the easiest algae of all to remove.

Ver. 2.0 bare bottom same tank another approach (defunct)

Ver. 3.0 Pool filter sand same tank now

Farming Algae

Goldfish are among the worst fish for beginners.
Gold Finger is offline   Reply With Quote