Moving to Gainesville, any tips on the plant/fish scene up there?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

Moving to Gainesville, any tips on the plant/fish scene up there?

Hi everyone

So last week I got placed at Shands Hospital/UF for my Anesthesiology residency and will be moving out there from CO late May. Just wanted to say hi and ask what clubs/shops are good for plants out that way? Its not something we really get to look into while on the interview trail!

Cheers,

Ryan
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
lindavon
Algae Grower

Stumbled (well almost literally) into one last week. Was down there with a family member at the Shands movement disorder center and pulled over to make a phone call and found this place. Better than anything I've found in Jacksonville. http://www.gainesvillefish.com/
They are heavier on the reef side and I didn't spend much time on the fish but better plant selection than I've found elsewhere. Ironically my daughter lived literally just behind this place last year and I never knew it was there
Good luck with your residency!
lindavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

^x2 Aquatropics was always my go to place while I lived in Gainesville. Get to know the owner, he's pretty good about getting most special orders. The plant selection is par at best compared to other LFS I've visited in other cities. Ask about the dechlor and fish food special. If you buy a certain brand and size, he will refill the old bottle/container for 1/2 price.
Most plant stuff, I got from locals or forums. Locals are kind of hard to find as most don't visit forums frequently, but introduce yourself around Aquatropics with staff and other customers. I found quite a few planted tank junkies that way.
Also check out APE. It is run by a Gainesville native. He's also the owner of Greenleaf Aquariums. I'm not sure if he still meets locals rather than shipping, but it's worth asking.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
zimbo
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

thanks for the info everyone!
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Rcguerra
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

First things first: Go Gators!

Now that I have your attention, please take a look at the Aquatic Gardeners of Florida. They have a presence on Facebook that you can find HERE and from time to time they organize events to trade plants. We are predominantly Orlando-based (I live in Winter Park) but a weekend drive to Orlando might be a good fit for you no matter what.
Rcguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
newms
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I second that Go Gators!

I'm in Gainesville as well. I've always had good experiences with the staff at Aquatropics. The plant selection is fairly low tech and I wish they would modernize the selection a bit, but I think they can special order pretty much anything from Florida Aquatic Nurseries (http://www.floridaaquatic.com/). Watch out for non-aquatic plants in the tanks though.

They seem to bulk buy fish and you will occasionally see a floater. However, if you want to buy a fish and you're concerned about its health, they will gladly hold it for you.

As for saltwater, wow they are amazing with coral and have a very wide selection of saltwater livestock. (They also have a giant Florida lobster that's not for sale. Every time I see the thing I dream of eating it. )
newms is offline   Reply With Quote