Will 2 t5ho bulbs over 50g with no co2 cause an algae bloom?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Will 2 t5ho bulbs over 50g with no co2 cause an algae bloom?

Question stated in title. Will two t5ho bulbs over a 50g tank (24" tall) with no pressurized co2 cause an algae bloom? I currently only have one bulb, and the algae is pretty under control... but the plants don't seem to be doing too well.

Flora is only Taiwan moss, java ferns, a couple dying Amazon swords, and dwarf sag.

Or will the high light end up melting the java ferns?

Thanks-
caykuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm I somehow completely forgot my own past experience when I posted this thread.... I DID have a huge hair algae problem with no injected co2 and high light.

I wonder if there's a way to delete my thread... :x
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

yeah 2 HO bulbs could cause an algae bloom. that alot of light.

i have a 55 low tech with 1 T5 HO bulb andhave great growth out of all my mosses, ferns, and crypts.

Is the one bulb that you are currently running an old bulb by chance?

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's good to hear! The only mosses growing well in mine are the ones closer than a foot from the bulb. :s My java ferns have grown about 10 new leaves in the past 5 months.

The bulb I have is almost 2 years old. How long before I need to switch to a new one?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
stevekx500
Algae Grower

From what I have read online in the past people usually replace their bulbs every 6 months to a yr... I replace all my t5 bulbs every Jan @ the start of a new yr... SUCKS cause I have 6 tanks - 5 of which have t5 bulb fixtures that total to 16 bulbs... Gets PRICEY!!!
stevekx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
res34
Algae Grower

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that ammonia is the big factor when it comes to algae blooms. Control that and you should be able to hinder/prevent them from happening.

But just like what everyone else is saying, limiting how much light will definitely help in algae bloom prevention.
res34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haha yeahhh this tank has been going on for two years, so no worries on the ammonia LMAO... but what you read somewhere would also include nitrates, which do contribute to algae over time. That's why we do water changes. But lighting is another factor. :P

6 months to a year? I guess that would make my bulb REALLY expired. I hope I can get a bit more input on this!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
stevekx500
Algae Grower

Google it... Might find some other info on other websites as well...
stevekx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #9
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

I think light intensity drops off after 12 months with the t-5s. I change them every 10 months in my reef tank because the corals are more sensitive to the spectrum loss than plants. A lot depends on how long you run them every day too.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

If you have two T5HO bulbs, in a Coralife fixture, and it is a foot above the top of the tank, you will not even have enough light for anubias to grow! If you have two T5HO bulbs, in an ATI fixture, and it sits on top of the tank, you will probably have bad algae problems even if you do use CO2.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have an AquaticLife fixture- what's the rep on this one?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I don't know the dimensions of that tank, but if the light is about 22 inches from the substrate you should have 50 micromols of PAR with that light fixture. (Half of that with only one bulb installed) That is too much light to expect to avoid major algae problems unless you use CO2. With one bulb you would have low light, and CO2 is good for the plants but not essential for avoiding algae problems. With 2 bulbs you could try Excel as a substitute for CO2, and there is a good chance it would be effective.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I don't know the dimensions of that tank, but if the light is about 22 inches from the substrate you should have 50 micromols of PAR with that light fixture. (Half of that with only one bulb installed) That is too much light to expect to avoid major algae problems unless you use CO2. With one bulb you would have low light, and CO2 is good for the plants but not essential for avoiding algae problems. With 2 bulbs you could try Excel as a substitute for CO2, and there is a good chance it would be effective.
Thanks for the clarification! the light is 24" from the substrate. I'm currently dosing a diluted metricide in replace of excel.

Another issue that's been preventing me from getting higher lighting and increasing excel is that I've read that moss is negatively effected by too much excel. I've stuck to lower lighting this past year, just for fear that the Taiwan moss will die off if I overdose excel to match the high lighting. Do you think this is a problem?