can i do a 2 gallon planted for betta or is that over kill?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-22-2002, 11:34 AM   #1
southflmom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The planted tank bug has bitten! I have a Betta in a 2g tank. Could I plant it for him? Would that be too hard to do/care for? I do weekly water changes for him currently and have an ugly plastic plant in there right now. He loved to sit on the plant and I was thinking he may enjoy the real thing. I assume I woudl defintly need CO2 but is it even worth trying for a 2 gallon?
southflmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2002, 12:59 PM   #2
lorax
Algae Grower

It would look really nice to have a Betta with a backdrop lush green plants. If you have a two gallon, though, you might want to research so you dont get plants that will become overwhelming for the size of the tank.
lorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:03 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've got a 2.5 gallon nano planted tank on my desk here at work and it's a lot of fun, but I haven't been able to get much to grow except algae. I've a 13w CF bulb over it, and even recently added a 1-liter CO2 bottle with an airstone underneath one half of one of those clear little egg things you get toys out of at the supermarket. I haven't been supplementing with micro/macronutrients, though, so I just added 1 ml of Yamato Green and 1ml of Flourish Potassium today. Let's see if that does the trick!

I've got some Anubias var Nana and E. Tennulus in there for now.

It's definitely worth trying. For a heater, go with one of those small 7.5w non-thermostatic heaters. All they do is apply enough heat to raise the temperature of the water a constant 5-8 degrees above room temp for a tank that is 2-5 gallons.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:04 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

True lorax, now that I'm thinking about it, some Crypt becketti probably wouldn't get bigger than the tank, either. I've got some at home and I think I'll bring a few to try in this tank!
Old 11-23-2002, 01:32 PM   #5
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

3 Gallon Planted Uugh, ok, I'm only fixing this one more time, if it doesnt work, to bad! Ok, I have a 3 gallon planted tank for my betta (not the one in the picture!) that I just started. Haven't figured out what staying or not.. (open to suggestions 8 w N.O. Flores on tank) Anyway, yes, It's very worth it! go for it, y not? The link at the top, is of a planted tank for a betta. In the originial message it came down here, but, im to lazy to move it... lol
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 03:52 PM   #6
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is also a form of an amazon sword called a Compacta Sword, which could be a nice center piece, the don't get much bigger than 6" tall.

-Tim
Old 11-23-2002, 05:23 PM   #7
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Sure its worth it. He'll be like KIng betta, considering all his brothers and sisters are in little glass jars. I think its a great idea.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote