Everybody seems to be selling shrimp over the last few days...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Talking

Everybody seems to be selling shrimp over the last few days...

Anybody else checkout the Sponsor's Forum? Seems like everyone is starting to sell shrimp and not only that, but they are quality shrimp too. We all know what that means right? Soon enough everyone is going to start breeding the higher grades and prices should drop drastically. If I were a breeder sitting on a tank full of nice shrimp I would try to dump them pretty soon if you are trying to make money....this is just like the stock market.

I was about to go post some of my SS culls for sale but I'll just bring them to a local pet store which sells CRS and such. It's not worth it seeing that you can readily get higher grades instead of trying to breed your own from culls.

Is this the most for sale threads you've seen? I just recently joined here (even though I've started with shrimp in 2005) but it seems like there might be an influx of stock. However, much of it is still being imported from Asia so the US breeders need to step it up.

What do you think?
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

It looks like it's all folks setting up licenses to import from the Asian shrimp farms. Actual breeding doesn't seem any more or less common than a few years ago. And as for prices....the bottom line even for common stuff like cherry shrimp still seems to stay the same, but the price of "rare" things is dropping.
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
reefdive
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/90%)

High quality shrimp and Rare Shrimp command the price because of a couple reasons . They could just have small broods and variations in the offspring ( Shadow aka KK and WR ) . Or the offspring could be difficult to get to breed true ( Black and Blue Tigers ) . Another example would be High Grade Rili , most come out mixed and the nice ones are only a small percentage ( They are all nice but with a red head and tail ) . The cheaper Shrimp are cheaper for a reason they breed truer and much quicker . SSS take longer and more effort to breed than S so the price difference will always be there . Neo's will drop in price much quicker when a new type comes along than say Cardina . Shrimp with more exacting requirement's will always run more as an example Sulewasi types . Even with 3000 gallons my production is only a drop in the bucket . Outdoor production will always be cheaper and labor is cheaper in othe countries ( Plus the shrimp grow bigger and faster outside just like fish ) . Kind of like the other economic realities of producing something here in the US . I think markets for shrimp are pretty stable at the moment . And if the economy turns around we will likely see prices increase . Even if every shrimp bought here was produced here the pricing may surprise you ( they would go up some way up ) . It take's a lot of input in space , equipement , time ( often not realized or the cost added ) and just plain money to raise shrimp . The real cost is not realized by most hobbyist who sell for below recognized prices . Price's do come down as supply increase's but for most shrimp there are enough being produced to meet demand . So I do not think any dramatic price drops will be seen anytime soon .
reefdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I also think more shrimp are being sold as the weather is warming due to their increased breeding rates. But yea it's really good more people are getting into the shrimping hobby!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

The selling should slow down once the weather gets really hot in the summer months. I'm sure it's going to be pretty difficult to ship even with ice packs.

I also think that many people will lose their shrimp in the summer. I bet there will be tons of threads about people's shrimp dying or getting infections. Just my prediction.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

It seems like most of the larger sellers have accounts in multiple markets in case of minor fluctuations. Remember the RAOK craze a few back? There were some offers that would have been gone in a heartbeat just sitting around for days.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Old thread from last year but I'm seeing the same thing this month. Looks like everyone is selling shrimp and they are cheaper than ever. All you breeders out there better unload before the prices get even lower.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Can't wait till TB prices for 10 or 5 bucks
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Can't wait till TB prices for 10 or 5 bucks
It'll happen eventually. Back in '05, I used to sell Cherries for 5 dollars a piece on the bay, that's how I made money in college.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
I also think more shrimp are being sold as the weather is warming due to their increased breeding rates. But yea it's really good more people are getting into the shrimping hobby!
that would be my guess, ive been waiting since nov. for the damn weather to get nicer so i can order some more shrimp. ive still got a few more weeks but getting closer.
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Old thread from last year but I'm seeing the same thing this month. Looks like everyone is selling shrimp and they are cheaper than ever. All you breeders out there better unload before the prices get even lower.
This also tends to be seasonal. It's getting about that time of year where shipping is becoming less of a hassle due to temps
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Default Everybody seems to be selling shrimp over the last few days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
This also tends to be seasonal. It's getting about that time of year where shipping is becoming less of a hassle due to temps
This is true but they are cheaper this year than they were last year. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea, I just sold out on my rilis in 2 days! Time to setup a new tank!
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
EKLiu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

Most shrimp prices drop in price over time if the shrimp is popular. That's a good thing IMHO since high prices keep people out of the hobby. BKK used to cost 4 figures!
EKLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

now if only i could afford the substrate for them lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote