Mr. Aqua 6g Bookshelf CRS tank - Split seam! - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #76
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Time for an update. This tank has spawned four new ones! In one way or another anyway.

1) The actual tank that leaked and I resealed will be my first attempt at an actual iwagumi. I'm getting some ohko stone from Han and I'll probably just get some HC locally when the time comes to set it up. No pics yet.

2) The 60-f. I had been planning on setting this one up and moving the CRS into it, but the leak kind of moved up the time table for it. I still have more moss coming for it, and some anubias petite and mini bolbitis to add, but it's mostly done at this point. It's been running for about a week and half and the shrimp have been in it for a few days. It has the substrate from the leaky tank and bio from two tanks so it's cycled and everything. Just needs to fill in. A lot. The scape was strongly influenced by youjettisome's old 60f layouts, although mine isn't nearly as nice.

3) I got one of the little cadlight's 3 gallon low iron tanks awhile ago and it had been sitting empty. I also had the wood leftover from the 6 gallon. I was actually going to trade it locally for some stones, but since I traded Han for some, I decided to keep the wood. I cut it down to fit and thus my new desktop tank has been born:

4) The replacement tank that was sent to me is going to be my pico reef. Got the rock structure set up last night and going to get sand for it today. Will start cycling it tomorrow. I already have my clown goby and 5 sexy shrimp in our QT tank and they're doing well. Got some zoa and paly frags over the weekend which are currently in one of my husband's tanks.

I'm going to start an all-in-one thread soon so I can just keep track of everything in one place. Probably won't post any more updates on this thread.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #77
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Glad to see the update!

Have you started a reef journal on any of the other forums?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #78
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No, I haven't. I don't belong to any of the reef forums, at least not yet. My husband belongs to the local San Diego one, but it's mostly used for the classifieds. I'll probably post updates on it here once I get my consolidated thread going as I've seen other reef tanks on here from time to time.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #79
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Nano-Reef.com is pretty solid for pico tank journals. Reef Central, as well. (3reef is another)

Sometimes you run into rude/inappropriate people but they're great places to learn and get quick answers.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #80
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I am finally pulling the trigger on one of these. It will be an upgrade for my office betta for now, and an opae ula tank in it's next reincarnation.

Any particular light you would recommend for this? Looking for medium light, no cO2.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #81
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not sure what to recommend for lighting with a long, shallow tank like this. It's the same type of issue that everyone in the 12 gallon club was running into where everything needs raised up. If you're already planning on hanging it, then just about anything could work. Fugeray, double bright, a single t5, etc, etc. Comes down to personal preference. I will say the light that comes with the kit has really grown on me. I like crisp, white light that the daylight and blue led combo gives you.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #82
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Current's LED+ fixture could work really well on this tank because it can be easily dimmed.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #83
jona31
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

jeese some of that driftwoods real beautiful where di you get it from?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #84
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

i cant watch your saltwater tank journal! I'm so scared of getting addicted to SW especially if you have clown fish and/or watchman guppy + pistol shrimp. *drools*
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #85
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jona31 View Post
jeese some of that driftwoods real beautiful where di you get it from?
Both the piece in the 6 gallon and the piece in the 60f I found at lfs. Two different ones actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
i cant watch your saltwater tank journal! I'm so scared of getting addicted to SW especially if you have clown fish and/or watchman guppy + pistol shrimp. *drools*
I won't have either in my tank because of the size, but my husband has both. Kind of. He has two clowns and a candy cane pistol shrimp in his 20G. He had a yasha hase goby, but it jumped through the mesh top he has on the tank. He hasn't replaced it yet, but he might get a yellow watchman since they're too chubby to fit through the mesh. Mine's only going to have a yellow clown goby and sexy shrimp. I might add a pom pom crab as well.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #86
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ordered! With a Current + (thanks somewhatshocked!) for lighting.

Really looking forward to your reef! Mine will be opae ula eventually, and I am dying to see how your salty setup progresses.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #87
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
I bought it on 3/20 and set it up on 3/21 so it lasted exactly 3 months. I'm not sure if they have any kind of warranty, but I know I don't have a receipt or anything with a proof of purchase date anymore. I'm considering re-siliconing it, but since I don't know what I'm doing I'm afraid the same thing will happen. We'll see.
All Mr. Aqua tanks have a one year warranty. A leaking tank is not very common with our tanks but if it does... make sure you keep that receipt and get that thing exchanged. Sorry to hear that.

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #88
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

great tanks
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #89
bigd603
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

If any one lives near the Portland, OR area, the Wet Spot is selling just the tank for only $45, the complete kit is about $128.
bigd603 is online now   Reply With Quote