Mr. Aqua 6g Bookshelf CRS tank - Split seam! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #46
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Shrimp are doing well. I was really nervous since this was my first time with CRS, but everyone seems healthy. I've only been able to count 8, but I haven't seen any bodies either. I'm hoping I just haven't been able to see them all at once. They're still so little that's it's easy to overlook them.

Plants are also doing well. Hydrocotyle is growing very quickly. The crypts haven't melted which is a miracle. The one is the back came out of the substrate some so I need to push it back in when I do a water change. I have a few more I might add as well.

Now for the not so good news. And there's quite a bit of it.
  • I have GDA that just won't go away. I was hoping the reduced lighting would do it, but nope. I also closed the curtain on the window behind it. I had been leaving it open so the plants in the hob could get some light in the morning when the sun comes in that window. The black tint on the back of the tank also blocks UVs, so I thought that would have taken care of the sun but maybe not. I've been dosing some, so I don't think it's low nutrients. Next step will be further reducing the lighting period.
  • I scraped the glass some this weekend so I could actually see my shrimp and I just noticed today that I got a scratch in my glass
  • I lost most of my fry. They're just so tiny I didn't know what the heck to feed them. I tried powdered fish food, soaking the powdered food in water to make a paste/liquid, and baby brine. There are probably about 5 or so left in there, at least from what I can see. There may be more. Hopefully these ones are getting big enough that they'll make it.
  • Snails everywhere! I keep pulling them out and feeding them to my puffer, but I can't keep up. The original couple I put in laid a million eggs when the wood had fungus on it. Apparently it's like strawberries and champagne for snails.

Finally a couple pictures:

Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #47
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I can't wait for these to be sold as tank only. Yours is gorgeous, and such a great size!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #48
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks you! And yes, it really is a nice size. So much more manageable than the 12 gallons longs. I wish I had another one of these and one less 12 long. It would be a great little high tech tank.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #49
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added a couple plants (some ludwigia, blyxa, another anubias, and a crypt), cleaned the glass, and did a minor trim/replant on the hydrocotyle yesterday. Had to swap out the two ACs for a canister for the summer. The tank is in front of a window which was perfect before, but it's getting too hot so I need to keep the "thermal" curtains closed. Also added some boraras maculatus. I had actually bought them for my 12, but since I sold it these guys needed a home. I'm not sure how they'll do once I have shrimplets though. They're pretty voracious little buggers. Much different than the microdevario kubotai I had with my blue velvets. GDA seems to finally be getting under control. I'm not sure if it's the lack of morning sun or just from the tank maturing.

FTS...

...a couple crs...

...and a lone bv hitchhiker.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #50
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow your tank looks great. I was wondering what happened to your fry?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #51
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy199413 View Post
Wow your tank looks great. I was wondering what happened to your fry?
They didn't make it. Most of them died off early on, but I had a couple I thought had grown big enough to survive but they just disappeared one day. I'd been feeding powdered pellets and baby brine, but I think they were just too small. Maybe if the tank had been running for longer and there had been more "stuff" for them to pick at they would have made it.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #52
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

For everyone following this thread, Marine Depot is now selling this tank alone for $66.39.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #53
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

the fry probably got sucked up into the filter, you might try a sponge pre filter
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #54
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
For everyone following this thread, Marine Depot is now selling this tank alone for $66.39.
I saw that! They have the two smaller available as well. I'd love to see some other journals with this tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
the fry probably got sucked up into the filter, you might try a sponge pre filter
I didn't have this filter on when I had the fry, I had Aquaclears with fine sponge prefilters (the fluval ones). Once my shrimp are berried I'll have to add a prefilter to this one or buy some finer mesh.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #55
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

The more I look at this tank, the more I want one.

Must. Resist.

It's the perfect size for shrimp!
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #56
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do it! Do it! You're shutting down one of your 20s, right? Perfect excuse.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #57
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I missed having my planted hobs on here, so I decided to raise the light and put the hobs back on. I figured that since I had to add screen to cut the light intensity that this would be killing two birds with one stone. Right now there are just a couple clippings of pothos and pilea, but I think I'm going to add back in most, if not all, of the giant pile of pothos I had in there before. It looks nice, but it makes the hobs hard to clean. Hopefully the light works out for both the hob plants and the the tank itself. It's been like this for about a week and so far so good. Some good news and some bad news on the algae front. I think since I refused to scrape the GDA that it went through it's lifecycle (is that what it's called?) and is finally going away. Weird clean holes started popping up here and there and then the snails finally started eating it, which they never did before. It's almost gone now, especially on the front glass. However I noticed that in addition to the hair/thread algae that I knew I had in my moss there is a little bit of... staghorn? It's only one or two spots on the wood as far as I can tell.

I took the fish out too. As much as I like having fish in my tanks I got some new shrimp from somewhatshocked today and I didn't want them picking on the smaller ones. I'm undecided on what I'll do from here. Knowing me I'll throw them all back in at the first sign of a nematode. The new shrimp all arrived safely. No DOAs and so far everyone is doing well in the tank.

Time for a couple pictures. The new light and filter setup:

And a couple of the shrimps:

ETA: Just to clarify, I didn't lose my other CRS. I just couldn't pass up a deal and wanted to add to the ones I already had. I have probably around 25 or so in there now. Good thing I ordered these when I did too. Over the weekend we had a $500 vet bill and had to buy a new computer. There's no way I would have gotten them after that!

Last edited by rocksmom; 05-30-2013 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: update
rocksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #58
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My shrimp are doing well and growing fast, although no berried ones yet. I think it might be too warm for them in them my house. I think I'm going to set up a shrimp chiller for them (http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php...r-temperatures), but I don't know if I'll do it on the current tank since I already have to hobs on there, or wait until I upgrade them to their 60-f. That probably won't be for another 4-6 weeks though.

The algae I had, including the thread algae that was all through the moss, went away after raising the light up. GDA cleared up as well. I stopped scraping it and waited it out. It really worked.

An unfortunate side effect of raising the light is that my hydrocotyle is now growing really tall and messy. At first I considered pulling it out and adding blyxa around the perimeter with an open area in the center, but since this tank's days are numbered I figure I'll just leave it.

Current FTS:

Old 06-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #59
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, this afternoon the tank blew a seam. I was on my way out to meet my husband for my birthday dinner since my birthday is tomorrow and I noticed the water level was way down. I was hoping it was one of the filters, but nope. The bottom seam split somewhere along the back. Water was all over my desk, paperwork, the floor, etc. What a mess. I had my old petco bookshelf tank sitting with some shrimp sand and water in it, so I sucked out the water and transferred as much of the water from this tank as I could. Moved in the wood, plants, filters, and finally the shrimp. Hopefully I don't lose any. So far so good, but we'll see in the next day or two.

I'm pretty pissed since I haven't had this tank very long at all and I could potentially lose my shrimp. I don't know if I'm going to try to resilicone it myself or just sell it for cheap to someone who can do it.

Here's my temporary setup:

I added some floating plants to help with any ammonia spike that might happen. I also have 5 gallons of water waiting for the gh booster to dissolve so I can fill it up and do small water changes over the next few days.

Blah.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #60
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Ugh that's terrible. Such a beautiful tank and lovely shrimp.

On the plus side least you noticed and didn't come home to a completely empty tank and dried up shrimp.

I hope they all make it through this mini nightmare.
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote