Mr. Aqua 6g Bookshelf CRS tank - Split seam! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #31
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Got a picture today. I added it to the first post, but I'll put it here as well:

I've been keeping the water level down a little so the hobs break of the surface film, but it's a little lower than normal in the pic. I hadn't topped it off yet.

You can see how nice and low the hydrocotyle is growing where it's spreading forward. The taller stuff in the back is what I originally planted. I need to get in there and poke it down into the substrate the next time I do a water change. Starting to think about ordering my shrimp as well, probably next time speedie posts his sale thread. I have my two neon green rasboras in there right now and I can't decide if I should get a few more of those or go with the original plan of pygmy cories.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #32
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (136/100%)
Default Re: Mr. Aqua 6g Bookshelf shrimp tank - unboxing in post #2

A side note: I had 0 luck with dwarf corys in a 12g long - most of them perished .

The survivors were moved to a 36g and are doing fine. I now also have a larger school in a 10g.
My only half-sensible guess is that they might need more depth. Just something to watch out for.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #33
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the head's up. Looks like I'll stick with these guys or some other micro rasboras. I'd just do shrimp only, but the critters that pop up creep me out too much.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #34
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (62/98%)

what kind of hydrocotyle is this? and is this a low light setup?
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post
what kind of hydrocotyle is this? and is this a low light setup?
I'm pretty sure it's h. japan. It didn't come with the species name when I bought it at a lfs, but it looks very much like the h. japan I was sent by pweifan for my wabi kusa. I don't know the par value of the light because I don't have any way to test it. I'm treating it as a lower light setup (no co2 and minimal ferts), but we'll see in the longterm if I end up getting algae. All I've had so far is some GDA on the glass which is pretty normal in new setups.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #36
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (62/98%)

I might have to use that h. japan. Lowlight and stays down for foreground plant
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #37
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My assumption about the light was right. It really is bright. I've started getting bba along with the continued gda despite dosing excel every other day. I even had some pearling riccia (I don't intentionally have riccia in the tank, but there are a couple little pieces caught in the moss. I didn't notice them until they started pearling). I remembered seeing a thread by hoppy about using window screen to reduce light intensity so I thought I'd try it out. I already had some fiberglass screen so I cut a long skinny strip and used a little bead of hot glue on either end to attach it to the light. It's hard to see in the picture, but here it is:

It definitely made a difference, just hopefully not too much. My hydrocotyle will probably need a little more manipulation now to keep it growing low. My shrimp are coming in next week so hopefully between now and then I can get the bba taken care of with excel overdosing and then do a big WC a day or two before they get here.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #38
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I want one of these so much. Really beautiful tank, and I am loving your planting scheme so far!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #39
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

awesome kit!! where do i get one
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #40
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did some maintenance on the tank this weekend in preparation for my shrimp getting here. The excel wasn't getting rid of the bba, so I pulled out the java fern since it was the only thing affected and replaced it with some crypt lutea. Scraped down the glass again. I was hoping the screen on the light would cut down on the GDA, but I can already see it coming back.

The biggest change was the water. I bought a nifty little TDS pen and discovered that our water is garbage. Over 400ppm out of the tap! I was originally going to do a 50/50 mix but since our water has a ton of silicates, which leads to never ending diatoms, I decided to go with 100% RO. I used gh booster to get the water up to 160ppm with a gh of 6 and a kh of 0.

The hydrocotyle is growing nicely despite the 3 day blackout and reduced light.

I think all that's left to do is stick some prefilters on the aquaclears and I'll be ready for my brand spanking new CRS. Can't wait for Tuesday!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #41
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My shrimp are here! I ordered 10 ss grade crs and they are beeeautiful. After an hour or so of drip acclimation I added them to the tank and they were immediately flying around and munching on bio film. They're all still accounted for today, no deaths!

I also ordered pumpkins and red supremes for other tanks and they're doing great as well. Two of the pumpkins are berried already this morning! I think switching all my nanos from tap to remineralized RO was definitely a good decision. Everybody seems happy so far.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #42
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nice shrimp and photography! Where did you order?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #43
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
Nice shrimp and photography! Where did you order?
Thanks! I got them from Nick aka speedie.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #44
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's been an eventful couple days for this tank. I was watching my shrimp tonight and noticed fry swimming around! I had my microdevario kubotai in this tank up until this weekend when I did the 100% water change to switch to RO. Lucky for the babies or they would be food right now. The things are absolutely minute. For size reference the snail in the lower right is about the size of a pea.

I didn't have any fry food so I just crushed up some NLS small fish formula pellets to a fine powder. I couldn't tell if they were actually eating but they were swimming around in the cloud of food. Hard to count, but if I had to guess I'd say there are about 20 or so. I really hope they make it.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice the shrimps are solid!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.