Tell us of a chemical that you found to work wonders or at least great - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
sub-80
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
+1 Prime
+1 Melafix

& baking soda seems to be love potion #9 to get my fish to breed when i want them to.
Baking Soda? How did you come up with that? Do you know why it works and what kind do you use and how much and what kind of fish?
sub-80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

My Geophagus species, Sp. Tapajos Orangeheads/Redheads - Leucosticta's - Altifrons.

No idea why its worked, been doing it since i discovered the difference in rapid spawning back in 2009. In the wild South american fish tend to do it in low PH waters during rain season, this is a direct opposite of how baking soda effects the water. Measurements are a tad under 1/3 cup per 50 gallons. Arm & Hammer
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
cobra
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Seachem Purigen - It's a clarifier, polisher, and water purifier of the highest order, unmatched by any other product in the industry. Quickly removes/rids a tank of tannins, cloudy or greenish water conditions, and produces almost instantaneous crystal clarity - all of this without adversely affecting beneficial/essential elements within the tank water, nor plant fertilizers.
An excellent, extremely reliable product whose cost is minimal given the capacity of replenishing it's efficacy through numerous possible re-generations, using a simple 50/50 bleach/water solution.
I've used it 24/7 in my planted discus tanks for several years straight. Wouldn't be without it.
Somewhere I saw the term "magic beans" to describe Purigen. I would have to agree.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #19
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (229/100%)

Algaefix.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #20
sub-80
Planted Member

Default Re: Tell us of a chemical that you found to work wonders or at least great

Agree with the guys that include "Prime" from Seachem to the list.

"PrimeŽ is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. PrimeŽ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. PrimeŽ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. PrimeŽ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. PrimeŽ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. PrimeŽ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. PrimeŽ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. PrimeŽ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water."

Had cloudy water for a couple of days did a 50% water change but the cloudy water came back. I assumed its due to an ammonia spike because I removed most of my plants, was using a sponge filter at the time and had a large number of fish. So I doubled the dosage of prime and by morning the water was crystal clear.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
sub-80
Planted Member

Default Re: Tell us of a chemical that you found to work wonders or at least great

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), 6% concentration for cladophora removal. Used a 17 liter bucket placed 4 ml of H2O2. Placed the infected plant and mechanically removed the clado. Has been 3 weeks and no clado to be seen.

Tags
chemical, illness, maintenance, medication